Why become a member? ×

PJB Big head rechargeable battery

jazzyvee

I have had one of these for a few years now and the rechargeable battery will only provide about 20 - 30 minutes of playing time from a full charge.

I have contacted the UK Distributor for PJB by email and phone and not had any response back from them. I haven't take the unit to bits yet to see what type of battery it uses. But has anyone else had the problem and can advise me on what replacement battery to use. 

A quick look at the PDF manual suggests that it's not replaceable, a bit like those in modern laptops and tablets. I imagine it may be possible to swap the battery for a new one if you send the BigHead in for a service, but they don't seem to want the user to do it themselves.

If the shop you bought it from doesn't get back to you, try another distributor, such as GAK, Bass Direct or indeed Thomann, and ask whether any spares for the battery exist. They should be happy to answer a general enquiry like that.

Open it up. It's out of warranty. Chances are it's a readily available LiPo or something along that lines. Post some pics up with some identifying marks. Who knows, you may even be able to replace it with a greater capacity now that battery tech has moved on/got cheaper.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Open it up. It's out of warranty. Chances are it's a readily available LiPo or something along that lines. Post some pics up with some identifying marks. Who knows, you may even be able to replace it with a greater capacity now that battery tech has moved on/got cheaper.

🔨⚒🛠⛏👍🏻

Not found anything on line yet. I called distributor but not heard back from them. Fortunately it still works via usb power and an external battery pack but not so convenient.

A38D1608-D218-41A8-94A5-2B0AC8F45D36.jpeg

6FD39FE8-A76D-467F-B111-916D4314766D.jpeg

Edited by jazzyvee

A bag type Li-Ion battery. Evilbay or Mouser may have something similar in their storage. Remember that size matters (LxWxH), because you have to fit it in there. Thickness is important, as the battery gets slightly bigger when charged.

If there is space, you can put even bigger cell instead of this one.

By the way, how many times have you charged this old one? Over 500 times?

A secondary battery (i.e. rechargeable) lifetime is around 500 - 1000 charging cycles depending on the usage and chemistry. Then it has lost around 20 % of its capacity. Active usage may result even greater loss in performance.

I would change the current one now and write the replacement date to the battery. A visible reminder.