Why become a member? ×

How to raise cash for a better bass? Is it even possible?

cgull

Took me 35 years before I could afford to buy a relatively expensive bass new. In the end my PPI came through and even then it was 'only' £950.

Save what you can, be patient and be prepared to settle for second hand. Life isn't fair but fate helps those who help themselves.

Otherwise - join a band, save all your gig money. Write articles and send them to magazines. Do a night shift at a local garage once or twice a week.

Plus late summer there will be loads of work potato and fruit pickling...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Interesting topic- its interesting that some have commented on this guy's GoFundMe as glorified begging.  As someone who has tried to set up a GoFundMe campaign (that hasn't really been successful) such cooments make me feel very uncomfortable, as I don't want to be seen as begging.  I guess in my case though I was at least offering something for the donations (a copy of the album when it was finished), that part of me thought that as I run a successful youtube channel with over 620 subscribers from which I have never earnt a penny I felt that those people who enjoyed my music might like to support me whilst I have hit tough finacnial times and had to sell guitars just to pay the rent; and that I at least only shared the campaign amongst frineds and my youtube followers.  I must admit, this guy's attitude is a little suspect- he already has presumably a good enough bass to play on (I am currently borrowing instruments from people) and he doesn't put his music out there for others to enjoy.  He's got more balls than me asking for money just because he wants a £4k bass to learn on!!

Robbie

There's a world of difference between running a gofundme to help with the costs of creating a piece of art which the funders then enjoy afterwards, and just asking for strangers to buy you a nice thing, because the nice thing you've already got isn't nice enough for you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Interesting topic- its interesting that some have commented on this guy's GoFundMe as glorified begging.  As someone who has tried to set up a GoFundMe campaign (that hasn't really been successful) such cooments make me feel very uncomfortable, as I don't want to be seen as begging.  I guess in my case though I was at least offering something for the donations (a copy of the album when it was finished), that part of me thought that as I run a successful youtube channel with over 620 subscribers from which I have never earnt a penny I felt that those people who enjoyed my music might like to support me whilst I have hit tough finacnial times and had to sell guitars just to pay the rent; and that I at least only shared the campaign amongst frineds and my youtube followers.  I must admit, this guy's attitude is a little suspect- he already has presumably a good enough bass to play on (I am currently borrowing instruments from people) and he doesn't put his music out there for others to enjoy.  He's got more balls than me asking for money just because he wants a £4k bass to learn on!!

Robbie

There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of artists crowdfund albums, Marillion were doing this before crowdfunding was even a thing and it's not just old rock acts either - De La Soul did it (the custom thumb drives were great!). I really like the idea as it is an artist interacting with their fan base and involving them with the process, it's removing the leeches from the industry and ensuring we get to enjoy music we would never have otherwise had the opportunity to listen to. In fact I prefer it to the traditional method of bands being signed to a label and paid a relatively tiny wage from their own earnings.

That isn't anything like "buy me an expensive bass because I want one", not even in the same universe. Although as I said before if anybody wants to buy me an expensive bass I'm cool with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

As someone who has tried to set up a GoFundMe campaign (that hasn't really been successful) such cooments make me feel very uncomfortable, as I don't want to be seen as begging.  I guess in my case though I was at least offering something for the donations (a copy of the album when it was finished), that part of me thought that as I run a successful youtube channel with over 620 subscribers from which I have never earnt a penny I felt that those people who enjoyed my music might like to support me whilst I have hit tough finacnial times and had to sell guitars just to pay the rent; and that I at least only shared the campaign amongst frineds and my youtube followers.

That isn't begging though, that is getting someone to fund you to do something, same as a kickstarter campain, so they aren't giving you money as such, they are just paying you up front or paying for something they want to be done. None of them care if you have a new bass or not, they care about getting the thing they want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Brook_fan To echo what many people have said, a kick starter campaign, which is more or less what you're talking about is a far faaaaaaaaar stretch from the "please can everyone buy me this nice bass pretty pweeeeeeeaase" tactic from the OP.

Yours has merit and purpose. However Mr @cgull is asking for 750 people to give him £2 each which is absolutely glorified begging.

If the guy has a job, a form of shelter, a car, a phone, means of the internet etc. then he's already pretty damn lucky. He needs to buy his own luxury toys.

Unless anyone wants to buy me a yacht? In which case I take it all back as I'd quite like a yatch. But if you do buy it for me, you need to also pay for all the staff and the mooring fees. I don't want to pay for any of it, I just want it. 

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

And there's Jack Conte's  Patreon for creators looking for patrons. 

Perhaps Partreon is the answer... the OP could ask subscribers to fund him buying the bass and setting up a YouTube channel where every month he posts up a video of him playing a bass line on his Mayones Viking followed by him singing “I’ve got a lovely bass!  I’ve got a lovely bass! I’ve got a lovely bass! And I didn’t even pay for it... you did... Nah na na nah!” That could work... maybe...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Perhaps Partreon is the answer... the OP could ask subscribers to fund him buying the bass and setting up a YouTube channel where every month he posts up a video of him playing a bass line on his Mayones Viking followed by him singing “I’ve got a lovely bass!  I’ve got a lovely bass! I’ve got a lovely bass! And I didn’t even pay for it... you did... Nah na na nah!” That could work... maybe...

You got me, I'm in for a couple o' quid a month. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

That's what I do when my hooker doesn't turn up. 😡

Notoriously unreliable are hookers. Do the rest of the scrum and forwards usually arrive on time?

Edited by TrevorR
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

You can simulate yacht ownership by standing under a cold shower with your clothes on, ripping up £50 notes. 👍

3 hours ago, binky_bass said:

That's what I do when my hooker doesn't turn up. 😡

If it floats or fùcks ...........rent it!

• Haha 1

Doesn't look like he's that interested in comments/advice - he hasn't been on here in 24 hours. Starting to look ever so slightly like he might have assumed he'd find a bit more sympathy here.

And by "sympathy", I mean "mugs".

• Like 1