Why become a member? ×

Building Speed through Playing Scales

wishface

Probably helps speed as well, but it's a great way of "unlocking" the fretboard.

Try playing each scale from the lowest note on the fretboard to the highest and back down again, taking a different route each time. Playing scales in intervals is good practice. Also, playing the scales in different rhythms... like triplets and swing eighths.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wishface said:

Is simply running up and down scales and modes with a metronome a good way to build speed?

What about playing them through intervals instead of sequentially?

It might help with speed, but it's a good way to become familiar with all the notes in all the positions. That will enhance your accuracy and playing vocabulary should you choose to use those patterns in your playing.

50 minutes ago, wishface said:

Interesting thanks.

Is there a reason why you shouldn't rake when playing such lines?

I think In this instance it’s to build speed when crossing strings using alternating picking , but whatever works for you , raking works for me but I don’t really play any super fast lines though. 

Edited by Reggaebass

On 04/03/2020 at 23:08, wishface said:

Is there a reason why you shouldn't rake when playing such lines?

Same. It's a thing I do so it's become hard not to, and I'm wondering how raking would ever slow me down or get in the way when I cross down a string. I'm trying it the proper way (rigidly alternating) and I'm a bit lumpy - but it helps to understand why no raking.
Years ago I studied flamenco and exactly the same thing - fast passages across strings - alternate fingers no matter what. Maybe it's where ultimate precise speed comes from?

• Like 1