Jump to content
dmccombe7

What's your Day time / main job

Recommended Posts

I used to work in medical research. I worked in the UK and the Netherlands on lung cancer treatments and semi synthetic antibiotics. Specifically I used to help bioengineer novel proteins. Then took a missive career change and am now workIng with kids with a wide range of disabilities and still do a bit of lab work whilst planning and overseeing trips to various places around the world for a wide range of special needs kids. In addition I help run music groups and clubs for the same group of kids. It’s a nice mix as I still have the science side but also other things to keep my mind busy. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bills are paid courtesy of my job as the EMEA VAT Manager for a multinational merchandising company.

Been involved in VAT for about 37 years less a few years when I was doing the touring thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Then took a missive career change and am now workIng with kids with a wide range of disabilities and still do a bit of lab work whilst planning and overseeing trips to various places around the world for a wide range of special needs kids. In addition I help run music groups and clubs for the same group of kids. It’s a nice mix as I still have the science side but also other things to keep my mind busy. 

If you don’t mind me saying, that’s fantastic work you do there T bay ☝️

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

What with identity theft and all, plus an aversion to posting personal details on the line, I will not be sharing the details of my occupational life .

It is however considerably less interesting than anything posted so far :) 

Any one who knows me would have no interest whatsoever in stealing my identity. Anyone who doesn't know me and decides to try deserves everything they get.....😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2020 at 09:11, dmccombe7 said:

What exactly do you do. ? :D

 

bioinformatics: all kinds of (biological) data analysis, but mostly genomic and gene expression etc. Pretty looking graphs and stuff like that :D

Our lab focuses on the proteins that are embedded in the membrane that surround the nucleus of cells. Many of them seem to have a strong tissue-specificity and play roles in all sorts of things from mechanical integrity to signalling. There are a number of human diseases associated with problems with some of them and we're trying to understand the pathology. That's, in very broad terms, what pays for my guitars and other toys :)

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcnach said:

 

bioinformatics: all kinds of (biological) data analysis, but mostly genomic and gene expression etc. Pretty looking graphs and stuff like that :D

Our lab focuses on the proteins that are embedded in the membrane that surround the nucleus of cells. Many of them seem to have a strong tissue-specificity and play roles in all sorts of things from mechanical integrity to signalling. There are a number of human diseases associated with problems with some of them and we're trying to understand the pathology. That's, in very broad terms, what pays for my guitars and other toys :)

 

 

Fascinating stuff. I've had a few conversations with you on BC and would never have guessed that was your Daytime job. Please don't take that the wrong way it was meant with the greatest respect @mcnach 

Dave

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit this thread has turned out to be more fascinating and interesting than i anticipated.

Thanks for everyone for joining in. Now we all know a little bit more about each other.

Brilliant

Dave

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Self-employed consultant to the pharmaceutical industry and Board member of two health charities (Malaria Consortium; Prostate Cancer Research Centre)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work at a large clothing retailer, in past times @Norris was there. I have a unicorn role, I am the only java person but I also do all open source stuff. I also solve problems for people in winston wolf style. SSL, certificates, data formatting and data massage; you name it, I’ll work out how to do it, usually for free so no business outlay 


right now I’m developing a data lake with data from all over the business including mainframe statistics plus business statistics so people can join that all up in funky graphs without having to learn “green screen” mainframe-speak and export it all to spreadsheets. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 years in the navy, 6 years in electronic manufacturing (high end hi-fi), professional revolutionary for a year, 5 years at uni studying law, now a criminal defence solicitor - I have a CV that reads like a series of handbrake turns and have given up any hope of getting that big musical break! Fascinating to see the range of occupations on here.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

5 years in the navy, 6 years in electronic manufacturing (high end hi-fi), professional revolutionary for a year, 5 years at uni studying law, now a criminal defence solicitor - I have a CV that reads like a series of handbrake turns and have given up any hope of getting that big musical break! Fascinating to see the range of occupations on here.

 

CheHigh.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

5 years in the navy, 6 years in electronic manufacturing (high end hi-fi), professional revolutionary for a year, 5 years at uni studying law, now a criminal defence solicitor - I have a CV that reads like a series of handbrake turns and have given up any hope of getting that big musical break! Fascinating to see the range of occupations on here.

Navy to electronics to a defence solicitor.

Your career has gone right downhill @Spaceman   :laugh1:

Dave

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spaceman said:

5 years in the navy, 6 years in electronic manufacturing (high end hi-fi), professional revolutionary for a year, 5 years at uni studying law, now a criminal defence solicitor - I have a CV that reads like a series of handbrake turns and have given up any hope of getting that big musical break! Fascinating to see the range of occupations on here.

I also have a law degree, a Desmond that I got part time at night. 47 people started, just 7 finished 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Geek99 said:

a Desmond that I got part time at night

I only recently learnt this rhyming slang ("Desmond Tutu"; 2:2)..........it takes a while to get to continental Europe.😀

@Geek99 Congrats on your degree and for having slogged through night school to achieve it. Respect!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run my own recording studio in South East London. Anybody need anything recorded or mixed and mastered?

Prior to this, I was a civil servant for 17 years. I'm a pharmacologist by degree, but I haven't used that professionally for over 15 years.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I run my own recording studio in South East London. Anybody need anything recorded or mixed and mastered?

Prior to this, I was a civil servant for 17 years. I'm a pharmacologist by degree, but I haven't used that professionally for over 15 years.

Heard this man’s work

Its all good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, owen said:

Hurd.

Douglas Hurd.

 I suppose that makes mine a Damien, then 😎.

The most interesting / worthwhile job I ever had was teaching philosophy to undergrads at Cambridge University  - not full time, just did a few hours a week whilst a graduate student. After that there was about 35 years spent as a computer programmer, mostly in the city, which depending how you look at it was either a tedious waste of a lifetime or a dead cushy way of earning decent money which left enough time and energy to pursue other interests (mostly musical) in my spare time. These have included working as a composer in a very modest way for theatre, film, contemporary dance and TV - never getting anywhere near being able to make a living out of it - I'm really not very good - but making a nice bit of cash here and there from the best jobs (though many were unpaid). Retired last summer at 59. Hoorah! Now combining looking after our three geriatric cats (this takes more time and energy than I could ever have imagined) with playing nyckelharpa for a bizarre and theatrical 2-man morris side and also in Scandinavian music sessions, a bit of home recording for my own amusement and trying to learn Finnish.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoJo said:

I'm an internet Troll

No you're not.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2020 at 11:04, dmccombe7 said:

Fascinating stuff. I've had a few conversations with you on BC and would never have guessed that was your Daytime job. Please don't take that the wrong way it was meant with the greatest respect @mcnach 

Dave

 

:D

I'm not sure how to take that but I'll assume you meant well 😋

I find it quite interesting, but the bureaucracy and general admin load, coupled to a lack of job-security, takes away some of the 'fun'. Still, I seem to manage. ;)

 

This thread is indeed enlightening. We seem to have quite a wide range of occupations here. I'm positively envious at what many others do. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'm positively envious at what many others do.

Sometimes the job description doesn't match the reality though. 😷

Bioinformatics sounds intriguing to me!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...