Why become a member? ×

EBay, how I hate EBay

Just sold a Sax to a chap in Redditch and hand delivered it for which he was delighted. 

A few hours later, I get a notification from EBay saying he wants to return it as it's faulty. It isn't but given EBay's general stance towards supporting buyers, I don't  think it's worth the breath in challenging it.

To add insult to injury, he has suggested that it's a cheap knockoff (after admitting prior he's never tried this particular brand before but stated "it's not what you'd expect from xxx". How would you know if you'd never tried one?) It's not. It was bought from a reputable music shop who are a main dealer for this particular brand. 

My thoughts are he tried it, didn't like it and wants to return it. To say I'm angry and frustrated doesn't quite do it justice. 

I'm done with EBay. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Sorry to read this mate.

I haven't sold anything on eBay for many years now and when I buy, they're very low cost items from people with a huge amount of positive feedback only.

I think if I did sell, it'd be "Buy it now/offers" only and I'd include a sentence saying something like "Only buy if you have x amount and x% of positive feedback."

Edited by thebassist

Sounds like buyer's remorse - which is probably okay, means you got a good price for it.

If you're a private seller and you hand delivered it 1) you don't have to accept the return 2) you got cash (ie it can't be reversed unlike CC chargeback or Paypal). Just take the -1 feedback, you'll have a chance to put an explanation by it (I think)?

• Like 2

E Bay is fine, it's the idiots and time wasters that are the problem, I've lost count of the emails I've answered from people who are just not going to buy at any price. I've got stuff on there atm which is going to get pulled and sold on a commission basis - I don't think I'll bother trying to sell good kit to these idiots ever again !

😎

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic. I bought ten rolls of Fujicolor film from a guy in China for the bargain price of £9.65 including postage. So 96p a roll instead of the usual £6 or so. eBay then removed the listing, no reason given to me. He sent me a tracking number which I’ve been using, this shows my package is currently in Kent awaiting collection, I’m in Birmingham. The seller hasn’t replied to any of my messages, it looks like I’m not going to get my film though.

If it's cash then screw him, if Paypal then you'll need to accept the return I would think, give them a ring (especially if you have receipts for it to prove it's not fake etc) and see what they say. Did you offer returns in the listing?

Btw never accept Paypal for collection/delivery items, you're setting yourself up to get screwed either way as they can just file an "item not received" claim and you have no proof of postage/delivery. However if you wanted you could be incredibly dishonest and collect the item from him then tell Paypal he hasn't sent it as you would have to refund that way after receiving the sax back. Obviously that would be an immoral and heinous thing to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's not just eBay.  I have had worse selling a bass on this site, with a return based on damage that wasn't there when it left me.  I'm not going into detail because I can't prove anything, but...  So , just saying it's folk, not specific sites.  

3 hours ago, thebassist said:

I think if I did sell, it'd be "Buy it now/offers" only and I'd include a sentence saying something like "Only buy if you have x amount and x% of positive feedback."

You can write what you want on an eBay listing - doesn't make it the rules though, so if you refused to sell to someone who paid you are still a non shipping seller and take the hit from it.

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Unfortunately he paid by PayPal, so the odds are even more in his favour

In which case, count yourself lucky he didn't just claim he never got it and claimed the money back, it is quite easy to do. Never take paypal for something that you are not shipping by a tracked service. You have no proof he got it apart from his word. And you already know what that is worth

And just to confirm my suspicions, he's just messaged asking me how much I'd sell one of my other saxes for.....I'm lost for words

hahahah!

• Like 1

Unfortunately he paid by PayPal, so the odds are even more in his favour

As above, really (I don't want to be too harsh on you!) I'd cross your fingers that a 2nd visit (you're probably going to have to collect it.....) means you get the sax back, refund the money but if he wants another of yours (how many do you have.....are you a small time trader?) you might want to seriously consider cash-only on collection(/delivery) or chossing not to sell another one to him.

Just now, Hellzero said:

And refund him through PayPal when you have your sax in hands and are sure it's really yours...

Fleabay doesn't work like that. I've read many stories of people collecting stuff, then saying through fleabay they've not received the item. Sadly there's dodgy buyers as well as sellers out there. 🙈

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

You can write what you want on an eBay listing - doesn't make it the rules though, so if you refused to sell to someone who paid you are still a non shipping seller and take the hit from it.

I think in a situation like this, could you not cancel the listing and write that the item is damaged/no longer available or something so that the entire transaction is wiped out meaning no feedback can be left?

Regardless, I won't be selling anything on eBay so it is irrelevant for me.