Why become a member? ×

Help needed. Which P bass?

mattbass6

I recently bought a beat-up Fender Precision MIM and it is a decent bass.

cnevLEa.jpg

I've also got one I made from parts, including a MIM neck, Badass bridge, a drop-D tuner and Fender USA pickups - it is really good.

hIjp7xO.jpg

And then there's my Frankenstein P.

Yy2nmbU.jpg

I've no hankering for any more Precisions, because I'm happy with those (and I never intended to get any to start with!), but if I were I'd be looking at either:

• Sandberg; I had a go on a couple of theirs at the Brum show and they were rather good.
  • The Geezer Butler pickups - he endorses Lakland (though I'm not struck on the look of their rounded bridges).
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2020 at 07:41, gjones said:

I bought an elite Precision about a year ago. It's got a great sound and is made very well but I'm not too keen on the neck.

The Mexican version (the deluxe) has a jazz type neck, as do most other P/J type Fender basses. 

The Elite and the Ultra have chunkier necks. My other P basses have the 57 type necks, which are wide but shallow.

I recommend that you have a play of the Ultra before you buy it.

Ultra has Modern 'D' NECK it is shallow in sense your thumb is closer to fretboard and allows you to stretch fingers easier on fretboard; it is far from chunky and yes should give it a play. I find it extremely comfortable, fast and easy to play; also neck width is only 1.625 so good for even small hands.

I thought 1.5/38mm necks were for Guitar Players who were sentenced to playing bass by bandmates😀

quote from review

'With Fender’s new “Modern D” neck shape, which is a slimmer neck with ultra rolled edges, a 10”-14” compound radius, and a tapered neck heel that allows easy access to the higher frets, the American Ultra Precision Bass is a hell of a lot easier to practice or gig with. It was comfortable to play for hours without getting tired because of the delicately contoured backside—it seemed to hug my body.'' 

Edited by Nebadon2000
more info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Ultra has Modern 'D' NECK it is shallow in sense your thumb is closer to fretboard and allows you to stretch fingers easier on fretboard; it is far from chunky and yes should give it a play. I find it extremely comfortable, fast and easy to play; also neck width is only 1.625 so good for even small hands.

I thought 1.5/38mm necks were for Guitar Players who were sentenced to playing bass by bandmates😀

Thank you so much. Very good to know. Appreciated 🙏🏻

Plenty of options here.  Aside from my '66 Precision, the P bass that I gig regularly is the Highway One iteration.  I've has a few different versions over the years (Squier Affinity, MIM, MIJ, Nate Mendel, American Special, American Standard) but this one seems to be sticking.

Hard to say why particularly but the neck is great, the weight is very comfortable and I must be one of the only people in the world who quite likes the Grease Bucket tone circuit.  Obligatory pic.:

735434152_HWOne03.thumb.jpeg.c5439706e993ca21571dab5553ba1b65.jpeg

Edited by ead
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ped said:

G&L SB1 is the best P bass imo. Lovely things. Not just because I have one for sale!

I really do love the look of the SB-2, Ped. Finding a new US is impossible over here. I  have decided that I definitely want a PJ configuration. That helps. I did look at your bass, and it’s amazing. Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ead said:

Plenty of options here.  Aside from my '66 Precision, the P bass that I gig regularly is the Highway One iteration.  I've has a few different versions over the years (Squier Affinity, MIM, MIJ, Nate Mendel, American Special, American Standard) but this one seems to be sticking.

Hard to say why particularly but the neck is great, the weight is very comfortable and I must be one of the only people in the world who quite likes the Grease Bucket tone circuit.  Obligatory pic.:

735434152_HWOne03.thumb.jpeg.c5439706e993ca21571dab5553ba1b65.jpeg

That looks so lovely. I had a ‘64 refin that I sold on. I have concluded that I definitely want a P/J config. I also want a modern take on the classic. Thanks so much for your help. 

1 minute ago, mattbass6 said:

I really do love the look of the SB-2, Ped. Finding a new US is impossible over here. I  have decided that I definitely want a PJ configuration. That helps. I did look at your bass, and it’s amazing. Thanks for your input. 

I don’t think they have a tone control for some reason so lots of people add them. Yes the SB body is lovely, like a slimmed down and more comfortable P. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ped said:

I don’t think they have a tone control for some reason so lots of people add them. Yes the SB body is lovely, like a slimmed down and more comfortable P. 

That’s right, they have 2 volume controls. I get the idea behind it, but seems a little strange. Agree though, lovely looking things. 

I’ve just pulled the trigger on the new Fender Ultra Precision in Artic Pearl. It should be here next week. I’m very excited, and I’ll let you know when it has arrived 😬

I really, really appreciate all of your help. It was extremely useful. Thank you. 🙏🏻

• Like 2