Why become a member? ×

What's your Day time / main job

dmccombe7

Adult teacher.

Looking for a change though as the charity and education sector is looking pretty shaky right now. Anyone near Newcastle looking for a professional ultracrepidarian? 😁

• Like 1

I'm a Pensions Manager for a large Environmental Services company.

Strictly speaking I'm the Pensions Technical Manager, and while I do a lot towards making sure that our employees get paid when they retire, most of my time is spent on M&A work and bids for new business, checking legislation, etc.

There must be some sort of prize for the dullest day job, surely?

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'm a Pensions Manager for a large Environmental Services company.

Strictly speaking I'm the Pensions Technical Manager, and while I do a lot towards making sure that our employees get paid when they retire, most of my time is spent on M&A work and bids for new business, checking legislation, etc.

There must be some sort of prize for the dullest day job, surely?

You are the 3 TSB Precision of jobs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Day job these days is Software Architect for a Fintech/Regtech firm.

Currently implementing a global anti terrorist funding/anti money laundering system.

By the middle of this year it will be in production, and by the year after that there is a fair chance most of you will be in its databases...

Pretty cool tech involved to be fair, most interesting thing I've ever been asked to design. Scales to literally global proportions, very very big data indeed.

• Like 4

I'm an interior designer. Restaurants, cafeterias, eateries and coffee shops for corporate clients exclusively. Exclusively because they are the clients of the design company I joined 3 years ago after taking a degree in architecture, at age fourty, following many, many years as a cook/chef/burger flipper. It's a mixed bag.

• Like 6

My first job after uni was playing rugby but I found that too exciting so became an accountant. 

I am currently the Operations Director for a large Law Firm (basically looking after everything that allows Lawyers to do "law stuff" and not worry about practical things). 

I am also a trustee of a children's theatre group (part of my "giving something back" commitment I made a few years ago). 

• Like 4

Head of design and branding for Public Health England. Been working at the same place for 30 years (although the organisation has changed a few times). I've been insanely busy with COVID-19 this year, I was producing all the early posters and info for all airports/uni's and ports (in 8 languages).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did an apprenticeship to be an electrical maintenance technician.
Went on to maintenance planning engineer for a big factory, a job which i still do now.
Said factory is about to close though.
At which time i will start doing my "other job" as my main job.
I train dogs.
More specifically, dog agility.
Anyone watch Crufts? 
Few people i train were there competing. 
I love it.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, mcnach said:

:D

I'm not sure how to take that but I'll assume you meant well 😋

I find it quite interesting, but the bureaucracy and general admin load, coupled to a lack of job-security, takes away some of the 'fun'. Still, I seem to manage. ;)

This thread is indeed enlightening. We seem to have quite a wide range of occupations here. I'm positively envious at what many others do. :)

Was def meant well but on hindsight didn't come out that way :laugh1:

I've never met or known anyone that does that kind of thing hence the surprise..............honest :hi:

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FuNkShUi said:

Did an apprenticeship to be an electrical maintenance technician.
Went on to maintenance planning engineer for a big factory, a job which i still do now.
Said factory is about to close though.
At which time i will start doing my "other job" as my main job.
I train dogs.
More specifically, dog agility.
Anyone watch Crufts? 
Few people i train were there competing. 
I love it.

You should become a primary/nursery school teacher. One of my teachers also trains dogs in her spare time and she's astonishingly effective in maintaining discipline in a class of 8 unruly preschoolers.

6 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

You should become a primary/nursery school teacher. One of my teachers also trains dogs in her spare time and she's astonishingly effective in maintaining discipline in a class of 8 unruly preschoolers.

Funny you say that, recently bought an afterschool club for children.
Also a qualified strength and conditioning coach, so i combine all 3 and do obstacle courses for the kids :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Mind you she does keep them on a tight lead and beat them Senseless when they’re naughty 

• Haha 2

I work as a journalist for magazines around science, technology and engineering (mostly autonomous vehicles at the moment), and run a content agency where I work for brands and businesses (www.42group.co.uk if you’re interested - and yes, I’m a Douglas Adams fan!)

• Like 4

And I’m a spy and international playboy 

my hobby is torturing environmentalists by making endless flypasts of their homes in a particularly noisy private jet and dumping spare fuel/“blue ice” on them, although i tend to save the latter for annoying teenage ones. If it lands on a draft speech About how “the planet is burning” I shout “bullseye!” On Twitter @them. If I also dumped spare fuel they might find out that they were right all along, their bit of the planet suddenly is burning 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I work as a journalist for magazines around science, technology and engineering (mostly autonomous vehicles at the moment), and run a content agency where I work for brands and businesses (www.42group.co.uk if you’re interested - and yes, I’m a Douglas Adams fan!)

Life, the Universe and Everything :laugh1:

7 hours ago, goblin said:

I'm a musician full time, and I'm the events manager for a local venue on the side. I'm also a sound engineer, and make bespoke instrument cables. You can imagine how today has been for me!

Think you might be the first full time musician so far. 

Your prize is in the post. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Machines said:

IT Manager for NHS Blood & Transplant. 

Mostly ensuring our Blood Donor Portal & Organ Donation websites are working and coping with demand and a few projects bits too. 

Well done to you guys. Big believer in donor system. 👍:hi:

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Well done to you guys. Big believer in donor system. 👍:hi:

Thanks, i've been here 3 years after previously working private sector safeguarding shareholder profits, I realised after longer than I should that I hated it and needed to do something that had real world value. 

• Like 3

Been happily retired from full-time employment (Electrical Engineer) for over 2 years now.

These days I play Bass Guitar, do voluntary work for Cancer Research UK, and occasionally help out a Funeral Director.

Chris

• Like 1