Why become a member? ×

Bruford - One of a Kind

dmccombe7

On 06/03/2020 at 15:28, fleabag said:

A treat for AH fans and Francis Moze

I was a very hard core Gong fan back in the 70s, but Gazeuse was the last album of their's I bought. Completely different band - I didn't much care for Shamal, but Gazeuse was so un-Gong like that I lent it someone and never asked for it back. 

But I guess that if you like Gazeuse and the other Pierre Moerlin led Gong material, then you probably wouldn't rate the Radio Gnome trilogy too highly  - horses for courses and all that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Punk happened as well as, not instead of other forms of music. Where's punk now?

And also punk happened 'because of'.

Depending on your definition of Punk, it has been filling arenas and stadiums for the last few decades. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

In case anyone is interested, there are over a dozen Jeff Berlin transcriptions, including Bruford tunes, in my transcription archive under the Theory and Technique section. 

Will have a look @Bilbo. They could be interesting. Thanks for sharing them

Dave

I absolutely love this record. As a great fan of Jeff Berlin's work, it was natural that I would end up at it at some point.

In truth, I had always preferred Weather Report, despite preferring Jeff's playing to that of Jaco. 'One of a Kind' struck me as the sort of fusion that had evolved from putting a jazzy slant on prog rock, and it was definitely at the proggy-end of the fusion spectrum at the time. I preferred my fusion a little more free and improvisational, despite their being a number of very good pieces of music on that record. 

On the other hand, I thought the follow-up, 'Gradually Going Tornado' was a better record. I preferred the slightly more textural approach of John Clarke on guitar who seemed take a very Holdsworth-esque vibe but in a very melodic sense. As much as I love Holdworth, I don't think he really struck gold until the 80's when he was writing his own hit records. The production on this record was much better and moving Berlin into a more central role really worked. The playing and the harmonic quality of the bass guitar parts on tracks like 'Joe Frazier' and 'the sliding floor' still stand out as incredible performances even today. 

I would say quite plainly that I was a fan of Bruford more than Bill Bruford per se, and I didn't really follow his career much after Bruford were disbanded. I gather that by the end of the 80's he had said that he was entirely done with rock and fusion and effectively retired into soft jazz work. 

The true crowning achievement of Jeff and Bill working together in my eyes is not Bruford at all, but the records they did with Kazumi Watanabe, particularly the first volume of 'spice of life'. Those records are utterly flawless fusion and Watanabe is an utter master. 

I saw JB and Kazumi Watanabe and a drummer I can't recall at a Bass Centre clinic when it was in Wapping. It was a really good clinic but I don't rate the LPs they did with Bill Bruford as highly as you do. My favourite JB recording was probably Road Games but his first two solo LPs were strong. I agree with you about Gradually Going Tornado. That is the most solid of the three Bruford outings. And I always enjoyed JB's vocals. 

• Like 1