Why become a member? ×

Whining

stewblack

I have an interesting problem. We're all familiar with the high mosquito whine digital pedals can produce when sharing a daisy chained power supply. 

Usually a simple fix - give it its own psu. I set up a small board to separate my 'always on' from the main board. 

Line 6 G75, MS-60B, Sweet Baby, Digitech Ricochet (not actually always on, just used as  a pitch shift on one tune). I got the noise which I traced to the MS-60B. 

Here's the thing. Nothing fixed it. Power Bank USB, USB 3 pin plug, USB socket in the 4 gang, 9V PSU - still the noise. In the end I resorted to batteries and it works. 

So I have a solution but don't understand why none of the other less faffy things didn't work. Any ideas? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have an interesting problem. We're all familiar with the high mosquito whine digital pedals can produce when sharing a daisy chained power supply. 

Usually a simple fix - give it its own psu. I set up a small board to separate my 'always on' from the main board. 

Line 6 G75, MS-60B, Sweet Baby, Digitech Ricochet (not actually always on, just used as  a pitch shift on one tune). I got the noise which I traced to the MS-60B. 

Here's the thing. Nothing fixed it. Power Bank USB, USB 3 pin plug, USB socket in the 4 gang, 9V PSU - still the noise. In the end I resorted to batteries and it works. 

So I have a solution but don't understand why none of the other less faffy things didn't work. Any ideas? 

Sorry Stew, I thought that this was a thread about @Skinnyman!

smiley

Maybe this article might help work out your problem:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Pedal_Troubleshooting_and_Maintenance_101_Part_3

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

Could it be due to the amount of mA the Zoom needs? Typically, they need 500mA which is more than most pedals (I think...) Have you tried it with a dedicated Zoom PSU?

I don't have a zoom psu. I have tried it with several different types. Some  quality brands others no name. All produce the noise. Its weird. Doesn't create a problem on my main board

If you're using a power brick, it might be worth getting one of those clever connecting strands which combines two outputs into one, doubling the amount of mA the pedal gets. Songofthewind is right - Zoom pedals tend to prefer their own PSUs to anything else as both he and I have found to our cost!

Then again, it might be something else entirely...

My guess is that the problem isnt actually the zoom.

Tracing noise issues like this to one particular pedal can be very misleading. It may look like the zoom is the cause, but it's actually (e.g.) the digitech introducing the whine but only under certain random conditions, like when the zoom plus another pedal is engaged (I'm making it up but you get the point).

So a head scratcher like this is probably not any one pedal, but a combination.

Had my fingers burned on this more than once! 

One sure fire way to solve it is to isolate each and every pedal...!

9 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

My guess is that the problem isnt actually the zoom.

Tracing noise issues like this to one particular pedal can be very misleading. It may look like the zoom is the cause, but it's actually (e.g.) the digitech introducing the whine but only under certain random conditions, like when the zoom plus another pedal is engaged (I'm making it up but you get the point).

So a head scratcher like this is probably not any one pedal, but a combination.

Had my fingers burned on this more than once! 

One sure fire way to solve it is to isolate each and every pedal...!

I hear you. Though I tried multiple combinations I suspect you are 100% on the money. Thinking just how many possible configurations there are I probably only scratched the surface!

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1