Why become a member? ×

Constant tuning issues

Craigster

Hi folks, is it just me or is it generally troublesome to tune a bass guitar versus a 6 string electric using various gadgets? 

I allways experience issues with any chromatic tuner picking up a signal especially the bottom E, Ie: my tuner doesn't even register a letter on the tuner display, but strangley the longer i percist with twidling tuner knobs and unplugging and replugging jack cables, like a miracle everything starts to work. 

I've tried various gadgets and im currently using a boss tu3 tuner. I use a clip on tuner and ive used a behringer tu300 too, i even sent thi back to claim a fault with it! 

I use mains supply for the boss so i can rule out issues with batteries and i have 2 other basses, no difference. 

Basically as soon as i plug my bass in, the tuner doesn't pick up anything straight away, until i spend half hour pissing around stomping on the pedal repeatedly and re powering up and down. 

Sooo frustrating, anyone have any tips? 

Thanks all. 

Let me guess, the clip on tuner cost about £2. Or, is a cheap one which you can buy for £2, but you spent £10?

Buy a decent one - for example Snark - and it will be 100x better.

Same goes for the Behringer TU300, I started out with one of them but it never much good at detecting the low E; so nowadays my preferred is the Snark clip-on. I dare say a Boss or similarly expensive pedal-type tuner will do a much better job but I've no experience with those.

My snark sometimes briefly doesnt pick up the E or sometimes gives it briefly as a different note before showing an E.

I'm sure you already have but put the volume on the bass on full and tone wide open (clanky).

You can also try 12th fret as well as open strings if you have no luck.

• Like 1

I have a cheap clip on one, a cheap one on my board and have used a TU3, they all worked ok. The clip on type can be a little more temperamental, but I found that if you just shifted up an octave they were better. The cheap pedal was a tenner off AliExpress and matches the Boss performance wise.

My Korg Pitchblack often seems to have a mind of it's own. Doesn't register some notes, and then works perfectly. I've given u p worrying about it, but it can be nerve-wracking before gigs. It's never let me down, however, it always works sooner or later!

Try ringing out an octave harmonic. Just about any tuner will pick that up.

You can also tune by ear, you know. It's very accurate, too. Harmonic at fifth fret against next string up should confirm your pitch. Tuners are great, but ears are good, too. YEY7qB3.png

• Like 3

I find clip-ons can have trouble sensing lower pitched strings, too. I always use a plug-in and run the cable direct to it. I keep a Pitchblack pedal on top of my rig with a spare short cable attached so I can connect the bass directly to it. Only takes a moment to mute the rig, unplug the instrument and connect to the tuner.

yeah, another one who uses a TU3 and has had no problems with the low B on a five string.  Same for clip ons - currently use a D'addario eclipse and no issues

like others, the tuner is always the first box that my bass goes into on the pedal board.  If it's not picking up the signal then there must be something wrong with one of the output from your bass, your lead, or the pedal

I've used Snark clip-on tuners on a 5-string Yamaha and found that at certain points on the headstock, they do not register the low-B, or take a couple of seconds before they decide to display any note. As others have said, they can be confused by harmonics, so pluck close to fret 12 or tune to the fret 12 harmonic.

David

On 08/03/2020 at 21:07, Craigster said:

Thanks guys for all your advice and replys etc, really kind of you. 

I will try rearranging my pedal board and use shorter jack cable incase of signal problems. 

Thanks again

Where in the "chain" is the tuner?

I'd have it as the first thing you plug into to make sure that there's nothing preceding it, just in case.  I use a Zoom B3 now but prior to that I used a Mooer Baby Tuner and it's the quickest reacting and best tracking tuner pedal I've ever used.

Mute the other strings when tuning, even small vibrations from surrounding strings can set some tuners off. Also cheap clip ons are usually electronically great but mechanically suspect - they have weak springs on the clamp part meaning they don't pick up the notes as easily. Use your left hand to increase the pressure, they should work ok in a pinch.

Some cheap clip ons are better than others, I have a Kliq/Wetune one (also probably sold under a hundred different names) like this which has been fantastic, scored it for £5 new off Facebook too!
61GkwK-7gzL._AC_SX466_.jpg

On 08/03/2020 at 20:17, Craigster said:

Sooo frustrating, anyone have any tips? 

Remember to turn up the volume and switch on your pedal 🙂

TU3, Snark and the one on my Orange practice amp all work fine.

Some cheap ones are dire.

Harmonic at 12th fret if you are ever struggling.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:25, pineweasel said:

I've no experience with the TU3 but I have no problems with my two, a Korg plug-in type, and a D'Addario clip-on. Both support various instrument tunings so need to be set to Bass mode, however. Are you doing this with your tuners?

I've found the TU3 hit and miss on the low E.  It 'know's' it's around an E but can't seem to home in.  I usually tune on the octave to get dead centre.

I've had a few of the cheap clip on tuners - IIRC a company was selling them for £1 each and somebody posted a link here.

I've yet to find one that shouldn't be thrown straight into landfill. 

The best little tuner I've found is a Yamaha YT100 - you can pick them up for under a tenner - never had any issues with either of the two I have. I found one in a gig bag I'd forgotten about a while back - RESULT!!!