Why become a member? ×

Peavey 5-way MIDI Footswitch - re program??

Andy Damerum

I have inherited a Peavey 5-way MIDI footswitch with a MiniMEGA amp purchase but I want to change the functions of the switches.

Is anyone aware if this is possible?

I don't need the FX Loop or Crunch functions but would like to be a able to switch Punch and Bright functions. 

I think the Peavey footswitch is hard coded. Wouldn't be too hard to switch the guts out with something like an arduino. Probably want to look into the power requirements first though - I'm guessing it's going to be the standard 5v, which is pretty useful as a lot of self programmable microprocessors will run at 3.5/5v, So yeah, pretty straightforward to mod that into something with some different hard coded values.

Check out @stoo's thread for inspiration...

I've just had a look at the products in question on the Peavey web site and now I'm a bit confused.

Looking at the photos the amp and footswitch appear to connect using Peavey's propriety 8-pin DIN system, however the drawing of the back panel in the manual shows a standard 5-pin MIDI socket and is labelled as such in the explanation.

What sockets do your amp and footswitch have and what cable are you using to connect them?

Well spotted.

I suspect it's a 5 pin implementation fronted with an 8 pin connector to make you buy the official accessory.  I've looked on some reviews on Youtube - looks to be 8 pin DIN.

Or maybe they binned the MIDI in the end. Just going to do some research on that particular pedal...

Edited by EBS_freak

I used to have a Peavey Bassfex and the associated footswitch. IIRC when used with the Peavey 8-pin cable the footswitch would draw power from the Bassfex which made the display work and you got 2-way communication between the two so that any changes made on the Bassfex itself would be displayed on the footswitch if applicable (turning effects modules off and on etc.). With a normal MIDI cable the footswitch needed a separate PSU and communication was only one way.

Just looking at the Butcher manual (uses the same pedal) -

Found this in the manual - REMOTE SWITCH This eight-pin DIN connector is provided for the connection of the remote footswitch. You must use the included eight-pin cable, as it supplies power to the footswitch. The Butcher can also be controlled remotely via MIDI using a standard five-pin MIDI cable. For a complete description of the MIDI commands, please refer to page 12 of this owner's manual.

Page 12 - heres the buttons 

CHANNEL SWITCH Toggles between the Clean channel and the Crunch channel.

EFFECTS LOOP ON/OFF SWITCH Toggles the Effects Loop on or off. When the indicator light is lit, the Effects Loop is active.

CLEAN CHANNEL BOOST Switches on the preamp boost on the Clean channel.

CRUNCH CHANNEL BOOST Switches on the preamp boost on the Crunch channel.

MASTER VOLUME SELECT SWITCH Toggles between the Two Master Volume controls

REMOTE CABLE JACK Connect the included eight-pin cable to the amp's footswitch/MIDI input jack. Note: You must use the included eight-pin cable, as it supplies the footswitchwith power. When using an external MIDI source to control the amplifier, a five-pin MIDI cable can be used. Since the Butcher uses MIDI control, changes made to switches on the amplifier will be reflected by the LED's on the footswitch, and vice versa.

Interestingly enough, it looks like you can change midi channel - Hold the last footswitch (Master) for 2 seconds to enter MIDI channel select mode. The LEDs on the first four footswitches will blink. You can then choose MIDI channel 1, 2, 3 or 4 by pressing one of those. You can also press Master again to cancel the operation.

But that won't allow you to actually do much with CC with the looks of things.

Anyway, you may find this handy.

http://zorkmids.com/?p=1425