Why become a member? ×

Cabinet Advice Please?

merello

Peavey MiniMAX 500 w just purchased from a most excellent colleague on here. The manual says,

”The minimum load impedance on the amplifier is 4Ω, which means that either a single 4Ω cabinet, or two 8Ω cabinets may be used.”

In effect, can I buy and use...

- a single 4 ohm cab of any power rating? (Would it “blow” if it was less than 500w?)

- a single 8 ohm speaker or does it need to be two of them?

Excuse my ignorance! First time head and cab buyer!

The amplifier will deliver up to 500w into 4 ohms, so a 4 ohm cab should be rated for that, or used with care if not rated for full power. The amp will drive a single 8 ohm cab at about 250W, or drive two 8 ohm cabs at 500W. The output into a single 8 ohm cab will probably be slightly more than half power due to the power supply not having to work so hard.

David

• Thanks 1

Yep, I agree with David.  I'd already typed out a reply while he was typing his, so here it is:

The most simple and short answer is that you should use:

• one 4-ohm cabinet, rated at 500W or more; or
  • one or two 8-ohm cabinets, each rated at 300W or more.

However, it's not always as straightforward as that.  For example, if you were only ever going to use the amp with the master turned down very low, you'd be fine with a lower-rated cab.

Similarly, even if you used a single 4-ohm 500W cabinet (i.e. seemingly "perfectly matched" according to the numbers), there is still a chance you could damage a speaker; e.g. if you turned all volume and EQ dials up to maximum and really went for it like a maniac.

Some general advice which always holds: if anything sounds odd (unexpected distortion or speaker making farty noise) then turn it down.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest, why does it drive an 8 ohm at 250,  but 2 , 8 ohm cabs at 500 , is it as simple as 250 into each 

Yes, exactly that.

It's split equally because the two cabs have equal impedance. If they had different impedances, it would be split in the respective ratio.  E.g. if you had a 4-ohm cab and an 8-ohm cab, the 4-ohm cab would receive 2/3 of the power and the 8-ohm cab would receive 1/3.  (But don't combine one 4-ohm cab and one 8-ohm cab with the Peavey MiniMax - this is just an example for the numbers.)

• Thanks 2

Ohm’s Law!

Tbh....thank you all for the advice. So...don’t buy a 4ohm cab less than 500w. Good idea to buy a 8 ohm cab of 250-300w initially? Don’t think I need the full 500 w anyway.

Was thinking along the lines of...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Display-Ashdown-RM-115-EVO-II-Sea-Foam-Green-Super-Lightweight-Bass-Cabinet/293499284917?hash=item4455ebadb5:g:OCsAAOSwVqpeXlRA

Or...

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Peavey-Headliner-210-Cabinet/art-BAS0008475-000

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, merello said:

Good choice, thats a nice cab , I saw that myself and was tempted , but I’ve already got quite a few cabs, including an Ashdown 115 deep bass ,  their after sales service is very good too. 

• Thanks 1

Right troops! Managed to bag this beast on eBay:

s-l225.jpg

Peavey Headliner 115; 8 Ohms, 500 W,

Inputs: two 1/4 input jacks and one speaker twist NL4 four pin,

18mm MDF cabinet with bracing and steel corners, black carpet covering, dimensions: 27,25" x 27,75" x 23", Weight: 63 lb.

Bit hefty (had an eye on a 1x12 or 1x10 Eden) but I put in a stopped bid and nabbed it for £100 (+£15 p and p)

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by merello
Sp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2020 at 19:39, merello said:

Right troops! Managed to bag this beast on eBay:

s-l225.jpg

Peavey Headliner 115; 8 Ohms, 500 W,

Inputs: two 1/4 input jacks and one speaker twist NL4 four pin,

18mm MDF cabinet with bracing and steel corners, black carpet covering, dimensions: 27,25" x 27,75" x 23", Weight: 63 lb.

Bit hefty (had an eye on a 1x12 or 1x10 Eden) but I put in a stopped bid and nabbed it for £100 (+£15 p and p)

Thanks for all the help!

Castors or trolley....😎