Why become a member? ×

Bruford - One of a Kind

dmccombe7

After @Bilbo mentioned in another thread that he was transcribing a track from the Bruford One of a Kind album i thought i should maybe upgrade from my vinyl copy to a CD version.

Arrived yesterday and i had forgotten what an amazing album it was. This was what got me into listening to Mr Berlin and following his many youtube clips. If only i could play like him :laugh1:

Bill Briford - drums

Jeff Berlin - bass

Dave Stewart - keys

Allan Houldsworth - guitar

Did manage to see Jeff Berlin with John McLaughlan many years ago and he impressed me a lot live.

Just thought i would share part of this happy wee moment in life. Probably not to everyone's taste.

• Like 4

I saw Holdsworth in a tiny jazz club in Oxford many moons ago.  The venue  (  Old Fire Station ) downstairs houses about 30 people.  Excellent gig though, if you like AH. Just a DB and drums +  AH

I like his solo stuff.  Velvet Darkness is fab and i own it, and for other bands,  i have Gong's  Gazeuse !!  album and Holdsworth excels.  Bassist Francis Moze is outstanding

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

...Probably not to everyone's taste.

Indeed. :( Much as I like (muchly...) a lot of prog, fusion, jazz rock and much more, this didn't ring any bells at all; not the slightest tinkle. Badly-mixed drums weren't helped by the seemingly endless and pointless slatherings. No points from me, I'm afraid; sorry. :|

Edited by Dad3353

I am working on two Berlin/Bruford tunes at the moment: The Abingdon Chasp from OOAK and Lands End off Gradually Going Tornado. These four albums held my attention for years and, for me, represent, Berlin at his best. I always thought JB needed a strong producer and, when he is a sideman, he has the best drawn out of him without the excess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

After @Bilbo mentioned in another thread that he was transcribing a track from the Bruford One of a Kind album i thought i should maybe upgrade from my vinyl copy to a CD version.

Arrived yesterday and i had forgotten what an amazing album it was. This was what got me into listening to Mr Berlin and following his many youtube clips. If only i could play like him :laugh1:

Bill Briford - drums

Jeff Berlin - bass

Dave Stewart - keys

Did manage to see Jeff Berlin with John McLaughlan many years ago and he impressed me a lot live.

Just thought i would share part of this happy wee moment in life. Probably not to everyone's taste.

Dave Stewart, that brings back some old prog memories, seen him play in the band called Egg, 29th February 1972, I’m pretty sure he was also in the band Khan.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Bill Briford - drums

Jeff Berlin - bass

Dave Stewart - keys

Not everyone's taste but certainly mine. This was a huge influence on me. Jeff Berlin is one of my favourite players.

I was lucky enough to spend a bit of time with Alan Holdsworth a few years ago... such a lovely, humble man. He was an absolutely astounding talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Dave Stewart, that brings back some old prog memories, seen him play in the band called Egg, I’m pretty sure he was also in the band Khan.

Yup, he was in Khan, and plays on "Space Shanty".
What a rare joy to see Egg mentioned. I lurv them. In fact I think I love everything that has had Dave Stewart in the vicinity. I'd love the Corona virus if he'd been close to it! 😃

As to One of a Kind, I love both that album and its brethren "Feels Good to me" and "Gradually Going Tornado". They all have that emotional impact that make me move around as if I could dance in 13/8  -  4/4  -  17/8.
But who cares; they make me move! Better for my health than sitting still!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Don`t read his autobiography, the most boring piece of moaning I have ever read. Good drummer though.

I must admit, I find it difficult to take him seriously after reading his autobiography. As talented as he is, it was fascinating (in all the wrong ways) to see how someone who has been lucky enough to have had such a fortunate life could whinge so much about virtually everything and everybody...! 

Edited by peteb

8 minutes ago, peteb said:

I must admit, I find it difficult to take him seriously after reading his autobiography. As talented as he is, it was fascinating (in all the wrong ways) to see how someone who has been lucky enough to have had such a fortunate life could whinge so much about virtually everything and everybody...! 

Phew, thanks. I thought it was only me who thought like that after reading it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

All the -ve comments about Bruford's autobiography has got me interested in reading it now to see what you are all talking about.

Dave 

Yes, definitely worth a read if you're at all interested in the music and the era. To me, he often comes across as a 'glass half-empty' type of person. However, he's wise enough to admit some errors. For example,he says that he really didn't enjoy his stint in Gong at the time. Only in hindsight did he appreciate what they were doing and how they were doing it.

As an alternative and companion I can fully recommend 'Different Every Time' the authorised biography of Robert Wyatt. Similar times, similar skill level, radically different career path.

6 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Yes, definitely worth a read if you're at all interested in the music and the era. To me, he often comes across as a 'glass half-empty' type of person. However, he's wise enough to admit some errors. For example,he says that he really didn't enjoy his stint in Gong at the time. Only in hindsight did he appreciate what they were doing and how they were doing it.

As an alternative and companion I can fully recommend 'Different Every Time' the authorised biography of Robert Wyatt. Similar times, similar skill level, radically different career path.

Had to google Robert Wyatt as never heard of him altho i have heard of Soft Machine but never really listened to them much.

Think i might look at the Bruford autobiography

Dave

• 4 weeks later...