Why become a member? ×

Bass or Guitar?

AMD8806

9 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Do both

I meant at the same time.

I saw Charley Hunter supporting Snarky Puppy.  He plays an eight string multi-scale guitar that  he uses to play both Bass and Guitar parts on at the same time.   

Nothing wrong with playing guitar & bass. If you only have enough practice time for one, then go with the one that calls you. I can play guitar but I always prefer playing bass. I wouldn’t know this if I hadn’t learned guitar.

Good luck.

Not either/or. Bass was my first instrument and is still the only thing I'm remotely proficient on, but I started messing around with guitar after a couple of years of just bass. Understanding the instrument definitely made me a better bass player, and made my lines more varied and (imo) creative.

Never wanted to be "a guitarist", and I'm absolutely not good enough to get on stage with one - but it's 99% of what I play when composing, and I'm good enough (with enough takes!) to get down what I hear in my head when recording demos.

I'm developing a substantial piece of music at the moment, so far entirely using guitar, and have probably played bass for about 15 minutes in total this year! Lots of bass ideas in my head, though.

• Like 2

As everyone else says do both.

If you've never played skinny string guitar before it'll take a while* to get the hang of chords, but the dexterity in your fretting hand should give you a bit of a head start.

*when I say a 'while' I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and every now and then I still come across a chord shape I've never seen before.

Edited by Cato

You can probably get a Harley Benton skinny stringer plus a Zoom G1-4 multi effects unit, all brand new for around £200, maybe £150 depending on the guitar.

You can either run them through headphones or even through your bass amp and it'll sound decent enough while you decide if you want to take it further.

Edited by Cato

Another vote for both, but don’t stop there. Every instrument you learn will give you a better understanding of music as a whole and improve your bass playing too.

I play guitar and drums as well as bass and have gigged on all. I’m starting to learn piano. Why restrict yourself? Spread your wings, fella. 

• Like 1