Why become a member? ×

For the forum investigators... the lightest cab with WHEELS?

fretmeister

Quick background - I play in at a music trust every Saturday, in 3 different ensembles. Each requires a room change so I have to move my gear every 50 mins or so.

Current gear for this is:

Bass

Class D head

Barefaced One10

Compressor & tuner.

The amp rig is very light, but to save time between rooms I put my bass back in the bag, and balance the pedals on top of the Amp&Cab and then carry it, with my sheet music in another bag with a shoulder strap. I can then do it in 1 trip, which is pretty much compulsory. I don't unplug anything other than the power and the bass.

When carrying all of it, it's quite heavy so I'm wondering about approaching this from the other direction and getting a larger cab that has wheels so I don't actually have to do much lifting.

1 room change (in and out) has a couple of stairs but nothing too bad.

So what is the lightest cab you can think of that comes with wheels as standard? I'm thinking Tilt-back really and not like a Marshall 4x12!

I know the Barefaced Super Twin has tilt back wheels, but are there other options? Built in wheels don't seem to be that common.

All ideas welcome!

If you like your current set-up, just buy a fold up trolley from Aldi, ( I think they have them at the moment for £17), and a long bungee strap, the flat type, to keep everything in place when you move. I do something similar with 2 1x12's, a small head and an aluminium "bits box". Works a treat.

Job done for minimum outlay.

Looks like a number of like minded BassChatters.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

I'd still have to take the rig off the cart when in use other wise those things always end up with a nasty rattle somewhere.

If you have feet on the cab it just slides away. I just use the bungee to keep everything together when moving it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'd still have to take the rig off the cart when in use other wise those things always end up with a nasty rattle somewhere.

Then go for fixing casters to the bottom of the One10 and find a way to attach a handle - so the One10 becomes the base of the trolley and all the other gear sits on top - like a bag the aircrew use.

I'd look at lifting the pull-up handle from an old suitcase and go from there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Mmmm.

Might be worth trying and using the distance selling rules etc to give a trolley a proper go.

I might be able to help you with "used" one that you can move on if it doesn't work for you.

Got to be a folding trolley. The wheels on cabs are generally small, which means they are next to useless on anything but level/smooth ground. A trolley will mean you can use the gear you prefer, rather than be limited to the stuff that has wheels. Avoid the El Cheapo trolleys. You don't need to spend a fortune. I paid around £80 for something with a 120 kilo capacity that is still light and will probably outlast me. It carries all my PA stuff, too, which is a bonus.

7 hours ago, bertbass said:

I disagree - looking at the size of the wheels, that is unlikely to cope with a dirt-track car park, rough concrete flooring, kebstones etc. You need something with soft tyres on 100mm (or bigger) wheels.

David

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bertbass said:

+1!  Here's my rig with a similar product:

https://tchweb.com/three-stage-removable-surface-mount-extension-handle-with-wheels/

I looked at the one you linked to also before I bought this one as it seemed to be a little more heavy duty. This is my 3rd cab now with this setup. 

IMG_5654.JPG

Edited by Low Class

9 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I disagree - looking at the size of the wheels, that is unlikely to cope with a dirt-track car park, rough concrete flooring, kebstones etc. You need something with soft tyres on 100mm (or bigger) wheels.

David

From the OP: "Quick background - I play in at a music trust every Saturday, in 3 different ensembles. Each requires a room change so I have to move my gear every 50 mins or so.

Doesn't sound like he's going through any dirt track car parks. I've been using this setup on 3 different cabs over the past 2 years and I will never be without it. Works quite well in parking lots. Now it will be limited if the cab weighed much more (50lbs+) or if used in unusually rough terrain, but otherwise it is quite up to the job. 

Edited by Low Class
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Low Class said:

From the OP: "Quick background - I play in at a music trust every Saturday, in 3 different ensembles. Each requires a room change so I have to move my gear every 50 mins or so.

Doesn't sound like he's going through any dirt track car parks. I've been using this setup on 3 different cabs over the past 2 years and I will never be without it. Works quite well in parking lots. Now it will be limited if the cab weighed much more (50lbs+) or if used in unusually rough terrain, but otherwise it is quite up to the job. 

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

My entire route from car to playing is pretty smooth.

Fair enough - my load-in is usually anything but smooth so it colours my view of the world.

David