Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

Old Horse Murphy

I decided to take a few days off and went in to Cardiff with my wife today and called in to PMT. They never have best selection of basses, but the newly arrived Fender JMJ Mustang in roadworn black caught my eye. 

After trying it (beautifully built, sounds amazing, plays easily and comes with a spare black pickguard) and with a bit of negotiation, it was mine. 

E9045BDF-4F6D-4501-A216-3C908F07B566.jpeg

4E891E20-F7AB-4215-9D49-54940235F0CC.jpeg

0C16DEE3-6698-4324-B7C7-E04685E32944.jpeg

BDAFF4E8-72F5-40E9-9DFF-FDB54AF884F5.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 11

Fred's certainly a great looking bass.

I had the pleasure of playing a mates Thomas the tank engine blue JMJ a couple of weeks ago and have been gassing ever since. But the black looks even cooler. Great chunky but very playable necks and the pickup is very big sounding. 

I played one of these the other day and I came to three conclusions:

1. They’re great.

2. I like the feel of short scales.

3. It was a mistake and I shouldn’t have done it.*

*(for my GAS you understand).

• Haha 1

On 27/03/2020 at 19:37, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, I've given it a few weeks but must admit, I'm actually struggling a bit with the shorter scale. It's really causing me issues with my left forearm as it's a bit cramped for me. 

I'm not sure whether to persevere or to move on 😔

I've encountered the same with a 75 mustang. How much I love the looks and sound, I couldn't play it for a long time. I discovered that the different balance (little neck dive) made my left wrist cramp. Though I am sure I will try another one at one point, maybe a little change in neck profile or body/neck weightbalance changes everything drastically. 

For now, GLWTS... There are few basses that I think look truly great in black. The jmj is one of them :)

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Hmmm, no good I'm afraid. I'm going to put this up for sale later today :(

Sorry to hear that.  Have you tried it at differing heights, on the strap?

2 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I discovered that the different balance (little neck dive) made my left wrist cramp. 

I have a Vintera and American Performer Mustangs and both balance perfectly.

Neck dive is a killer.

Just now, grayn said:

Sorry to hear that.  Have you tried it at differing heights, on the strap?

I have a Vintera and American Performer Mustangs and both balance perfectly.

Neck dive is a killer.

Thanks chaps. This one has very little neck dive actually. The smaller scale is cramping me a bit too much and due to a long-term Rugby injury with my wrist and forearm it's giving me really bad RSI sadly. 

I managed to get my hands on a Squire VM Mustang about 4 or 5 years ago. It's been my go to bass ever since. Not to heavy, the smaller scale and narrow string spacing does take some time to get used to. I had a set up with Labella Mustang flats fitted and that's me sorted. I haven't bought another bass since except another of the same. It's such a simple, easy bass to use, no frills and a nice tone.

If you still fancy a short scale with a wider string spacing then maybe try a violin bass, I do enjoy a noodle on my HCT. Or maybe a Gretsch Junior Jet which has a wider nut.

100_0335.JPG

100_0194.JPG

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1