Why become a member? ×

Bull & bollox. Lies you have been told...

MacDaddy

"I'm not working at the moment because I've a shipment of Russian diamonds coming in; I brokered the deal because my blonde Russian girlfriend (and her twin sister...I've had them both) has contacts over there."

This from an old acquaintance I'd bumped into and innocently asked 'What are you up to these days?'

I should set the scene fully here: we were in the signing-on queue at the DHSS...

He was a legendary Walter Mitty with all manner of whoppers, although the only time I ever called his bluff was about his nickel-plated .44 Magnum...I offered to go shooting with him at the local range (this was the 80s, when that sort of thing could be done) and that one at least turned out to be true. He was a great shot, too. I was always very polite to him after that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were a busy gigging band back in the 90's. Everyone in town knew our material. We were booked to play at a birthday party. I think it was a 30th. We played our set to about 40 people, none of whom got up to dance. We kept on and did what we always did, tried to pick dancey tunes rather than ballads etc. It was weeks later, I asked the guitarist, have we been paid for that gig yet? He said oh, I didn't want to tell you but the girl said she wasn't happy that we had done enough to get people up dancing. I hit the roof and he said, I was worried that would be your reaction. I couldn't believe it. We did get the money grudgingly but I was so annoyed that someone could blame us for her rotten party with a bunch of wet blankets for guests.

I was in a band in the early 70's who had a meeting in a very posh South Ken apartment with a wealthy aristocrat, who was looking for a band to help and "invest" in. Nothing came of it and I can't remember why. Anyway, I later saw on the news we had been talking to Guiy de Montfort. Look him up. We had a very lucky escape.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I was in a band in the early 70's who had a meeting in a very posh South Ken apartment with a wealthy aristocrat, who was looking for a band to help and "invest" in. Nothing came of it and I can't remember why. Anyway, I later saw on the news we had been talking to Guiy de Montfort. Look him up. We had a very lucky escape.

Wow, a lucky escape indeed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_de_Montfort,_Lord_of_Sidon

• Haha 1