Why become a member? ×

Just turned 60... starting bass

zbd1960

I’ve been around for a while, but dropped out due to loads of issues with trying to find a teacher etc.

Experienced amateur musician playing cello in orchestras, so used to performing in groups. Also have a lot of experience as a choral singer. I also play sax in various groups. Mostly tenor can can do baritone and alto.

So I’ve got no probs reading music (currently working in grade 7 theory). But playing bass I’m a novice as I’ve never played any sort of guitar.

Would like play in something like a big band and jazz group.

Live in north Shropshire - about 20 miles south of Chester.

• Like 3

Hey ZBD, welcome to the forum. Good people on here....

Just turned 60? No problem. I started bass again at 58 and am now just so far into it

13 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

But playing bass I’m a novice as I’ve never played any sort of guitar.

Would like play in something like a big band and jazz group.

If you're used to playing cello...you haven't been a guitarist....and you want to play big band jazz...have you thought about an electric upright bass? Nice compromise between bass guitar and double bass. Easy to amplify and cart around. This is mine, which I use in a workshop big band:
(photo by Silvia Bluejay, from the last South-East Bass Bash),

EUB SEBB 2019.jpg

(One thing that we are VERY good at on here is trying to spend other people's money for them. You'll see lots of that...:laugh1:)

Edited by mangotango
looks better that way around...
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mangotango said:

Hey ZBD, welcome to the forum. Good people on here....

Just turned 60? No problem. I started bass again at 58 and am now just so far into it

If you're used to playing cello...you haven't been a guitarist....and you want to play big band jazz...have you thought about an electric upright bass? Nice compromise between bass guitar and double bass. Easy to amplify and cart around. This is mine, which I use in a workshop big band:
(photo by Silvia Bluejay, from the last South-East Bass Bash),

EUB SEBB 2019.jpg

(One thing that we are VERY good at on here is trying to spend other people's money for them. You'll see lots of that...:laugh1:)

...it had crossed my mind... 😂. Having recently replaced both my alto and tenor saxes, I need to feign restraint for a little while....

• Haha 1

Hi there zbd1960.
Welcome to basschat :)

As mentioned, an Electric Upright bass might be a good instrument for you to switch to
Also talked about (a little) on here, has been using a Cello as a bass
I think folk who do this usually re-string the Cello, so it's tuned like a bass
Might be worth thinking about?

And yes..... the marketplace on this forum is a great way of getting rid of money, and acquiring way too many bass-related gear :)

• 1 year later...

Apologies for going quiet for a year.... I went to NZ, nearly got stranded as lockdown hit, scrambled back to UK, and kind of lost interest in everything for a year... although I have kicked off my astornomy again after many years of not doing it (then there's the weather....).

On the plus side, I'm now retired. 

All my music making stopped. I did manage to get a few bass lessons in, albeit online, so I've made some progress on the bass. Being able to play with people would be good.

Hopefully events and meet-ups will be able to kick off shortly.  

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 2

Good on you 😁 If it's any consolation, I started playing bass when I was 12 and could hardly get my hand around the neck. Had to play it like a lap guitar at first. Nevertheless, I stuck Never Mind The Borax on and The Clash 1st LP on and didn't stop until I'd learned how to play them. I still remember how to play most of the tracks, I'm sure with your ability, you will have no problems at all! 👍 Get an album on you love and try to follow it!

I'm far from a pro at the age of 55 though!

Good luck and welcome. Again!

• Like 1

Great advice above!!!!  😅😅  Get your bank account ready!!!!   Sax and cello...........yes upright bass great recommendation.  Welcome and unless you have bought two Selmer saxes recently.........get the money ready!!!

On 06/05/2021 at 19:40, ProfJames said:

Great advice above!!!!  😅😅  Get your bank account ready!!!!   Sax and cello...........yes upright bass great recommendation.  Welcome and unless you have bought two Selmer saxes recently.........get the money ready!!!

I have a full set of SATB Yani saxes... I think we know each other from elsewhere...

• Like 1

Yes, I now have two basses... the original Fender Jazz bass and now a Marcus Miller 5 string... I finally got a bass tutor through the local Rock School. Whilst not exactly my genre, it's a way forward. I was going to be playing with them, then lockdown hit - expecting it to resume shortly.  

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I have a full set of SATB Yani saxes... I think we know each other from elsewhere...

We may well do!!!  Welcome!  I still have a Martin Master Typewriter alto but most of my time is spent on bass now, this place is a lot of fun with great mixed advice.  In addition probably the best place to purchase or sell kit.  I have bought severa; basses off here and am extremely pleased.  Not only with the kit but also the members I have met.

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Welcome again! :crigon_04:

Hopefully the Midlands Bass Bash will be on in the autumn and you can join us then. See the Events forum for date and place. 

Yes, would look forward to that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

Yes, I now have two basses... the original Fender Jazz bass and now a Marcus Miller 5 string... I finally got a bass tutor through the local Rock School. Whilst not exactly my genre, it's a way forward. I was going to be playing with them, then lockdown hit - expecting it to resume shortly.  

What year Jazz? Post up a pic. I advise you to find a small practice amp with an aux input so you can play your favorite songs thru your amp and play along. Great fun!