Why become a member? ×

NBD, believe the hype?

Defo

Been after a passive jazz and rather than scrape together the 1-2k I'd normally deem necessary I decided to have a go with one of these, the Squier Classic Vibe 60s jazz - admittedly based purely on the OTT reviews I've read everywhere, who knows maybe I've saved myself a fortune. Maybe yes maybe no, I'll let you know in a week or so.

DD96430E-1C4A-4C73-A090-EC95806391E8_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Defo said:

Been after a passive jazz and rather than scrape together the 1-2k I'd normally deem necessary I decided to have a go with one of these, the Squier Classic Vibe 60s jazz - admittedly based purely on the OTT reviews I've read everywhere, who knows maybe I've saved myself a fortune. Maybe yes maybe no, I'll let you know in a week or so.

DD96430E-1C4A-4C73-A090-EC95806391E8_1_105_c.jpeg

Consider fitting 5mm x 3mm neodymium magnets, you have to push the pole pieces down into the body. Turns Squier PUPpies into ravaging wolves 🙂

Back when I was thinking of trading my Musicman in for a Fender Jazz, I A/B'ed a Squier CV against the just released 2012 American Standard Jazz bass.  The Squier was about £360 and the American Std about £1200. The American Standard had a nicer finish on the neck and a smoother, rounder sounding neck pickup, but it was nowhere near 3 times nicer than the Squier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , thought I'd let you know about the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz above. I've had it a week now and these are my thoughts - (I A/B'd it with my Mayones Jabba for comparison)

1. It is not flawless but it is pretty much faultless (minor discolouration on the left side of the nut, about 2mm wide was all I could find)

2. The neck is super comfortable and pretty fast, one of the most comfortable necks I've played if I'm honest - that said the fingerboard feels a bit "dry", although if you have calluses (don't we all?) I can't see this being significant

3. Playability is superb, it plays itself to be honest and in this respect, yes I think you can believe the hype.

4. Amplified is where the jaw-drop moment comes for me, it sounds fantastic, but not subtle, some might find it a bit too lively

5. No, it doesn't feel like a 3 grand bass, but it could pass for a 1k bass, that said it doesn't match up to the Jabba across the board.

6. This bass is a ton of fun and I've hardly had it out of my hands since I got it, maybe that's more important than being boutique?

7. I WILL be playing it at my next gig.

Fill your boots!

Edited by Defo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Defo said:

Hi , thought I'd let you know about the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz above. I've had it a week now and these are my thoughts - (I A/B'd it with my Mayones Jabba for comparison)

1. It is not flawless but it is pretty much faultless (minor discolouration on the left side of the nut, about 2mm wide was all I could find)

2. The neck is super comfortable and pretty fast, one of the most comfortable necks I've played if I'm honest - that said the fingerboard feels a bit "dry", although if you have calluses (don't we all?) I can't see this being significant

3. Playability is superb, it plays itself to be honest and in this respect, yes I think you can believe the hype.

4. Amplified is where the jaw-drop moment comes for me, it sounds fantastic, but not subtle, some might find it a bit too lively

5. No, it doesn't feel like a 3 grand bass, but it could pass for a 1k bass, that said it doesn't match up to the Jabba across the board.

6. This bass is a ton of fun and I've hardly had it out of my hands since I got it, maybe that's more important than being boutique?

7. I WILL be playing it at my next gig.

Fill your boots!

Think that is another OTT review. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have owned some expensive boutique basses and played quite a few more, but the most pleasure and fun I have had playing a bass has been when I had a fiesta red classic vibe and a vintage modified precision V.

No they aren’t perfect but I never smiled so much getting such a brilliant sound and experience out of such cheap basses.

next on my list is a Sire V7