Why become a member? ×

NBD Spector question....

ozzy138

Just giving my new Euro4 LT a once over and on checking the tone controls I've seen this.... Anyone have any clue how they work?

It doesn't seem to resemble either the old Spector Tonepump or the new Darkglass Tone Capsule that's apparently comes with this bass...

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Dave

image0.jpeg

Edited by ozzy138

7 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Looks like a Tonepump with the cover missing maybe? Did you go for the Superlight version? 

Yep, i went in the shop for the Blue fade version but it had gone.....

Re the Tonepump, all the versions I've owned before were sealed units with a small trim pot you adjusted with a small screwdriver...... I think.

1 hour ago, ozzy138 said:

Thanks for your help...... all is now clear. And yep, the Spector is very, very good indeed.

No worries, glad to help a fellow Spector player. 

If you have the time please post some pics. These new LT's are killer and haven't seen a red one IIRC.

It's actually a specially voiced Darkglass pre-amp made just for Spector (apparently). The mid control being the cog on the preamp and the bass & treble controls being on the front of the bass...

I have an LT too and love the feel but still not convinced by the pickups/preamp. VERY bright/clinical so I may end up changing mine for EMGs and either an EMG BTS, Haz or Tonepump....

56 minutes ago, cetera said:

It's actually a specially voiced Darkglass pre-amp made just for Spector (apparently). The mid control being the cog on the preamp and the bass & treble controls being on the front of the bass...

I have an LT too and love the feel but still not convinced by the pickups/preamp. VERY bright/clinical so I may end up changing mine for EMGs and either an EMG BTS, Haz or Tonepump....

Ahhhh that would make sense, I'll dial the cog back and ease off the mids off a bit... Are the HAZ pre amps still available?

Be interested to hear how the darkglass sounds. I just picked up a Euro 4LX with Aguilar pickups and Aguilar obp-2 pre. Sounds great but the pre is really noisy so going to swap out for an East Uni Pre because I love the east pres and I wanted sweepable mid control.

17 hours ago, cetera said:

Yes.... but SILLY expensive (up to £400)

Wow, that’s reassuringly expensive...!!!! If I change I might go the EMG/Aguilar route again. At the moment though the Darkglass fits nicely. I’m running the bass through a Darkglass compressor then a Microtubes (which may well be moved on soon, I’m needing full on dirt less and less) then in a SansAmp......... 

14 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Be interested to hear how the darkglass sounds. I just picked up a Euro 4LX with Aguilar pickups and Aguilar obp-2 pre. Sounds great but the pre is really noisy so going to swap out for an East Uni Pre because I love the east pres and I wanted sweepable mid control.

Never used any John East stuff before, do they fit well with Spectors.?

2 hours ago, ozzy138 said:

Never used any John East stuff before, do they fit well with Spectors.?

Literally just finished installing the Uni Pre. It's a tight fit in the cavity but it does go in properly. Initial impressions are great and there's a heap of flexibility. I have east preamps in all my active basses now because I find that sweepable mid control so useful. I'm happy and it's finished off the bass nicely for me so it will now become a real workhorse for me.

On 09/03/2020 at 07:57, cetera said:

I have a 5LT but don’t find it super bright unless I boost treble. I would love a mid control though. Its fine having the cog to set the mids, but I’d like more control. 
I think with the right preamp those pickups will shine.

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2020 at 14:47, ozzy138 said:

Just giving my new Euro4 LT a once over and on checking the tone controls I've seen this.... Anyone have any clue how they work?

It doesn't seem to resemble either the old Spector Tonepump or the new Darkglass Tone Capsule that's apparently comes with this bass...

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Dave

image0.jpeg

*Pushes the idiots out of the way and steps to the front*

The white wheel is the awesome dial. With it turned all the way anti-clockwise you start at awesome. Turning it a notch clockwise increases the awesomeness.

Simples

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Did someone here had a chance to compare the Tonepump, Aguie and Darkglass on Spector ? I'm not totally convinced by the TP...

Also, am I alone to have the crappy plastic knobs scratching the finish ? they wont stay put unless pushed all the way in and hitting the finish
it's a kind of shame for the instrument price range...

4 hours ago, Uziel said:

Did someone here had a chance to compare the Tonepump, Aguie and Darkglass on Spector ? I'm not totally convinced by the TP...

Also, am I alone to have the crappy plastic knobs scratching the finish ? they wont stay put unless pushed all the way in and hitting the finish
it's a kind of shame for the instrument price range...

My preference:

1. Haz
2. EMG BT
3. TP with trimpot / K-Haz
4. TP (no trimpot)/ Aguilar
5. Darkglass

Yes, you are alone ;)

UPDATE....

I had the Euro4 LT and swapped it for a Euro 5LT, i wasn't that much of a fan of the Barts/Darkglass..... However, wow, on the 5 string i love the combo... they work well together.

I put a BTS in my Euro 4LX and the jury is out.......... i may well put the Tonepump back in.

On 27/04/2020 at 13:03, cetera said:

My preference:

1. Haz
2. EMG BT
3. TP with trimpot / K-Haz
4. TP (no trimpot)/ Aguilar
5. Darkglass

Yes, you are alone ;)

Good to see that you rank the EMG BT ahead of the TP. I have never played a Spector with that preamp but I am very tempted by this beauty that comes with the BTS: 1101352858_SpectorEuroClassicRed.thumb.jpg.f329de776f038742df1d1d34e9dc0b9a.jpg 

On 27/04/2020 at 23:26, ozzy138 said:

UPDATE....

I had the Euro4 LT and swapped it for a Euro 5LT, i wasn't that much of a fan of the Barts/Darkglass..... However, wow, on the 5 string i love the combo... they work well together.

I put a BTS in my Euro 4LX and the jury is out.......... i may well put the Tonepump back in.

Last summer, I briefly owned the new Euro 4 LT in Red Fade with the Bartolini/DG combo. I somehow never warmed to it and sold it. 

How do you like the BTS in your LX?