Why become a member? ×

I was there when.......

Bilbo

Clannad played for us a couple of times at boarding school before they went electric.  It was between 1975 and 1977.

The bridge collapsed on Ciarán Brennan's double bass during the intro to their first number.  Some of the music students got up on stage to help and it was a great ice breaker.

Their early stuff may have been overshadowed by the success they had with the theme for television's Robin of Sherwood.  It's a lovely open sound they had though and it is well worth searching out early releases.

• Like 1

I saw Jimi Hendrix on a Tuesday night at a half full Hounslow Ricky Tick the week Hey Joe came out. Sadly, I don't remember much about the gig, but I must have liked them cos I bought the single.

I was at one of the Jeff Beck Group's first gigs at the Starlight Ballroom in Sudbury Town. I saw them a lot before they stopped playing the clubs.

I saw  the Yardbirds at the Crawdaddy in Richmond when both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were in the band. There was a Precision bass malfunction (no backup!) and I offered them the use of my bass for the gig. They didn't bat an eye lid (actually there might have been an anguished groan!) when I fished my Framus Star bass out of the car!! Chris Dreja was very gracious after the gig.

I was at the Marquee Club when Tony Williams Lifetime played. A stunning gig and one of the loudest. I was deaf for 2 days. In MM Chris Welch wrote that 90% of the thinking musicians in London would have died if they'd dropped a bomb on the gig that night. I like to think he was including me when he wrote that, but maybe not!

I was sitting on Peter Green's sofa when he told me I hadn't got the FM gig! Gotta think big! I was still at school and had answered an MM ad for a bass player required for Pro Chicago Blues Band. A very nice guy. Even said hello when I went to the gigs.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Incidentally, and seeing as this is a genuine "I Was There" thread, can I just point out that I am one of the very few people (relatively speaking) who actually SAW King Arthur On Ice at the Wembley Pool.

I saw the Barron Knights at Bertram Mills Circus, but I'm not telling anyone about that!

• Haha 1

I was at the Download Festival in 2004 when Lars was "taken ill"* and Metallica depped him with Dave Lombardo of Slayer, Joey Jordison of Slipknot and his drum tech.

The opener was Battery with Dave Lombardo on drums and it's the tightest I've ever heard them, Rob looked so happy to be playing with a drummer who isn't, well, Lars.

*definitely not on a coke bender

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Like @Bilbo I had the first Def Leppard single on Bludgeon Riffola, although I am sure it was 'Get your rocks off' with 'Riding into the Sun' as B side. I also saw Iron Maiden fronted by Paul DiAnno at the Marquee (supported by the awful Praying Mantis) and had a demo single of 'Prowler'. With my NWOBHM quality threshold on low, I also had Fist's 'Name Rank and Serial Number' single. Moving swiftly on ...

Other memorable moments: like @Frank Blank I saw SPK, although this time supporting Throbbing Gristle at Heaven in Charing Cross - at one point TG's video showed a scrotum (animal I recall, like a goat) being slit and a testicle dropping out. Nice; buying Noel Gallagher a pint at the bar at the Toxic Twin Towers gig c.20 years ago and failing to offer my bass services, despite the recent departure from Oasis of Guigsy; having a quick chat with Greg Lake after a charidee do c15 years ago where he played 'Lucky Man' and discovering that he didn't sound ANYTHING like a choirboy when speaking; standing behind Nick Cave in the queue at a parent teacher conference (our eldest sons each went to same school in London) and also failing to say anything at all

1976 went with a mate to Hammersmith odeon to see some band he got tickets for.

Kiss

1980? Went to the Greyhound Pub, Fulham palace road, as was our habit. On walked 3 blokes with massive quiffs, blew me away.

Stray Cats.

1980’s whenever me and mates had a few quid, we’d go to the Venue in Victoria, often saw QTips, who were a great band, with a certain Paul young on singing duties. 

Band who supported us a couple of times, had some sweaty called Alan McGee, he did alright. 

Edited by oldslapper

Well......

In 1975 I was playing on the island of Jersey with the remnants of a 60's pop band called Love Affair. (Remember them?)

We were doing some sort of cabaret show at a big hotel there.

We'd finished our set in the main ballroom, and then picked up word that Robert Plant and John Bonham were in the bar. Went and had a discreet look, and it certainly looked like them.  Plant was on crutches - I knew he'd had a car crash recently. Bonham looked completely out of it. They were surrounded by a posse of hangers on and music people by the looks of it.

Next thing we know, everyones cheering, and Plant and Bonham are heading towards the stage. Plant stops and talks to our drummer briefly, and then our drummer points to myself and the guitarist, and indicates we should go up on stage with Plant and Bonham.

The rest was a bit of a blur, quite honestly. Bonham was clearly more a bit worse for wear but started fiddling with the drum kit. Then someone fetched a stool for Plant to perch himself on, and Plant suggested over the mic that we played 'Red House' Sorted out the key, and we were off.

I was doing my best, but was only one step back from pissing myself with fear, god only knows what it sounded like. Luckily our guitarist was an excellent player and carried things along, as Bonham was hardly able to keep time, let alone play well.

We played two lengthy numbers, half drowned out by whooping and cheering from the crowd, possibly undeserved. I cannot remember for the life of me what the second number was.

Most unexpected thing that's ever happened to me at a gig!   :thank_you:

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

1980? Went to the Greyhound Pub, Fulham palace road, as was our habit. On walked 3 blokes with massive whiffs, blew me away......

