Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz 75RI Japan - SOLD
£850
Bristol

Shambo

With a little reluctance, up on the chopping block is my 2008 Fender Japan 75RI Jazz.

I bought this because it was a ringer for the first decent bass I owned thirty odd years ago, an actual ’75 Jazz. The rosewood blocked and bound neck is an elusive combo to find with a black body, outside of the Mexican 70’s bass and more upmarket Fender offerings of a few years ago. It’s fair to say I was looking for a quality passive version of this guitar, on and off, for about twenty years. It came with a tort pickguard and I had a new bwb guard made to match the original ‘75 I used to own. It looks mean, moody and magnificent with either scratch plate, and if that wasn’t cool enough, it has a matching black headstock taking it deep into icy tundra levels of coolness. It still says Jazz Bass on the headstock but it’s in black and can’t really be seen unless closely looked for, adding to its unusualness. The string spacing is tight and the neck tapers towards the nut in a vintage Jazz bass style which felt instantly familiar in my hand.

The wiring is one of Ki0gon’s high quality series/parallel looms which gives it an extra sonic option. I tried quite a few different makes of pickup in this bass, but eventually settled on the excellent Fender V-Mod pickups, the type currently fitted as standard in the American Professional model. The original loom and Fender Japan ’75 pickups are included in the sale.

I also treated it to a brand-new vintage style Fender hardcase which has never left the house.

The cosmetic condition is excellent, with a pristine neck and only a bit of paint swirling, a little buckle rash and one tiny ding on the back of the body. I think the pickup placement is the more traditional spacing, not the 70’s one with the pup closer to the bridge, but I’m happy to be corrected on that point. Being shiny and black it’s a total fingerprint magnet but it looks great and sounds great.

4.18kg or 9lb 3 and a half oz, which is considerably lighter than most of the original 70’s Fenders I’ve tried. IMO the Japanese reputation for the care and attention to detail they bring to marrying pieces of wood together is well deserved.

It’s hard to price because it’s so difficult to find anything that looks quite like it, but I’d like £850 collected which, considering the extra scratch plate, loom, pups and new hardcase, means me taking a bit of a financial hit. I not in any hurry to part with it and it’ll be no hardship to keep.

£850 GBP collected from Kingswood, Bristol. Postage in UK is £30 extra. I'll gladly consider interest from mainland EU members who have good feedback and presence. I will post at your cost and exact quotes will be obtained for anyone with a serious interest. All trials are very welcome in Bristol. Payment is by cash or bank transfer.

IMG_3207.thumb.JPG.769ac7f3aa57e259eb9cbc5ccae300b3.JPGIMG_3208.thumb.JPG.8ee0a3cfbf5be4b8f3865e7ec80842bc.JPGIMG_3213.thumb.JPG.951b96cc368bd466db52f13efbf6e32a.JPGIMG_3215.thumb.JPG.ee1c2bd3aacb3a3d57144b65dd739dae.JPGIMG_3217.thumb.JPG.31647dd67628e3c018ff15f86b7d6c08.JPGIMG_3206.thumb.JPG.9e79efc9c77cb76f07ae15b32b8dab2b.JPGIMG_3229.thumb.JPG.2fb7b47e04a49eee382f1fd25dc6c4bb.JPGIMG_3231.thumb.JPG.d8779968ea86b574894cc8eea923e99b.JPG

Edited by Shambo
SOLD
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this is the right time to be asking couriers to deliver non essentials. Also, I'm not going to be going to the post office for a few weeks or until the coronavirus situation changes for the better. If you want to collect from me in Bristol, and taking in to account the current advice regarding social distancing, this might be possible... maybe we could do the deal in my front garden? Like an illicit drug deal in a Hollywood movie...

"Have you got the goods?"

"Yeah, have you got the money?"

"Yeah. Show me the goods and I'll show you the money"... etc...

If you drop the cash and back away then I'll edge forwards and pick it up, count it, stuff it in an airtight bag for at least 72 hours, leave the case on the ground and then back away slowly to go wash my hands. You can pick up the case when I've backed away, whisk it away to the boot of your car for transportation to the bass quarantine of your choice. We can exchange brief pleasantries from a safe distance then go our seperate ways. Or something like that, I'm making this up as a go. I'm bored and stuck indoors. I have no symptoms but that's not the point.

Please, by all means, get in touch if you want to express an interest, and I will give you first refusal when some sort of relative normality resumes. I hope you understand.

Stay safe everyone. Warmest Regards.

Stunning bit of kit Andy.  I lusted after one these in the '70s, when a girlfriend of mine had an album by Taste of Honey with one of the ladies holding a black jazz with rosewood/blocks very similar to this one.  Good luck with the sale and life in general.  

• Like 1