Why become a member? ×

What's the best class D bass amp head you've used?

thebassist

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

If we're talking about volume, the biggest factor is the efficiency of the cabs. I run a 300w head, and if I use both my BF cabs, it's ridiculously loud*. I mean drummer-drowning, ear-protection, stoopid loud. Numbers of watts can be a distraction and nothing more...

* In fact, it goes nearly as loud with just the Super Twin...

Agreed, I was just going to post the same.

17 hours ago, bassfan said:

There’s a few posts about it. I loved my RH750. Was a great amp, it was plenty powerful and versatile enough for me, might not be right for some. Like everyone else I fancied a change.... I have to say I really like the B/Amp @Dood fault!! 😂 

I'm due to "up the anti" with review videos soon, so I can only apologise to those who are once again struck down with GAS!! Yes, I have set up my own home studio!!! 

On the subject of the @Bergantino Audio B|Amp - Its is just a superb amplifier - it continues to be my favourite allrounder - and, given there's a new "Tube Tone" firmware update coming out very soon, meticulously modelled on a well known classic valve amplifier, the thing just keeps getting better and better. I love that it can easily copy those solid state "hifi" heads of the 80's. I love that it makes for an amazing FRFR amplifier. It has a great "studio channel" functionality - and finally, the drive and dynamics effects on board do a lovely valve amp sound!  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Yes but that's just a small place and I bet you did have PA support. :)

I did indeed, and my 212 on stage, but for some the size of a large Jiffy bag it still did alright. It never let me down for the volumes I was playing in pubs/clubs 👍🏻

41 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Actually they both have the same output power when tested.

I had the TC Staccato, which I sold to get the RH750, which was a significantly louder amp. I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but they don't add up to the SPL that comes out of the front of the cabs.

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I had the TC Staccato, which I sold to get the RH750, which was a significantly louder amp. I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but they don't add up to the SPL that comes out of the front of the cabs.

The now defunct Bass Gear magazine tested them both and these were the results. Over here this subject ran rampant for quite a while.

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

The now defunct Bass Gear magazine tested them both and these were the results. Over here this subject ran rampant for quite a while.

I saw it. A lot of indignant huffing and puffing based on very little personal experience. Mob mentality ruled. The RH750 has a 236 watt power section that (after going through their boosting process) sounds as loud as any other 750 watt amp, so rating an RH750 as a 236 watt amp is nonsense.

That is the crux. if an amp is as loud as anyone else's 750 watt amp then its fair to rate it as 750 watts. As I understand, TC were wrong to initially label it as 750 watts RMS, which obviously it isn't. What is under the covers is a point that only seems to interest people who haven't owned a TC amp. The SPL that comes out the front of the cab is what matters and where the comparisons should be made.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

And I sincerely hope it never does!  :)

Ironically after using TC gear for years. The sudden surge of GAS and lack of will power meant I sold it last month and bought a bergantino B/Amp. It’s just brilliant. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Ironically after using TC gear for years. The sudden surge of GAS and lack of will power meant I sold it last month and bought a bergantino B/Amp. It’s just brilliant. 😃

I see it has a 'prog' button on the front. Does that just alter your timing? :D

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I see it has a 'prog' button on the front. Does that just alter your timing? :D

Yeah.... it learns what speed the drummer is fluctuating between and allows you to keep up. 😂 

* disclaimer. My drummer is very good at keeping time and not speeding up or slowing down. 😃

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Yeah.... it learns what speed the drummer is fluctuating between and allows you to keep up. 😂 

* disclaimer. My drummer is very good at keeping time and not speeding up or slowing down. 😃

I thought it let you plug your guitarist into the tuner so that he played the right chords?

• Haha 1

On 15/04/2020 at 14:57, BassmanPaul said:

Say what? BGM was still very much alive as of last week, what happened?

I'd choose the Ashdown RM500. My last gigs were ampless with IEMs, and I use a Tone Hammer pedal. However, I have used the Tone Hammer heads and to me, they always give me the impression that they were going to break easily. I must admit that my band is very loud and even the Tone Hammer 350 managed perfectly, but I don't why, I cannot trust them entirely. 

When I gig with my RM, I don't use the Aggie. And I always receive compliments about the sound. I love the RM and I have never tried any other head that I really love. But If I had to choose another one, I'd go with Aguilar TH. 

Another brand that I have used regularly is Markbass LM. But I don't really like them unless I use the Tone Hammer preamp.

Kind of Off topic: One of the things that I don't fully undertand is the EQ of the RM. I really like it on the TH. Bass at 40Hz and treble at 3.5 kHz. But the Ashdown is Bass at 100Hz and Treble at 7kHz. The EQ on the Ashdown I think it's a little bit too high. However, I used the head with my computer as a preamp and I really liked the sound I got. And I liked the Bass at 100Hz. But I think I miss a lower value. Like In my head 100Hz is already in the Low mids... But in my ears was fine 

When I got back in to playing bass I started with a Ashdown EB, and then moved to a MAG307. When I out grew that I went with MB, for a good few years. It took me a bit of adjusting because the low is set much lower than on the Ashdown’s. It was that 100hz that I missed. 

• Like 1

Best one I had was the Ashdown mibass 2.0 solid as a rock and sounded great.

Had a few class d since then but found them unreliable so went for the Abm600 which has been killing it.

Granted I haven't had any real top end class D stuff.

Markbass little ninja

Orange tiny terror v1

GK mb800

Some other I can't recall, I just kept blowing them up.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a mibass 2, it was without doubt one of the worst amps I have had. Hated the thing, completely useless.

Maybe mine was defective or something.

Er hmmm...I think you must be on the wrong thread? All that being a rock god is clearly resulting in confusion.