Why become a member? ×

Advice Required on a 62 Jazz

Ronald Bigsworth

Hi, my Dad left me his prized Jazz when he died over 10 years ago. Apparently it’s a 62 year but is not in its original state. 

Its been resprayed & doesn’t have the original finger plates. I’ve also been told it needs a refret but I’m hesitant in case it devalues it or screws it up.

Is there anyone in the UK who restores them or can offer any advice ? 

Many thanks in advance. 

71FF6AA5-8EDC-4CA0-891C-5BB27D591064.jpeg

3ADCB766-4C32-47DA-B9D3-49B4A2D303DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome Ron.

I agree with Reggaebass.  What you have is a certain amount of mojo.  While a refret is okay to keep it playable, it might be wisest to leave as is if you want to preserve its value.

You've come to the right place for pointers.  I am no expert but there are a good few here in the know, as it were.

• Like 1

It's very nice and for me the family connection would make up for it being refinished as it's part of your story.

That serial number suggest 1963 (which is close enough).

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-fender_eng.php

An original scratchplate would have a lot more screws, you could ask someone to add these.

If the neck is original and has the correct marks on it (when removed)  it would be OK to get them to put on the Fender decals that were probably removed during the refin.

It's rare for a bass to really need a full refret, a good luthier can probably sort it with a fret dress.

• Like 2

I have 3 original old jazzes from that era .You do not say if you are going to play it or if it’s a keepsake.If it’s a keepsake do nothing, if you are going to play it ,get the best vintage luthier the guys on the site here recommend to do as little as possible to bring it up to a playable condition for you to enjoy and don’t try to get it done on the cheap ..just my thoughts

15 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

"I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that"

>cough<

On 13/03/2020 at 11:40, Stub Mandrel said:

If the neck is original and has the correct marks on it (when removed)  it would be OK to get them to put on the Fender decals that were probably removed during the refin.

• Confused 1

Hi @Ronald Bigsworth
First of all - welcome to the forum :)

Secondly, what a lovely thing to have - a bass that your Dad owned and played. It's a treasured thing indeed.
If a few components aren't original, but look OK - I'd be tempted to leave them as they are... After all, they're part of your Dad's modifications and general "mojo" of the bass
i.e. they're part of the basses history.

As for the frets, they're another matter - depending on whether they make the bass playable or not, and whether you want the bass to be playable or not.
To my thinking, I would want the bass to be playable. If I leave a treasured bass to my son (I've already given him two! lol) I'd like to think he would play it, rather than hang it on a wall...
So I would get a luthier to look closely at it, and decide whether or not it needs re-fretting. As has been said - a good luthier can often crown & polish frets and make them playable
If only a re-fret would do this though.... then I'd personally be tempted to get it re-fretted

Another factor you mention is "value" - I'd say the biggest perceived value is the bond the bass creates, because it was your Dad's
You aren't going to sell it - so financial "value" for me, would be less of a consideration than sentimental value...

Best of luck whatever you decide, and let us know how you get on
Cheers mate - enjoy such a lovely, treasured possession :) 

EDIT: One thing I would definitely restore though - get a Fender logo on the headstock
... and yes, replace the missing screws

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1