Why become a member? ×

Music Man Sabre 1979 (PreEB)

noise_art

Here it comes...
my old - new friend called Sabre from 79 with maple neck, double HB pickups and two band, three-knob eq.
Neck pickup sounds like that, directly into Eden Navigator WP-100 PRE and then Audient ID44.

I like it's neck with vintage vibe. The bass is extremely articulate.
I feel lack of useful mids straight into audient DI, but I do like how it sounds with Eden's EQ.
Thought about putting John East mmsr but I am still exploring new sound fields using  an external pre.

Hope you'll like it!

And another one:

The first example I played using only neck PU, strung with Sadowsky Nickel (black). The WP-100 is in the path, smooth compression from onboard eden (dbx 160A-class) comp.
The second one is made using GHS flea signature, both pickups. I think the onboard pre is set on Bass 100&/Treble 50% straight into Audient's DI

Look at the huge difference in sound! :)
It's verry versatile bass in term of sound-creation, can sounds like P-bass almost, then MM-Style. I tried to compare this bass with 4-string WAL and it inspired me a lot more than WAL, do you belive in that? :)

Yup, it has some dummy's, as well as a lot of mojo :)

It doesn't sound like SR, has different type of low-mids.
The neck is rather D-shape, not so round like in MM bass.

Control knobs are explained over the internet, which are:
bass
treble
volume
boost switch (sounds rather than serial/parallel mode)
bright switch (no-one found it useful, but I would plug it into the wah/envelope/chorus) and pickup selector: bridge/both/neck.
A bit similar bass to G&L in some ways.
It's standard ash-maple MusicMan construction but the body seems to be smaller/thinner than in the SR line.
Heavy duty MM bridge/tuners

Edited by noise_art
changes
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@DamonUK thanx a lot! The Sabre model is not "obvious", it has 2 band EQ which is not only a cut/boost: by adding the highs, you just add the hi-mids. And the same with lows - clockwise it adds the low mids too.
Even if the bass knob is turned 100% on, this range is still much clean and not "booming" like in the other pres. Basically the midrange is controlled by the PU's in this configuration
I've found this bass really useful with Navigator pre, extremely good paired with onboard compressor (commonly I didn't use it much!)

This particular bass kills Wal to me (!) I chosen this Sabre amongst really good basses, as it belonged to my friend before.
I like Wal a lot, but took this MM just after tried the Wal and was blown away by the sound. Sure it has some "dead spots", a lot of dings, pickups have sign of hard using just like in Lee Sklar's frankenstein bass. 
But everyday I take this bass my girlfriend just hear the "Oh god, what a stunner!" ;) 

MM Sabre is kinda Wal IMO ;) 
Highly recommend these if you really like MM vibe being not a huge fan of SR (4) with all of it's limitations! ;) 
Onboard pre would be "useless" for those guys who expect "WOW" but plugged into a good amp it does the job! :)

Cheers!