Why become a member? ×

GAC 2020 - the 3 nine diet!

Al Krow

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

It’s @Dood fault for showing off his berg footswitch. 😂

It's not the first time you've bought an amp footswitch is it? In fact, you had a designer one made up for your Mesa. Definitely seems that you have more of an interest in these than is purely healthy 😂

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

It's not the first time you've bought an amp footswitch is it? In fact, you had a designer one made up for your Mesa. Definitely seems that you have more of an interest in these than is purely healthy 😂

Well I only have 2 amps and now both have a footswitch to change preset channels/mute etc. I think that’s reasonable.  

People in glass houses Mr Krow........ 😂

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - barely any foot-fetish switch things in the Krow household. Ok there may be the odd pedal lying around and three pedal boards but that's not a fetish. That's just normal 😂

Border line needing to seek professional help! 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Pickups ordered yesterday.

So far holding strong on the Sadowsky (and now Sire) GAS.  Not helped by @AndyTravis 's new purchase or @Al Krow tagging me into the Sire thread!!

Stay strong. We tempt each other merely to sort the chaff from the wheat!

What pups did you go for and which bass will you be replacing the existing pups on / what's on there currently?

PS A Sire is a poor man's audience-will-never-notice-anyway Sadowsky. They both look pretty bloody similar and both start with "S".

Edited by Al Krow

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Stay strong. We tempt each other merely to sort the chaff from the wheat!

What pups did you go for and which bass will you be replacing the existing pups on / what's on there currently?

PS A Sire is a poor man's audience-will-never-notice-anyway Sadowsky. They both look pretty bloody similar and both start with "S".

Nordstrand Dual Coils (parallel wound) for my Shuker custom.

Spec'd it originally with Jazz pickups and they sound great but I've kept my five string Jazz and let's be honest, it's not if I get some sort of Sadowsky it's a when, so keeping it as a pure J seems a bit pointless especially as Jon will do the routing work without charge.

I got to play a Sadowsky modern recently, loved the sound of it so I'm tweaking my Shuker to be a bit Sadowsky modernish.  I installed a Nordstrand pre, as Carey based the design off of Roger's famous pre and the Nordstrand DC's are similar to the Seymour Duncan soapbars Roger uses.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Haha Dave! You're definitely not going to last until Christmas are you? 😁

Equally to the point, how come you're bored of your nail parlour Bergs quite so quickly? It took me a whole 4 years to get bored of mine but you've got there in 2 and a bit months flat! They've clearly been usurped for gigs by your JC and it's red companion back up to be so I'm not going to take any of that "yeh, but I still love 'em, they still have a special place in my heart" nonsense. Fact check: they've been unceremoniously dumped for a younger model.

And just as equally to the point, I'm very jealous you still have gigs for the lady-in-red JC to be a back up to! 

I'm just looking on the bright side, Al! No gigs in the immediate future, so just playing at home 2-3 hours a day to keep my hand in. For that, the JCB is ideal, and I do fancy a back-up - I used to gig one and it was surprisingly versatile. 

The Sandberg (just the one!)  hasn't left its case since the February gig - not because I've fallen out with it, but because it is too lovely (and expensive!) to bash into things in my little practice room. The JCB's 2 per side headstock is a little shorter and less vulnerable than the Fender style on the Sandberg.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Good man - 2 to 3 hours a day!! Very impressed.

I'm kinda running out of excuses for doing merely half of that. Time to pull my finger out! 

I don't much else to do at the moment, and I do enjoy playing the stuff I play - it's certainly no hardship!

Just watched a black JCB finish on ebay for £354 including a gig bag, condition described as used, but only just. Apparently virtually unmarked. 

I was very tempted as I've always fancied one but I just don't need it so let it go. 

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

Just watched a black JCB finish on ebay for £354 including a gig bag, condition described as used, but only just. Apparently virtually unmarked. 

I was very tempted as I've always fancied one but I just don't need it so let it go. 

I think I saw that one as well, but I prefer something a bit brighter than black - one of the red ones would be great, otherwise another gold top. Black doesn't look too good against the tie dye!

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I think I saw that one as well, but I prefer something a bit brighter than black - one of the red ones would be great, otherwise another gold top. Black doesn't look too good against the tie dye!

I agree, black wouldn't be my first choice but it seemed a very good price, or is that all they make now? I'm sure they were nearer £500 s/h when I properly considered one. 

19 minutes ago, Maude said:

I agree, black wouldn't be my first choice but it seemed a very good price, or is that all they make now? I'm sure they were nearer £500 s/h when I properly considered one. 

I bought a brand new gold top for 499 just a few weeks ago. I've seen some daft prices on line, but that's still possible. If you can cope with the neck dive/forward dive that is inherent in the design, they are very good basses for the money. Very clean sound.

Haha, I think that's right but LAST NIGHT... 

It's been the 25th since 12.01 am this morning! 

I guess given the extreme economic disruption we could make an exception to allow for "genuine" confusion on this point...😄 

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha, I think that's right but LAST NIGHT... 

It's been the 25th since 12.01 am this morning! 

I guess given the extreme economic disruption we could make an exception to allow for "genuine" confusion on this point...😄 

I'm liking this concept as I'm no longer in my prime and have received many blows to the head from 25 years of rugby and 34 years of marriage.  Moot point as to which caused the most damage :D

Edited by ead
  • Haha 1

On 20/03/2020 at 15:28, ead said:

Snuck one more bass into stock before the deadline...

On 20/03/2020 at 15:42, ead said:

Currently somewhere on a wagon in central Europe, hopefully here next week when pics will be officially realeased.  But it's very lovely and I couldn't stop myself :(

Now made it across Europe and is somewhere in the West Midlands..

On 20/03/2020 at 15:58, Al Krow said:

What else have you said that about over the years then? 😁

Look forward to you revealing all (about the bass)!

Sneak preview

871862683_65RIJ07.thumb.jpg.34f743f4bbe55479507e8081b8aeed80.jpg