Why become a member? ×

Passive wiring 2 pups 4 pots, what would you do?

Booga13

I'm contemplating getting a wiring loom built to give varitone a try using Myhumbleworkshop on Ebay and I have 4 pots to 'fill'  and 2 mm style  pickups

I was originally think vol vol tone tone but having picked up a nice custom job with an East preamp I'm liking the pickup blend option so thinking blend-vol-tone-tone but I've got a long history of bad decisions so thought I'd run it by you guys 😁 

Is a varitone control for each pickup just a waste, a bad idea or a wonderful thing?

Vol - blend - 2 tone switches for each pu.

Vol - blend - tone switch - series/parallel switch.

Tone switch has the cap, but also a trimmer. Adjust the sound with the trimmer.

You can find blend pots from Bourns. Type is dual 250k or 500k MN.

Edited by itu

...and one more, if you have a three position or a rotary switch: you can have a bypass, where the pots are excluded from the circuitry. Clearer tone, more highs. Good for studio work, where the desk can be your preamp.

Personally I would check out how good the tone is from the bass itself. That would be completely un coloured by any tone controls. I once had a very expensive hand built where the resonance of the wood (or lack of it) was masked by  the active circuit which is not good.

Less is more in my book and having controls akin to the flight deck of the starship enterprise may be compensation too far.

BTW Money spent on some tuition from Paul Geary gave me the tone I needed from my fingers. 
That is what I would consider first.

Edited by andrew_actium