Why become a member? ×

Vintera Mustang neck profile, is it the same as the JMJ?

Osiris

Has anyone tried both the Vintera and JMJ Mustang basses? If you have, are the neck profiles the same? Looking at the specs on Fenders website they have different radius fret boards which I don't mind but it's more how chunky the neck on the Vintera is that I'm curious about. They both appear to have the same nut width, 41mm and both are described as being "60's C shape". Are they essentially the same neck? 

I tried a mates JMJ a couple of weeks ago and loved the chunkier neck which felt way more substantial than the slimmer profile on my Mexican PJ Mustang. But I'm not overly fussed about the road worn finish, I much prefer the sea foam green or red Vintera finishes. If the Vintera neck is the same as the JMJ (other than fret board radius) then I might go for one of those. Anyone tried both? How do they compare? 

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

I can measure my Vintera if that helps...

I'd be interested in this. GuitarGuitar, GAK, Anderton's, etc all have the nut width as 38mm, but the Fender website says wider at 41.3mm. I'm sure Fender know best, but it'd be good to have a definitive answer (why on Earth the retailers are quoting narrower is beyond me; lazy cut and paste?)

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

I'd be interested in this. GuitarGuitar, GAK, Anderton's, etc all have the nut width as 38mm, but the Fender website says wider at 41.3mm. I'm sure Fender know best, but it'd be good to have a definitive answer (why on Earth the retailers are quoting narrower is beyond me; lazy cut and paste?)

I agree, quite frustrating! Photos just uploaded.

• Thanks 1

As far as I know it is not. The JMJ  is apparently wider at the nut.  I have a seafoam green Vintera and the neck is a very old school C shape, as in fatter front to back than a modern C profile (as in my Classic Vibe P bass, Jazz bass, 2013 Thunderbird etc). Not a baseball bat by any means but just more girth😳. It is true to the 60s spec after all. It took me a while to get used to it as all my basses have more modern shaped necks. Really cracking tone though, I mean it was a wow moment for me, especially using a pick. The pickups are quite low output compared to my other basses, but I don't care as the trade off for the tone is worth it.... and it can be eq'd anyway. 

Edited by P-Belly Evans
Talking out of my aris again....

Really helpful all. Many thanks. I suppose the frustration is the inconsistency between how these things are written between websites. Also "60s C" "modern C" and "1963 C" don't really help, when you don't know what they're describing/referring too! It just means they're different, and it's a right challenge figuring it out.

(I'm looking for the slimmest neck front to back, i.e. depth)

Ta muchly. I don't have calipers but when I return home I'll upload a picture of the nut width/neck depth on my American Performer and also my 1970s Mustang.