Auto correct strikes again?

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 3

I was there (in a support band)  when Genesis played Graves End civic centre to promote their single I know what I like. Phil Collins bought me a lager and lime.

I was there for the first ever gig by Peace. The band that Paul Rogers formed after Free, and before Bad Company. They lasted about 2 weeks.

I was there when Iron Maiden played the Plough and Harrow in Leytonstone for £35

I was there when Mark Bolan said "erm, no, not him" after playing my second number at my audition as drummer for T. Rex. Lucky now I look back, he might have offered me a lift home.

I was there at Hollywood studios in East London when we  heard a band rehearsing in the next room and peeked under the window privacy blind dividing the two rooms only to see, Paul Young dancing around with his todger out. I have to say, he certainly had nothing to be ashamed of😳

Hollywood studios was owned by the guy who owned Metal Mickey. I was also there when our drummer peed up the robot. Boogie boogie😅

3 hours ago, Clarky said:

Other memorable moments: like @Frank Blank I saw SPK, although this time supporting Throbbing Gristle at Heaven in Charing Cross - at one point TG's video showed a scrotum (animal I recall, like a goat) being slit and a testicle dropping out. Nice ...

Yes, autopsy videos were a big part of SPKs thing too, yeech.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I saw Radiohead (not called that back then) a few times when they first started playing pub gigs in Oxford in the mid 80s.

On A Friday. I saw them a couple of times at the Jericho, probably around 1990-91. 

• Like 1

In 1976, for 2 days in a row, my brother blagged us into Earl's Court as part of the security company. Our job was checking tickets and showing fans to their seats. The gig was The Meters supporting the Rolling Stones. On the first gig we managed to keep the fans in their seats for the first number but after that everyone rushed  the stage. I went with the flow and ended up about 5 rows from the front. I wasn't so lucky on the second night. I ended up about 10 rows from the stage. 'Twas a great couple of nights.

My mate told me that I would like this new band 'Marillion' back in 82. It was before they even had a record deal. I rang the record shop in Aylesbury as I heard that they had some of their cheap demo tapes on the counter. The shop owner said, "they've all gone, but you could try the singer Fish, here's his phone number" (!) so yeah, I rang Fish and chatted for 25 minutes about prog. He was out of cassettes though!

Then a month or two later they came to the student union bar at my home town (Luton). Still pre-record deal. The ticket was £1.50. Fish was selling tickets at the door. I asked if he'd sign one of the small gig posters and he said 'Sure, come with me , I'll get all the band to sign it" So we did! I was a MASSIVE Marillion fan whilst Fish was in the band, the musical love affair of my life.

And here's the poster: 

IzlXwWr.jpg

And ticket:

QusYuHg.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I saw Korn as a support band in the mid 90s and remember being very impressed with them. They were opening for Primus.

I saw Primus as the support band for Jane's Addiction back in the 90's.  they had just released Frizzle Fry - still have their T-shirt somewhere.  I remember thinking that they were very impressive, but a little difficult

Also saw Bon Jovi touring their first album as support to Kiss in 1984.  They were very good

Muse supporting Skunk Anansie at Brixton - I don't think their first album was out then, just a couple of singles (but I may be wrong on the exact timing)

Saw Cliff Burton twice, the last time at Hammersmith Odeon the week before he died

Faith No More at the Marquee in Wardour Street

Moby as the support act for a couple of bands - I thought the Rollins Band were one, but Wikipedia tells me that the Chilli Peppers and Soundgarden are more likely candidates

Talking of whom, the Chili Peppers with John Frusciente the first time he was in the band (a few times actually)

Megadeth with their original line up

Status Quo's first farewell tour in 1984

Black Sabbath's first farewell concert at the NEC in 1999

Motorhead's 10th Anniversary concerts (still sad I didn't get to see them on their 40th)

I'll stop now...feeling very, very old

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Supporting them was a then unknown Feeder, who absolutely blew them away. Midweek gig, no more than 50 people in I’d say.

I played in a band with Grant Nicholas for Feeder when he was 18. 50 people would have been a real result. :)

I was at the church hall in 1968 when Downtown Faction played a Blues gig. Not long after they met up with Alan Hull and the rest is history.

I was at the Mayfair when The Police gigged their first album to a fairly small crowd. They were late coming on cos they had been watching Dire Straights at the city Hall.

Not on the scale of some of the fantastic ones on here, but in the early 80s we used to rehearse at the Boardwalk, and some evenings we'd go to the Hacienda afterwards if there was a potentially interesting gig on, in the days before the DJs took over, and it was more often than not half-empty. One evening we were in the City Road pub opposite wondering whether to go, and my pal said "I heard it's some American bird shooting a dance video, she'll be miming..." so we all went 'Pffft' and didn't bother. Madonna.

• Like 1

28th May 1978 - Ipswich Gaumont (as it was then!)

We were in town on the Saturday afternoon - 27th - and did our usual stroll up to the Gaumont to see what was on and upcoming - these were the days before the internet, get tickets on the door the same day or day before for about a fiver...!...so who was playing....the next night it was Black Sabbath ! - Hmmm, worth a visit BUT it was a school night!, a few of us were skint etc....after much debate and promises of loans, it was still dodgy...."Tell you what", Keith says, "shall we decide when we find out who's supporting...?"..."Yeah O.K." came the call....

After a bit of scratching about we found out it was a band called...Van Halen

"Never heard of them....let's not bother then...!" 

We walked away, the rest is history...!