Why become a member? ×

Help needed. Which P bass?

mattbass6

Seeking the advice, knowledge and expertise from the BC community, please. It’s a significant birthday soon and therefore, I’m looking but something to mark it. I’m thinking of going back to 4 string bass, and if I do, I definitely want to go back to my first “love”,the Precision.

The new Fender Ultra looks amazing, and having done some research, the Maruszczyk basses have been getting some amazing feedback. I’ve configured the “M” to what I feel is my perfect spec, but I’ve never played one. I can go and try the Fenders, any time. I’m worried that if I buy the “M”, what happens if I don’t like it.

Has anyone done an A/B test between these 2 basses? If so, what are your thoughts. The basses I have dejected are exactly the same price. Too close to call. Any help, insights etc would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance ☺️

5E842BED-50C9-4E0A-83B1-E1307487E4EE.jpeg

03DEA8DC-09AA-44C6-BA9A-17C73D9E8D9B.jpeg

Edited by mattbass6

11 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I’ve configured the “M” to what I feel is my perfect spec, but I’ve never played one. I can go and try the Fenders, any time. I’m worried that if I buy the “M”, what happens if I don’t like it.

Can you get over to Bass Direct in Warwick, where they have some in stock?

• Like 2

FWIW I owned a Fender Precision (not an Ultra) and a Maruszczyk Jake at the same time; decided there was too much overlap and I should sell one, couldn't decide which, eventually put the Maruszczyk up for sale, regretted that and took the advert down, and eventually sold the Fender.  Then shortly after, I wondered if I'd made the wrong decision after all.  And then I did go on to sell the Maruszczyk in the end.  Reason for ultimately selling both was because I was switching to five string, rather than any inherent dissatisfaction.  That was a couple of years ago... if I wonder right now which one I miss the most... hmmm, close one, I'd say the Maruszczyk.

• Like 1

The attention to detail on the M bass has it over the F any day for me!  I know you have to take into account the numbers of each produced (almost impossible to compare) but I've seen too many shonky F basses to play that lottery (assuming you can't try before buy).

Rolled fingerboards, angled back headstocks, quality hardwear/pups... Oh and has anyone mentioned WEIGHT?

• Like 2

Thank you. I will get to try a Fender later this week, not like the one in the pic, but still an Ultra. That should help things a little. I will also try and get to BD, and try the “M” bass. It is very close to call. All input is appreciated

All basses are different, you can't really A/B two different manufacturers. The best thing is to try as many basses as you can, you'll know the right one which feels and sounds best to you. 

Don't rely on spec etc, go try them out! 😀

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 2

I can attest to the Fender Ultra Precision; Solid build, quality Preamp, Vintage Passive tone and the playability/feel is fantastic. Mine weighted in at 8.5lbs with redesigned body contours very comfortable to wear.

Edited by Nebadon2000
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

I can attest to the Fender Ultra Precision; Solid build, quality Preamp, Vintage Passive tone and the playability/feel is fantastic. Mine weighted in at 8.5lbs with redesigned body contours very comfortable to wear.

Thank you. Which one did you buy? How is the neck? 

Edited by mattbass6

1 hour ago, mattbass6 said:

A lovely bass, and thanks but I’m a maple board, and solid colour type of guy. GLWTS

Oh it’s not mine, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better Precision than a Moollon at that price 🙂

Si

Of all the p basses ive tried - fender (modern and vintage), sandberg, squire, limelight etc the best bang for buck are the late 70's/early 80's Tokai Hardpunchers, absolute gems that just sound like that 70's p bass sound on so many of my fave records

• Like 3

I bought an elite Precision about a year ago. It's got a great sound and is made very well but I'm not too keen on the neck.

The Mexican version (the deluxe) has a jazz type neck, as do most other P/J type Fender basses. 

The Elite and the Ultra have chunkier necks. My other P basses have the 57 type necks, which are wide but shallow.

I recommend that you have a play of the Ultra before you buy it.

• Like 1

I have had a USA Fender precision, couple of MIJ Fender precisions, currently own a JV Squier Precision and also a Maruszczyk Jake 5 and I would say go for a Maruszczyk.  You can specify pretty much exactly what you want.  Build quality on mine is remarkable, especially when I think it cost me under £1500 including an SKB hard case and delivery (and a free strap!).

• Like 1

I recently got an Elite P in a trade and couldn't be happier. The nut on this one is 42mm and I love the neck shaping - C shaped with a 9" radius at the top through to D shaped and a 14" radius at the bottom. I'm favouring flatter radius boards nowadays so this one suits me perfectly. It plays great, has endless tone options and unlike the Ultra has the MM style truss rod wheel for easy adjustment.

• Like 1

I did notice that the compound radius, and the truss rod adjustment had changed on the Ultra’s. Also, I believe, on the Ultra, the nut is 1mm smaller than the Elite. I have a friend with an Elite, so shall approach him to see if he wouldn’t mind me having a play. Thanks for you input, much appreciated 🙏🏻

• Like 1