Why become a member? ×

Sold £3000 | Fender Precision Bass 1968 + OHSC - Owned by TM Stevens
£4200
London, UK

dballona

This is a collectors' article, besides being the best P Bass I have ever owned, without a doubt. This bass is part of the history of an incredible musician, which played with names such as Steve Vai, Neil Zaza, Cyndi Lauper, Little Steven, Tina Turner, Dan Hartman and Billy Joel and even legendary Miles Davis.

I bought this bass from a New Jersey resident who bought it from the person who did TM's Estate sale. He visited TM's house and shipped this beauty to me in Brazil, where I used to live. Now, after moving to the UK, I am playing less and less, and it makes sense to sell this to a collector/actual player, which will take care of this legacy moving forward.

Originality-wise, electronics of this bass are entirely original except for one of the pots. The pickguard is broken next to the cable jack, typical for old P basses. The body was obviously stripped and covered with glossy finishing – probably it is not nitro, I'd say it is PU. One thing that dates the stripping is that there's a picture of TM with this bass dating back to early 70s from what it seems... so it's been like that for a while. And a funny fact, when I got the bass, the neckplate was flipped. I left it as TM knows what works better.

Everything else is clearly original, and I can back up originality after collecting old Fender basses for a few years.

Included on the sale:
- Bass;
- OHSC;
- Covers (both pickup and bridge);

I will try to ship some of the memorabilia that was included in the original sale to whoever buys it. I left all of it in Brazil when I moved in as I had no intentions to sell it... if you're interested, leave me a message and I will send you more pictures.

IMG_2337.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

IMG_2330.jpeg

IMG_2329.jpeg

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

IMG_2326.jpeg

Edited by dballona
price drop
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, gareth said:

Wow all for a stripped 68 p bass with split guard and plate up the wrong way

Wonderful 

GLWS

sorry if this somehow triggered you, @gareth.
to be fair, I am not fully sure on pricing here in the UK.
what would you say is an appropriate price for this bass?
happy to adjust it to reality.

Edited by dballona
  • Like 1

Thanks @BreadBin, that's helpful. I based pricing off from Reverb – and I have a listing there which started at pretty high price, and wasn't super successful to be honest. from there, I thought £4,200 as a starting point was a good idea, but would love to get peer-reviewed, so feel free to keep me honest.

@hooky_lowdown nope, no proof he played on any recordings. I have pics of him with the bass, theoretically:

1711717280_Screenshot2020-03-11at22_40_44.thumb.png.aef67f3975b929853f966a5259c30e96.png1360155769_Screenshot2020-03-11at22_40_52.thumb.png.80d593581c6b9bbccd78697da02338f2.png

I am saying theoretically basically because it could be any "stripped P bass" as gareth mentioned... but I am sure it was bought on TM's estate sale and have email communications/proof to back it up.

Regarding provenance/memorabilia, I have a few things which came with the bass in Brazil... I should be able to figure out shipping.
I didn't bring it as initially I didn't intend to sell it. Here is a pic:

21743797_1521104144621291_8752796374021951002_o.jpg.6b92aca9f0ba76c629eaa3983477ea58.jpg

Please keep me honest with pricing and value of this bass. I can assure qualitative value, as it honestly is the best P I've ever had, but quantitatively is pretty hard to nail down as it seems to fluctuate in a broad range on Reverb/Ebay...

Edited by dballona
minor semantics/typo changes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

From what I can make out of the scratchplate markings it seems pretty similar. Look at the pale areas near the volume control.

Really good point, Neil. I haven't noticed that, and you're right, all the brighter areas between the volume control to pickup kind of matches, which is a good sign. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My name is Leon Charley,

I am the one who started TM playing the bass I took him to a music sore in the Bronx to buy this beauty. My questions is I have no knowledge of where or how 

is TM who I call Michael we are and were like brothers, can you help me find him.

17 minutes ago, davidleon said:

My name is Leon Charley,

I am the one who started TM playing the bass I took him to a music sore in the Bronx to buy this beauty. My questions is I have no knowledge of where or how 

is TM who I call Michael we are and were like brothers, can you help me find him.

I've sent an email with the link to this thread to a friend who knows Hans-Peter, the owner of Warwick, maybe he has some info... Long shot, but still, fingers crossed..

or just try contacting Hans-Peter through Warwick's contact list..

Edited by triplebass
a thought added

• 7 months later...
On 21/09/2020 at 19:56, davidleon said:

My name is Leon Charley,

i can help you Léon ! contact me by Facebook - my name is pierre buttion