Why become a member? ×

EBay, how I hate EBay

I'm sick of this kind of thing too, sadly when you're selling something niche like a left handed bass it's often the best market place for reaching buyers. I think if people haven't met you in person or you don't know where they live they expect they can get away with any kind of unreasonable behaviours. I had a guy claim he'd taken a bass to a shop and they said it needed a load of work doing (the bass wasn't perfect and the description and photos were clear on that). I replied "great I used to live down the road from that shop and know all the guys in there, I'll give them a call and if we all agree what's wrong I'll see about settling reasonable costs!". Well I did live near that shop but I never bothered making that phone call because I knew the guy was trying to play a game. Same bass appeared on ebay months later with the frets badly removed and the description" this has been my main gigging bass for years... "

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Fleabay doesn't work like that. I've read many stories of people collecting stuff, then saying through fleabay they've not received the item. Sadly there's dodgy buyers as well as sellers out there. 🙈

Are you sure you understood what I wrote in this particular context...

45 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Are you sure you understood what I wrote in this particular context...

If the buyer went through fleabay for the refund, then fleabay will issue the refund, PayPal will be the third party and have no influence whether the buyer gets their refund. So yes, I understand the context.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If the buyer went through fleabay for the refund, then fleabay will issue the refund, PayPal will be the third party and have no influence whether the buyer gets their refund. So yes, I understand the context.

eBay will refund after the item has been returned, in this case if he collects it then it would be up to the OP whether he wanted to confirm it or not as there is no proof of delivery. It would be the collection item not received scam in reverse.

Not that I'm saying he should do that mind, not even with this absolute berk.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't trust this bottom feeder to post it back.  By Ebays own rules, it must be returned by a trackable method, but who knows if he'll use decent packaging. PP will refund  him after you sign for it.  They wont give a hoot if it comes back dented , covered in cow dung,  or missing and a telephone directory in its place.

Mind you, he'd be a brave bloke to do anything daft like that. You know exactly how to find him

I would collect in person, as he's proved what he's  like, and then give him a taste of his own medicine.  Buyers think they can feck sellers around on a whim on Ebay. 

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 5

This ^^^^

4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Unfortunately he paid by PayPal, so the odds are even more in his favour

And just to confirm my suspicions, he's just messaged asking me how much I'd sell one of my other saxes for.....I'm lost for words

Even to the point of appearing to play along, to get your sax back before he gets his payment reversed.

Hopefully he's just a nutter rather than a scammer.

I was naive once and got scammed by a 'buyer'. Nett loss of £200... every day's a school day... 😬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My sister in law once lost out to a dodgy buyer. She sold a brand new unwanted present, the guy complained that it was old and worn, then sent back an empty box.

I have heard about people switching items, there’s has broken or stopped working, so they buy a replacement from eBay, then complain that what they’ve bought was faulty. They then return their old unit and get their money returned through eBay, so they get a free replacement.

17 hours ago, ambient said:

My sister in law once lost out to a dodgy buyer. She sold a brand new unwanted present, the guy complained that it was old and worn, then sent back an empty box.

I have heard about people switching items, there’s has broken or stopped working, so they buy a replacement from eBay, then complain that what they’ve bought was faulty. They then return their old unit and get their money returned through eBay, so they get a free replacement.

Wow.........Some folks are really low! That's a real eye-opener if you are basically trusting or don't have much experience of the dodges and scams some people get up to.

18 hours ago, ambient said:

Yup, or if they're slightly more sophisticated they can switch their faulty internal parts with the good parts from the item they've bought. Therefore what they return looks correct from the outside, and if applicable, also has the correct serial number.

It's a scam that was going on long before eBay. i.e. dishonest mechanics returning faulty parts to motor factors.

Beware of any garage workshop with a gleaming parts washer!

😬

To be fair to eBay, It's eBayers - some, at any rate - one should hate, not eBay itself. I've bought and sold plenty of stuff on there without much problem. Having, said that, I'm extremely careful - insist on cash for face to face dealings, always use recorded delivery, never agree to deal outside eBay and so on.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Yup, or if they're slightly more sophisticated they can switch their faulty internal parts with the good parts from the item they've bought. Therefore what they return looks correct from the outside, and if applicable, also has the correct serial number.

It's a scam that was going on long before eBay. i.e. dishonest mechanics returning faulty parts to motor factors.

Beware of any garage workshop with a gleaming parts washer!

😬

yes, this long pre-dates eBay - 35 years ago I loaned a mate a new record and he scratched it.  So off he went to Our Price to buy himself a copy...then took back my scratched disc to be replaced

• Like 1

Don't like eBay, they banned from selling because my ex had a dispute and previously I had an item delivered to her address so they linked me. The dispute she had was months after we've split up. As for the OP , have you tried selling bin Schpock?

12 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

To be fair to eBay, It's eBayers - some, at any rate - one should hate, not eBay itself. I've bought and sold plenty of stuff on there without much problem. Having, said that, I'm extremely careful - insist on cash for face to face dealings, always use recorded delivery, never agree to deal outside eBay and so on.

This has been my experience, never had an issue that wasn't resolved amicably and I've sold some high value stuff on eBay. Like Dan Dare tho, I treat with caution.

14 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

This has been my experience, never had an issue that wasn't resolved amicably and I've sold some high value stuff on eBay. Like Dan Dare tho, I treat with caution.

Yep I had  100% feedback accumulated through years. My ex pink torpedos up when no longer together and e bay gives no stinky poo.

Edited by SH73

I think it comes back to eBay and PayPal's bias towards the buyer

As I understand it, there's no right to return items for private sales on eBay.  However, the Ts & Cs require the seller to accept returns if the item is different to how it was described.  So if you change your mind and you want your money back you claim that it's not what you paid for and eBay and PayPal are on your side

It's not my argument but if I was the OP I think I'd be putting up a fight here and refusing to accept it back...but I do accept that it may not be a fair fight

Edited by Monkey Steve

So it arrived back, surprisingly well packaged and unmolested. As per my suspicions, after a quick blow it plays superbly right the way across the range with no issues. 

Feedback I want to leave would be something along the lines of "time wasting   pink torpedo".

Never mind. Onwards 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

So it arrived back, surprisingly well packaged and unmolested. As per my suspicions, after a quick blow it plays superbly right the way across the range with no issues. 
Feedback I want to leave would be something along the lines of "time wasting   pink torpedo".

So how is the sale of another sax to him going? :D

On 12/03/2020 at 16:21, Monkey Steve said:

yes, this long pre-dates eBay - 35 years ago I loaned a mate a new record and he scratched it.  So off he went to Our Price to buy himself a copy...then took back my scratched disc to be replaced

Remember days of yore when people would order K Tel records off the telly on 7 day approval, rape them, then send them straight back for a refund?

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Never mind. Onwards 

I would never do this of obviously....but add this person to your blocked buyers list, then find something relatively cheap that he is selling, buy it and find a reason to leave negative feedback for that transaction. Gotta be worth a couple of quid 😂

• Haha 1