Why become a member? ×

Oh god...basses do my head in

AndyTravis

Righto...

Been using a Yamaha BB714BS, it’s brilliant. But I only use the P pickup, and the humbucker is in the way.

Using a Modulus flea makes everything sound like RHCP (in my head).

so.

I have two awesome basses I’ve chased all over the place and wanted for years.

And I’m using a P setting.

how infuriating is that?!

Doesn't help that it was a crap rehearsal tonight in a god awful room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know the feeling - I've got three decent Jazz basses, a lovely Precision, and an expensive and beautiful Sandberg, but all I want to play at the moment is my Epiphone JCB, the cheapest of the lot.

If I was to sell a Jazz or even the Sandberg, I'd regret it forever - but it's often hard to remember that when faced with all six basses in a confined space!

I had a similar wobble recently.
I've amassed quote a collection lately, and I started to feel a little guilty about it, as I'm really only playing at home at the moment, BUT, I fully intend to get back out there once my youngest is a little older, and I know I would massively regret shifting any of them really, so hopefully it'll never come to it.

Don't sell them dude :) 

Eude

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Been using a Yamaha BB714BS, it’s brilliant. But I only use the P pickup, and the humbucker is in the way. . . . . . .And I’m using a P setting. . . . . . . . how infuriating is that?!

I have a PJ and never use the J because the P pickup sounds great on its own. If you own a bass that sounds as you want then it doesn't matter how you achieve the sound.

A bad sounding rehearsal room is a completely different issue.

• Like 1

Yup; I have a beeeeyoudiful Dingwall I never use; I know I'll regret selling it, but it's on my mind... I suppose I might look into trading it, as there's the excitement of getting a new bass in the deal, rather than just cash, which will be very quickly absorbed in Other Stuff...

35 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You’re just looking for an excuse to spend money. The thrill of chasing down a new bass is always there. (I speak from experience!)

Walk away from the computer, put down the phone and it’ll pass.

It’s not to buy anything, I already have a bass that will do what I’m after.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I have a PJ and never use the J because the P pickup sounds great on its own. If you own a bass that sounds as you want then it doesn't matter how you achieve the sound.

^ this is important to remember: you're not obliged to use every feature on the bass. The unfortunate drawback to a greater range of tones is that there will invariably be a greater number of combinations that don't sit well in your band's mix, or that you just plain don't like.

I have a number of twin-pickup basses on which, for years, I used the neck pickup exclusively. Then I upgraded my amp and cab, and blending in a bit of bridge became more palatable - but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Even one of my all-time favourites is a PJ, and if I'm playing in a band, I almost never touch the J. (It is, however, quite handy for adding a bit more definition when I'm practising at home and have to keep the volume down!)

• Like 2

I sold some high end basses/gear as while  they were lovely they were of more value to me as money in the bank. 
It’s fun to own more than one bass - I have three- but one is a used CV jazz nabbed for about £100 with some minimal upgrades, the second is a P so a no brainer and the third a JMJ which is just fun to play but it also sounds great.  I could reasonable shift two of these and still have enough basses for all my gigs but at this stage the cash tied up in them isn’t enough to make it right at this time. Maybe down the mine but for now it’s a pleasure to have all three. 

If you’re needing to get the cash shift the ones you can do without but you know that brown Yamaha will do the job... no wait it’s orange!

• Haha 1

Two things:-

1) You're thinking of the sounds that you want now. That will change in different musical situations, obviously.  There a loads of "basses I wish I'd never sold" regret threads on here and every other muso forum. If you've really wanted those basses and found the ones that you want, I can't see why you'd give them up. Back in my blues guitar playing days (mid-90's), I acquired a Gibson ES-355 - exactly like the one that BB King played before Gibson built him the Lucille.  Except the band line-up changed and I found myself playing the Strat more. So after constant pressuring from a workmate, I sold him the Gibbo 'cos I wasn't using it and I believed it was a "wasting asset".  Of course, I regretted it pretty much straight away and for 20 years after that until I lucked into my D'Andeglico semi, which is all round a better guitar.  The point is, there were loads of times I could have used that guitar after the break-up of the band where I used the Strat. Still not sure that I've learned the lesson, but I'm trying to avoid being bitten by the same dog twice.

2) You already have a bass that does the sound that you feel that you want, as well as the couple of fantastic basses that you're talking about above? Good. Use that for now, but you will still have the basses that you need for all the other sounds in your head that you will want somewhere down the line. Play the long game on this, unless you're in desperate need of the dosh - in which case, make some space in your life to prepare for Mr. Regret to take up residence. :sorry: I speak as knows.

As has been said, don't let one duff rehearsal in a rubbish room mess things up for you. Life's too short.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

^^ This is how I feel.  I am currently busy re-buying all the same types of 4 string basses that I sold 'when I moved exclusively to 5 strings' 😂

Same here, just change '5 strings' to '6 strings' and that's me!

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

^^ This is how I feel.  I am currently busy re-buying all the same types of 4 string basses that I sold 'when I moved exclusively to 5 strings' 😂

I’ve recently been considering getting a 5 string but the above is similar to my fear of OCD dictating I’ll have to have a matching 5-er for all my 4s, so have decided to only go 5when I actually need to.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve recently been considering getting a 5 string but your experience as above Paul was my fear, so decided to only go five when I actually need to.

My way around this now is to just buy both :)