gareth

Where would music be without emotion?

Another song packed with emotion: angst, loathing, hatred...

48 minutes ago, lowdown said:

This was my #2 vote.  I've seen her sing this live twice and I had a tear in my eye both times.

No vocals but so much emotion wrung out of a guitar. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lyrics wise, Meet on the ledge. Old hat I know but very emotive.

Musically,  can't beat Leslie West's two solos in Theme from an imaginary western or, The supernatural by Peter Green on Mayall's A hard road.

Edited by leschirons

Kraftwerk. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I agree, especially the latter.

Wicked Game is beautiful too. Loads of emotion despite the rhythm section basically being created from samples....!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Wicked Game is beautiful too. Loads of emotion despite the rhythm section basically being created from samples....!

I find it impossible to listen to Awaken without crying. It’s my all-time favourite piece of music. I just find it incredibly moving.

WG - the song and the voice. Wish I’d written it. 

Edited by 4000

On 05/03/2020 at 19:00, 4000 said:

James Last , surely? ;)

Had the pleasure of meeting him and had a very drunken end of tour dinner with a bunch of his musos. Might not be your cup of tea, but there was plenty of emotion in the playing at his gigs.

On 05/03/2020 at 22:30, el borracho said:

Always loved the vocal performance in Abba's Gimme Gimme Gimme but this version is even better - you can really hear how she sang it.

Second line of the chorus is quite surprising - once you've heard it you can hear it in the usual version.

Winner Takes it All is bursting with the stuff too!

@4000 what a great song, I’ve heard it before but never really listened to it, it’s a nice Bassline too , I’ve added this to my playlist.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 08:15, ead said:

I propose Bowie's Wild Is The Wind be included here.  Great lyric.

Another Bowie track that might not seem emotional in the classic vein, but I think has it by the bucket load is Kooks. Can hear the love pouring out of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Had the pleasure of meeting him and had a very drunken end of tour dinner with a bunch of his musos. Might not be your cup of tea, but there was plenty of emotion in the playing at his gigs.

I’ll take your word for it. 😉

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Kraftwerk. 

Or the Pet Shop Boys...

On 06/03/2020 at 09:20, MacDaddy said:

Indeed where would music be without emotion? Such as anger, fear, and frustration, exemplified here by the popular 4 beat combo Slayer in the composition entitled Angel of Death. The lyrical content of which concerns Dr Josef Mengele. 

I think people tend to immediately think of happy or unhappy emotions with regard to music. You tend to forget about anger, fear, frustration etc.

• Like 1

This version of Here Again by Elevation has quite a lot of emotion in it.

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Try this one, Michael :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ambient said:

I think people tend to immediately think of happy or unhappy emotions with regard to music. You tend to forget about anger, fear, frustration etc.

Aye... Most folks think music with emotion is slow and wet. In actual fact all music is emotional, as it all involves some sort of feeling - even if it is only greed or cynicism!

So just because Kraftwerk aren't singing trite little songs about they love this bird/bloke/chicken doesn't mean there isn't emotion in their music!

But if we're going to have loveydovey cheese, here's some with humour and serious groove!

• Like 1

This for me is the perfect example of emotion in music. Compare this definitive version with the abomination that charted a few years ago. All the bombast and faux emotion of the latter wrecked the song, whereas this fragile, broken, gentle version is, IMO, perfect.

• Like 1

This is a favourite of mine, depending on how your feeling it can be emotional , nice tune