Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline Hollowbody 30 inch scale

Alberto Rigoni

3 hours ago, BassBunny said:

@solo4652

Steve, is this the Lakland you have? Maybe able to add some real user input.

Yes - this is the bass I have. It's my no.1 bass and has remained with me while other short-scales have come and gone. Some key points, from my experience:

It's very light - noticeably so compared to every other shortscale I've had. This is one of the main reasons I bought it. Hardly any neck-dive - with a wide, rough-finish strap it sits obediently in a slight neck-up position. Stock pickups are fairly bright and modern. I'm fairly sure that the stock arrangement is V/V/T. Mine's been changed to V/blend/T. The neck pickup solo-ed could not honestly be described as "Precision" tone. Rear pickup sounds pretty much like a jazz. Best for me is a 50/50 mix of the two, although I know that when Bassbunny played it, he liked the balance a little more towards the neck. See embedded video for an example of me playing it in a 5-piece covers band. Nut width is 38mm. The neck is quite deep front to back and for that reason feels a lot more substantial than other 38mm short-scale necks I've tried. Also, the neck is positioned more outboard than other shortscales, meaning my fretting hand is a little further away from my body than other shortscales, so the playing position doesn't feel too cramped. Only hardware issue I've had was a slipping hipshot tuning peg - replaced with a new one recently.

I've tried quite a few different strings. I've settled on Labella black tapewounds. Their depth of tone balances-out the slightly "modern" tone of the pickups to give a nicely rounded sound with plenty of low end. Fender flatwounds didn't work quite so well - a bit too bright on this bass, in my opinion.

These are pretty rare beasts - not often you see these for sale. I suppose the styling is a little "old school", but I forgive it that for the way it sounds. It will most probably stay with me for as long as I'm playing bass. 

Any other questions - just get in touch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxB5LU29Vc

Edited by solo4652
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Yes - this is the bass I have. It's my no.1 bass and has remained with me while other short-scales have come and gone. Some key points, from my experience:

It's very light - noticeably so compared to every other shortscale I've had. This is one of the main reasons I bought it. Hardly any neck-dive - with a wide, rough-finish strap it sits obediently in a slight neck-up position. Stock pickups are fairly bright and modern. I'm fairly sure that the stock arrangement is V/V/T. Mine's been changed to V/blend/T. The neck pickup solo-ed could not honestly be described as "Precision" tone. Rear pickup sounds pretty much like a jazz. Best for me is a 50/50 mix of the two, although I know that when Bassbunny played it, he liked the balance a little more towards the neck. See embedded video for an example of me playing it in a 5-piece covers band. Nut width is 38mm. The neck is quite deep front to back and for that reason feels a lot more substantial than other 38mm short-scale necks I've tried. Also, the neck is positioned more outboard than other shortscales, meaning my fretting hand is a little further away from my body than other shortscales, so the playing position doesn't feel too cramped. Only hardware issue I've had was a slipping hipshot tuning peg - replaced with a new one recently.

I've tried quite a few different strings. I've settled on Labella black tapewounds. Their depth of tone balances-out the slightly "modern" tone of the pickups to give a nicely rounded sound with plenty of low end. Fender flatwounds didn't work quite so well - a bit too bright on this bass, in my opinion.

These are pretty rare beasts - not often you see these for sale. I suppose the styling is a little "old school", but I forgive it that for the way it sounds. It will most probably stay with me for as long as I'm playing bass. 

Any other questions - just get in touch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxB5LU29Vc

Thanks a lot for the great feedback. I ordered one! As soon as I get it I will make a demo and some videos and let you know your thoughts 

cheers

alberto

21 minutes ago, Alberto Rigoni said:

Thanks a lot for the great feedback. I ordered one! As soon as I get it I will make a demo and some videos and let you know your thoughts 

cheers

alberto

Good for you! I should perhaps have said that mine is the Skyline variant, not the USA one.

Steve

They're still showing a pic of the original 34" hollowbody in the scrolling picture bar near the top of the Skyline Series page. It is discontinued though I think. I've played one of these and really liked it. It had a nice semi-acoustic vibe but was still tight and punchy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ikay said:

They're still showing a pic of the original 34" hollowbody in the scrolling picture bar near the top of the Skyline Series page.

Ah, so that's the discontinued 34" hollowbody.  Like I said, confusing if you don't know that.  When you click on 'MORE IMAGES' under the main pic, all images are of the 34" design too.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...