Why become a member? ×

Value for money.

Badretep

Some 11 years ago I blew a disc in my lower lumbar. The Trace Elliott had to go. At this time there wasn’t a lot of lightweight gear around. I went for Vanderkley, hugely expensive but incredibly good gear. 
But years on I don’t find it as light as I thought it was. Barefaced cabinets used by a fellow bass player and friend is incredibly light. 
Over the past year or so most bass equipment makers are going light but why the high price tags. This question of weight won’t bother the younger of our fraternity but I’ve been lugging bass gear around for nearly 51 years now so come on all your bass equipment makers what’s with the price tag. 

The best value lightweight cab must be a G1 or G2 Barefaced Compact.  They're selling now for around £300.    They sound massive.  If you don't fancy that, have a look at the Barefaced website.  But then, you'll be spending quite a lot more money.

Frank.

How many youngsters buy new equipment? I'd guess a sizeable proportion of those who buy new value light gear, whilst young folk value second hand and cheap, so the market will be determining the price.

As to where does the money go, to some degree R&D - making a cab lightweight will require redesigns in the materials and design of both the cabinet itself and the drivers inside.