Why become a member? ×

Sean Hurley - great P & flats tone / solo

wateroftyne

Sorry but I'm not seeing anything, just this text.  What's wrong?

"Bass moment at the end of “Black Coffee in Bed”. What’s better than hearing your name announced by @glenntilbrook ? 🇬🇧 Thanks to everyone in @squeezeogram who made me feel (and play) like a member of the family.

Posted by Sean Hurley Bassist on Wednesday, March 4, 2020 "

4 hours ago, obbm said:

Sorry but I'm not seeing anything, just this text.  What's wrong?

"Bass moment at the end of “Black Coffee in Bed”. What’s better than hearing your name announced by @glenntilbrook ? 🇬🇧 Thanks to everyone in @squeezeogram who made me feel (and play) like a member of the family.

Posted by Sean Hurley Bassist on Wednesday, March 4, 2020 "

https://www.facebook.com/seanehurley/videos/674359219969078/

On 4 March 2020 at 22:47, wateroftyne said:

Sean's a great player, currently touring with Squeeze. I like this.

What a tone.

I like this too - very nice solo.

However it would sound a million times better on a Stingray or Wal with rounds, or even flats IMHO. 

I don't dislike the tone, just not my favourite bass tone - but I suspect he's having to work very hard to get that level of aggression into a Precision with flats. 

Edited by drTStingray

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I don't dislike the tone, just not my favourite bass tone - but I suspect he's having to work very hard to get that level of aggression into a Precision with flats. 

He’s not tickling the strings, but he’s hardly thrashing it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I like this too - very nice solo.

However it would sound a million times better on a Stingray or Wal with rounds, or even flats IMHO. 

Meanwhile, over on FoodChat, DrMexican said “The Chinese dish was excellent, great balance of sweet and sour, however I would have preferred it if it was Indian, or even better, Mexican.”

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, scalpy said:

Meanwhile, over on FoodChat, DrMexican said “The Chinese dish was excellent, great balance of sweet and sour, however I would have preferred it if it was Indian, or even better, Mexican.”

THIS. 😂

On 04/03/2020 at 22:47, wateroftyne said:

Sean's a great player, currently touring with Squeeze. I like this.

What a tone.

I saw his recent SBL trio recording video and was astonished by the clarity and warmth of the sound that he get's without seemingly any finger noise / fret noise. Beautiful tone - trying my hardest to get close to it but falling massively short! Great solo too - very much in the style of the iconic Willie Weeks solo from 'Everything is Everything' - also perfect supportive playing from the drummer on this solo. This is ALL GOOD :)

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

He’s not tickling the strings, but he’s hardly thrashing it. 

Agreed it's not a Flea type of thrashing but he is indeed plucking them pretty hard. You have to if you're going to get that sound out of a Precision.

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Very droll - however a far better analogy would be preferring salt and vinegar on your chips rather than not. Or gravy on your roast and veg. 

It's a matter of taste 😏👍  

1 hour ago, dodge_bass said:

I saw his recent SBL trio recording video and was astonished by the clarity and warmth of the sound that he get's without seemingly any finger noise / fret noise. Beautiful tone - trying my hardest to get close to it but falling massively short! Great solo too - very much in the style of the iconic Willie Weeks solo from 'Everything is Everything' - also perfect supportive playing from the drummer on this solo. This is ALL GOOD :)

I agree with all of this - and the key to the lack of finger noise is largely achieved by muting (probably left hand) in this case as he's playing hard. Good EQ ing of the final mix also is helpful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I agree with all of this - and the key to the lack of finger noise is largely achieved by muting (probably left hand) in this case as he's playing hard. Good EQ ing of the final mix also is helpful. 

Yes - I think you're right. I've worked long and hard on this but still get some noise, only noticeable when playing solo / without other supporting instruments. And yes I reckon you're spot on about the EQ-ing as well.

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

and the key to the lack of finger noise is largely achieved by muting (probably left hand) in this case as he's playing hard. 

Also his Fender CS signature model (which he is playing in the clip) has a rocker mute fitted, which presses a strip of stiff foam to the underside of the strings near the bridge. 

4 hours ago, Kevsy71 said:

Also his Fender CS signature model (which he is playing in the clip) has a rocker mute fitted, which presses a strip of stiff foam to the underside of the strings near the bridge. 

... and a mighty fine device it is too, sir! 

Lovely playing in the clip, and yes, reminiscent of Willie Weeks.

• Like 1