Why become a member? ×

1981 Gibson RD Artist Bass - SOLD
£1000
London

chenzo_1

This is an ’81 model, in clear nitro finish natural maple which has aged to a nice pale honey tone all over. The woodwork, finish, Gibson-branded Schaller tuners, and 3-point bridge are original. As you can probably see the pick-ups are not; the original black series V humbuckers were replaced 2 owners ago with chrome EB-3 type units (Japanese made, Allparts supplied), and the original Moog preamp replaced by what I was informed is a Bartolini 2-band EQ one. The brass nut and generic Gibson truss-rod cover are also not original, and rear battery cover is missing (One available on reverb). RD Artists have the classiest headstock on any bass ever I reckon, the Gibson logo and “flying note” inlay are real mother-of-pearl.  

The controls are; vol / vol / treble boost-cut / bass boost-cut, p/u select (neck/both/bridge), with micro-switches for active/passive (wish every active bass had one!), and phase invert.

Quite simply there is nothing that looks like these basses, or sounds like this one. They are heavy – a big solid chunk of maple, but really ergonomic – if you play fingerstyle (as I mostly do) you can rest your palm on the upper body cut-out whilst doodling away on the strings; so comfortable. Set neck, body-through stringing, extra-long scale (34.5”), and dense maple body means it sustains for ever. Versatile: you can get the muscular EB-3 sound (think Jack Bruce, Jim Lea, Andy Fraser….) but with more punch and top end available, rather more Fender P. The preamp is very effective and hum free but I almost invariably use it passive – just such a rich, growly, ringing tone. I reckon the chrome p/ups look so much more right on an old Gibson too. 

Unlike Thunderbirds these don't suffer from neck dive; nicely balanced.  Due to the construction and xtra long scale makes them ideal for drop-tuning malarky such as BEAD.

It's a bit of a beast coming in at 11lbs/5kg so not for the faint hearted.  Comes with carry case made from a keyboard bag full customised to house the bass snuggly.   Due to the size and length of the neck I cannot find a hard case, believe me I have looked. 

Based in London and work near reading.  Pickup much preferred due to lack of hard case, I can meet within reasonable distance and exchange ( Buyer to cover fuel costs).  

Will consider postage as last resort.

After £1000 no trades unless Sandberg VM4 

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

Edited by chenzo_1
SOLD
  • Like 6

I think this is my old bass, and woolleydick's before that.   If so, it's an absolute beast of a bass; more subtle in tone than with original pickups and Moog-powered circuit.

Good price too even with the non original mods; if I didn't already have two RD Artists I'd be having this straight back :i-m_so_happy:

image.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 1