Why become a member? ×

TE or ASHDOWN ?

fleabag

I've been debating a while for maybe a  TE  GP7 / GP12   1x15 combo, or ASHDOWN  ABM EVO  1x15 combo, and  unsure of which way to go.

I rehearse through our rhythm gits own TE GP7 SMC 300 watt  combo, love the sound, but what happens if  the electronics go a bit turbo ?

ASHDOWN are at least still around and have legendary customer service, and  are able to deal with problems.   But  do they stack up to each other  in tone versatility and  output  ( perceived to the human ear  )

I'm aware of the weight issues, but for now, not on my list of worries

I am a Trace Elliot fan, however to my ears the Ashdown amps are more versatile in that you can get a semi hi-fi clean tone or you can dial in a gritty, dirty overdriven sound. 

Trace Elliot amps are great but if you don't like the 'baked in' pre shape sound you are pretty much just left with the graphic to get your core tone (or pedals). However if you want and need 'that Trace Elliot sound' though then it has to be Trace. 

In general I prefer the Trace Elliot speakers (usually Celestion) to the Ashdown speakers. So I would probably pair an ABM head with a Trace Elliot 1x15 or 2x10.

Thanks chaps

Veering towards  Ashdown at the mo

I do like the TE sound, but i dont use the pre-shape, just the graphic, and switch from bridge to neck pickup to change my sound for certain songs.

Maybe the little bit of extra tone possibilities from an Ashdown is more attractive.  The fact that Ashdown are alive and kicking is also something in their favour

Edited by fleabag

42 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I am a Trace Elliot fan, however to my ears the Ashdown amps are more versatile in that you can get a semi hi-fi clean tone or you can dial in a gritty, dirty overdriven sound. 

Trace Elliot amps are great but if you don't like the 'baked in' pre shape sound you are pretty much just left with the graphic to get your core tone (or pedals). However if you want and need 'that Trace Elliot sound' though then it has to be Trace. 

In general I prefer the Trace Elliot speakers (usually Celestion) to the Ashdown speakers. So I would probably pair an ABM head with a Trace Elliot 1x15 or 2x10.

Agree here, im a big Ashdown fan when it comes to their heads, not so much when it comes to their cabs.  An Ashdown head with a trace cab would be best of both worlds

• Like 2

can't speak for combo's but I tried an Ashdown ABM 500 EVOIII head as back up for my Trace GP12 200 watt head and the Ashdown wasn't a patch on the Trace power wise (and they both weighed the same) and I prefered the Trace sound but that's personnel preference, I will say though, IMO, don't use the preshapes (on either), sucks all the mids out, sounds good on it's own but just doesn't cut through in a band situation 

• Like 1

I have an Ashdown EVO combo which is ideal for home use. I also have TE heads - ideal for making lots of noise and light enough (10-12lbs) not to be a problem when you need to take them out. Having owned more than one combo in the past I really would avoid them for the benefit of my back.

• Like 1

Yes, there is that with the volume thing.  We generally only use a vocal PA,  and  with  drummer, gitwrist, and keys + 3 singers,  maybe i'd be better off with the -  *cough *  Trace Watts  :)

Nowt wrong with Ashdown ‘watts’ in my experience. Have own ABM 1, 3 and 4 heads over time and never struggled for heft. Love TE stuff too but the  continued presence of Ashdown plus their customer service(which is amazing even years down the line on the age of a product) is a huge, huge tick in the box for me...

• Like 3

My only experience with Trace gear has been in a few studios, it was ok but it didn’t make me want to rush out and buy it,  I prefer Ashdown myself, I still have a mag 300 combo which went everywhere with me at one time, it’s battered and lives in my summerhouse now, but it’s still going strong , also with Ashdown you’ve always got the great,  after sales service 🙂

• Like 2

Definately heading in the Ashdown direction. People like both TE and Ashdown gear,  but its swings and roundabouts, really.  Except that Ashdown are alive, and kicking well and that is a big point

I guess i would be fine with either,  but  i like Ashdown's reputation for customer focus,  which of course is pretty non existant for  Trace

• Like 4

Despite what I've posted before, I do prefer the preamps on the two Ashdown heads I've had. And the fact that they're a going concern with good customer service is a big positive. I'm quite lucky because I've got a mate who lives locally and he deals with my Trace stuff for me. I'm using my Trace stuff as glorified power amps with a bit of eq really, amplifying my board sound and providing eq for the room and a di. A lot of people don't need really loud. Playing in a pretty raucous rock band in medium to large venues, I do and I can get it with less faffing thru a single 4x10 with my Trace heads. Horses for courses and good luck with your search!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

So in the end,  its  an ABM EVO  1x15 combo  ( which  series ?  Mk 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8  etc ?  )

And was there an ABM EVO 2x10  Mk 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8  etc ?

Yeah, they did (and might still do) 2x10 and 1x15 combos, much like TE did. 

Basic designs have not really changed. The original run of amps I think were 'only' 300 watts. Later amps were 500 watts. Being used I would be more concerned with the condition of the actual amp in question rather than the model. 

• Like 1

I had  TE 1x15 7215 SMC combo and the sound was lovely. It was heavy but distinctive. I switched to Ashdown when I went to separates and have ended with the ABM EVO IV 600 (rack version) which I think is one of their best ever models. I can't recall if they did the 600 Evo IV in combo form.  I think there's a difference between the EVO III and IV.

As you point out,  Ashdown are still here and their customer service cannot be beaten, which is just as important!

• Like 2

This being BC, you should get both, of course......;)

If you're set on a combo, it really has to be Ashdown (as I think you've already decided) - as The Greek points out; Trace ones are seriously heavy.

I use both - "compact" rig is an Ashdown MK500 with 4x8 and 1x15 mini-cabs, "big rig" is Trace AHSMX600 with 2x10 and 1x15 cabs.   Unsurprisingly the bigger Trace cabs have the edge, but if I had to pick one of the heads it'd be the Ashdown.

image.jpeg

• Like 2