Why become a member? ×

Hard foam bass case, anyone use one ?

Les

I get enough protection from my Ritter gig bags but they're nearing the end of their useful life so looking at the rectangular rigid foamy kinda things,

I do carry quite a bt in the case ie, wireless system, leads, strings etc as I want to just pick the bass up in its bag/case and walk out the door.

Looking at these if anyone has used either of them

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_foam_case_bass.htm

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Rectangular-Foam-Bass-Guitar-Case-by-Gear4music/2E5N?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=111659d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=85003491199&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeLS0coFMagZJmC_zUJvgf7Hr0JN--oi2fQla0ZzdTHH0wMmHQV_hZUaAi4gEALw_wcB

Wondering if the accessory bits inside either side of the neck are ok or does stuff move about cos' the lid isn't solid ?

Ta

Les

No problems with cases of the sort, for basses, guitars, and even my precious drums. Not suitable, maybe, for world tours with huge backlines, but well up to professional or domestic use. If you're worried about stuff moving around, pop a towel or equivalent in there. I have a couple of real flight cases (for my cymbals, for instance...), but they're more of a pain, really. Thumbs up for these foam cases from me. R91KekF.gif

I use the shaped foam Gear4Music case, currently £39.99. Had it for a long time, superb way of protecting your bass whilst being light and portable. Mine has an inside hinged compartment, not very big, and a large (A4 sized) zipped external pocket which is good for music, strap etc. Best thing I’ve bought for years, and still looks like new after doing hundreds of gigs.

Once you get past the cost threshold for something sturdy and functional, which appears to be around the £40-£50 mark, the only thing you get by paying more is nicer appearance and maybe a few extra pockets, better shoulder straps, etc. I have a Fusion, which was not cheap, but I'm a gear tart. I wouldn't claim it does any better a job than a good basic case like the G4M one. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Keep looking at these, but kind of "stuck" in the "hard case, more protection" frame of mind. 

Quite tempted by this though: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_safecase_80_e_bass_bag.htm

Looks pretty good.

I use the next protection level up by Thomann/Music Area, would highly reccomend that range. Though, it no longer seems to be listed on their site. I'd been put off by Thomann 'own brand', it seemed expensive for that. But, mine is like a better Protec Contego, really solid case. 

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have one tucked away somewhere which I haven't used for a while...never had any issues with it.

Would have no hesitation in recommending them.

I, too, have loads of gear I never use and it has all lasted ages!

😉

I had a G4M one and the stitching went around the zip after only a couple of years - does seem to buck the trned, though.