Why become a member? ×

Is this the single most pointless piece of guitar or bass gear ever?

TrevorR

Saw this Kickstarter video posted on Facebook and am still scratching my head thinking “Why?”

I set my strap height on all my basses to where it’s comfortable some years ago and, unforeseen massive weight gain excepted, don’t envisage changing it again any time soon. I don’t think I’ve ever done a gig where I’ve thought, “If only I could have  my bass at Mark King height for this song and down at Hooky levels for the next one...”

A solution to a problem that surely pretty much no one actually has!

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 4

Could be applied to many other areas of guitar! 

What about a small device mounted on the headstock which could be used to accurately adjust the pitch of an open string.....oh hang on, maybe there is need for that....
Or a device to finely adjust the volume output in case it needs to be off between songs, or something less than full volume...oh yeah....never mind.....
Probably difficult on the guitar itself but what about a small box, let's think....foot operated...which could magically "switch" from clean to overdrive tone? Hmmmm maybe?

So it needs to be original...I am going to invent a bass guitar neck with a lever, which allows the frets to be retracted during playing, instantly converting it from fretted to fretless! The mechanism won't be really complicated I'm sure......might start a Patreon for it!

• Haha 1

I've always fiddled with my strap actually, and a lot more so since my back & neck problems started in '96. There are certain basses that at certain heights I simply can't play, because it affects the nerves in my arms and/or causes me great pain.  And because I have problems with the nerves in my arms, there are some passages that are easier to play with my arm in a certain position, and the bass at a certain height, than others. As I mainly play the same type of bass all the time now, and I sit down and play in a particular style in my band (which isn't the only style I can play) I compromise, so its not so much an issue, but yes, I have often adjusted the length of my strap in the past.   

4 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Could be applied to many other areas of guitar! 

...So it needs to be original...I am going to invent a bass guitar neck with a lever, which allows the frets to be retracted during playing, instantly converting it from fretted to fretless! The mechanism won't be really complicated I'm sure......might start a Patreon for it!

505A6DE0-0401-441E-8113-346F863E130D.thumb.png.f17dd549180149c5196a35510a3b62c5.png

56D3561A-6DEB-460C-A7F5-551585CBC395.thumb.png.5c4d2ed172b4a45ecf1ff624631e394c.png

Edited by TrevorR