Why become a member? ×

Pedal combiner/mixer

Subthumper

Hi folks. I have a situation on my pedal board where I split the signal and run through two different chains of fx. This is not a problem as I have two inputs on my amp which mixes the two sounds back together. However it becomes a problem when I have to do a gig using a shared'/house bass amp and the sound guy just wants to use one DI and I have only one input on the amp and only hear half my sound. Ive tried a passive mixer but that just sucked the life out of the signal and sounded crap. So I just bought a mini 4 channel line mixer that is powered but found that it is distorted no matter what settings I use.

Does anyone make a dedicated pedal mixer that would do the job? The idea is that I run my two effects chains into it and then into my sansamp so I DI all my sound in one simple go.

11 hours ago, AJ567 said:

If you don't need a device which can adjust the levels of the two signals, then the JHS Summing Amp may also work. Bright Onion could probably make you the same thing for cheaper though.

I got Bright Onion to make me a custom pedal mixer a few years back. Reasonably priced and a pretty speedy build time, especially as it was one of three custom pedals I ordered together. Would recommend them highly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any ABY pedal..I use the LS 2 and a lehle Dual (awesome) and I am waiting for a donner pathfinder as this has phase reversal ( i run 2 amps) and also has volume to both outputs...also if it doesnt give ground loops it will be a bargain at £35.00.... thought I would give it a go......Gigrig abybaby also very good but expensive..... there are quite a few on the market just make sure they are ABY and not A/B pedals.

On 04/03/2020 at 18:23, Subthumper said:

So I just bought a mini 4 channel line mixer that is powered but found that it is distorted no matter what settings I use.

What was the 4 channel line mixer ?

Seems something wrong if that didn't work properly.

Bear in mind that a ABY pedal will simply join the outputs of the two chains together.

Whether that works properly depends on the output impedances of your fx chains and the input circuit you're going into.

Edited by rmorris

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

While splitting a single signal into two works fine passively, I've never had any success with combining 2 signals together without some form of active level matching.

yeah - the circuits load each other resulting in loss of level (and a likely change in frequency response).The loss will be equal in each output only if the output impedances are identical.