Why become a member? ×

The Bass Centre Betsy Bass

geoham

After my beloved Fender Jazz was stolen last week, I'm currently without a 4 string fretted bass. I've not entirely given up hope of getting it back, but I am not full of optimism....

I do quite like the look of the new Guy Pratt signature model and a huge fan of Guy's - I remember watching the Floyd Venice show recorded from BBC when I was a kid, even before I knew who Roger Waters was! Has anybody tried one yet? How does it stack up against something like a Mexican Fender or Lakland Skyline?

http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bbm-betsy.html

Cheers,

George

29 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I think the general consensus is that it's a great bass, a modern sounding Jazz with a bridge that needs upgrading.

Thanks, that's basically what I've found too.

As pretty a bass as it is, I don't think it's for me. My missing Jazz has a high-mass bridge (Gotoh) and vintage voiced pickups (Fender CS 60s) and is strung with flats. I'd like to get something fairly close without having to do any additional upgrades... and ideally without splashing out on a Fender US Professional! My 'modern' needs are covered by my Lakland 5501.

Happy to listen to any recommendations, it's a crowded market!

1 hour ago, geoham said:

Thanks, that's basically what I've found too.

As pretty a bass as it is, I don't think it's for me. My missing Jazz has a high-mass bridge (Gotoh) and vintage voiced pickups (Fender CS 60s) and is strung with flats. I'd like to get something fairly close without having to do any additional upgrades... and ideally without splashing out on a Fender US Professional! My 'modern' needs are covered by my Lakland 5501.

Happy to listen to any recommendations, it's a crowded market!

Yeah I have both a modern sounding Jazz (with rounds and Nordstrands) and a vintage one (flats and CS60s) so my needs are more or less covered!

Well I just watched the live screening of the Saucerful of Secrets gig at the Roundhouse and I am sorry to say Guy Pratt mainly played an old R*ck 4001 and it sounded great. He did play the BC Betsy bass, plus a modern US Precision, an old Gold (or stained natural) Precision and a Warwick Buzzard (thankfully one song only) and they all sounded great. But the R*ck was more driving 🤔

Edited by Clarky

16 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Sorry to hear your news. A nice Jazz is a wonderful thing. Worth finding something modestly priced with a decent neck (a used Squier Jazz the obvious choice) that plays nicely and upgrading the p/us and hardware? 

It is indeed a nice thing. Mine was a 2002 Mex, Agave Blue with a rosewood board. Over the years I changed the pickups to Fender CS60s, the bridge to a Gotoh, fitted straplocks and a tortoiseshell scratchplate. I may pop in Guitar Guitar, or perhaps somewhere in London when I'm down for work in a couple of weeks and try out some. Seems so much choice now and much of it very good value.

There are a couple of nice Js on evilBay at the moment that aren't too spendy, including a Mex that looks good. If you do go the route of buying a bargain instrument and upgrading the bits, try a Babicz bridge. I put one on my Jazz and it works very well - better than the Gotoh it had on it previously.

• Thanks 1