Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

Spoiler alert - it's going to get painful enclosing every reply in a spoiler box, so from here can we say all clear to talk about the set now that we're a couple of days in?

I'll start in the next comment so you've got time to avert your eyes if needed.

I've been watching various video clips and live streams thank to the phone wielding audience in the Utilita Arena. The set is 95% non-surpise. There's an acoustic section mid-set, which features my favourite bit so far - a low-profile Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. The other area of interest was the segue from Fading Lights to The Cinema Show. I was hoping this was going to take place via a subtle and intriguing Banksian key change and modulation (especially given that a lot seems to be transposed down), but no, it's a massively abrupt and jarring cut and shut job between the two. Maybe that's what they were aiming for.

Otherwise - reviews seem to hover around "not as bad as expected", Phil's voice is better but still not match fit if you ask me.

There's a facebook group "Genesis the last domino? Tour 2021" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2481184305530729) which features the videos and live streams mentioned above.

35 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The setlist is as lazy as hell - disappointed about that. But, I’ll still enjoy it in when it comes to Newcastle.

Hope you do! It looks like an awesome light show.

Songs I never knew used both halves of double-neck, plus bass pedals: Duchess.

Meanwhile, Steve Hackett at the Palladium last night was excellent.

(obligatory name dropping section: had a chat with John Etheridge and Theo Travis of Soft Machine in the interval, and also singer Alan Reed pre-gig. On the way back the station afterwards, discreet nod to Dave Swift who was crossing the road at the same time as me head to Charing Cross)

• Like 2

On 22/09/2021 at 10:12, wateroftyne said:

The setlist is as lazy as hell - disappointed about that. But, I’ll still enjoy it in when it comes to Newcastle.

I went to Manchester last night and loved it. It was incredibly moving; I wept at several points. The band have meant so, so much to me over the years. It was so sad to see Phil like that; he has always been one of my musical heroes, having first come to Genesis via And Then There Were Three. However he did his best with the singing given the circumstances and was very, very funny. He was like a Prog-pop Yoda! 

Unfortunately there was a delay at the start due to one of the generators failing, so they had to drop a couple of the older tunes due to timing issues which was disappointing, but I couldn’t fault the show, I thought it was fantastic. What was really nice was seeing the absolute love for the band - and Phil in particular, given his current circumstances - from the audience. Also, the amount of younger people singing and dancing along with even the oldest material and knowing all the words.

It was doubly poignant for me given it’s a year this month since I lost my dad, who paid well over the odds to get me a ticket to see them locally in 1980 after the gig had sold out, because he knew they were my favourite band. And seeing the band in their autumn years, with my dad now gone, when that 1980 gig still seems like yesterday……😢

• Like 8

Was a great show - Nick Collins absolutely brilliant.

Phil missed a couple of cues and in “That’s all” Went for a chorus when there was another verse.

But overall - did really well. He’s obviously up against it (against all odds jokes aside…)

Anyhow, if I’d paid £320 I would’ve been a bit underwhelmed, but as my tickets didn’t cost me anything I’m glad to have gone.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, 4000 said:

It was so sad to see Phil like that; he has always been one of my musical heroes, having first come to Genesis via And Then There Were Three. However he did his best with the singing given the circumstances and was very, very funny. He was like a Prog-pop Yoda! 

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Phil missed a couple of cues and in “That’s all” Went for a chorus when there was another verse.

But overall - did really well. He’s obviously up against it (against all odds jokes aside…)

Sadly, on social media that does seems to be the general opinion, "Considering Phil's problems, he did very well!"

I've always been of the opinion that if an artist or band in their 70s or 80s wants to tour, then that's absolutely fine. There's no hiding a band's age from the ticket buying punter. We kind of know what we are, and what we aren't going to get. Pete Townshend is not going to be doing his leaps and spins from his 20s and 30s. Jagger is not going to be leaping from the drum riser.

However, I've always assumed that all these ageing musicians (of which I'm one) do everything in their power to get their chops up to scratch, to be match fit, in order to deliver the best (age related) show possible.

As I said earlier in an earlier comment, I found Phil's comments... "I don’t do anything at all. I don’t practise singing at home, not at all. Rehearsing is the practice. These guys (Tony & Mike) are always having a go at me for not, but I have to do it this way."  quite disappointing, and not very respectful towards the ticket buying fans.

But, of course, the bottom line is - everyone had a great time, so what's the problem(?)

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

However, I've always assumed that all these ageing musicians (of which I'm one) do everything in their power to get their chops up to scratch, to be match fit, in order to deliver the best (age related) show possible.

As I said earlier in an earlier comment, I found Phil's comments... "I don’t do anything at all. I don’t practise singing at home, not at all. Rehearsing is the practice. These guys (Tony & Mike) are always having a go at me for not, but I have to do it this way."  quite disappointing, and not very respectful towards the ticket buying fans.

Maybe he's calculated that he's only got enough strength for rehearsals and performances, and that if he had done more preparation he would have given a worse overall performance, or simply not been able to complete the tour? Does becoming a feckless chancer sound in character for him? Seeing the boot being shoved into an old and unfirm man on the grounds of a couple of quotes is uncomfortable reading. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

Sadly, on social media that does seems to be the general opinion, "Considering Phil's problems, he did very well!"

I've always been of the opinion that if an artist or band in their 70s or 80s wants to tour, then that's absolutely fine. There's no hiding a band's age from the ticket buying punter. We kind of know what we are, and what we aren't going to get. Pete Townshend is not going to be doing his leaps and spins from his 20s and 30s. Jagger is not going to be leaping from the drum riser.

But, of course, the bottom line is - everyone had a great time, so what's the problem(?)

Well the room certainly was supportive. There were loads people shouting out “I/we love you Phil” all the way through. 

He also said “I have to do it this way”. Given his physical issues (and simply watching him) it’s obviously difficult for him to sing. Spinal problems affecting your singing, as I know all too well. They affect your breathing, full stop. Anyone who couldn’t give him a pass shouldn’t have bothered going IMO. 

I didn’t hear a single negative comment about Phil, even in the crowd on the way home, and it’s something I was concerned about. I heard comments about the set list, all sorts of stuff, but nothing negative about Phil. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Maybe he's calculated that he's only got enough strength for rehearsals and performances, and that if he had done more preparation he would have given a worse overall performance, or simply not been able to complete the tour? Does becoming a feckless chancer sound in character for him? Seeing the boot being shoved into an old and unfirm man on the grounds of a couple of quotes is uncomfortable reading. 

This. He’s known for being the ultimate professional, the “workaholic’s workaholic”. I’m sure if he could have he would have. Sometimes, as I know all too well (and he’s in way, way worse condition than me) you simply can’t. 

Newcastle last night - absolutely amazing.

To be fair, I'd been following reports of the previous dates so I was prepared for Phil's voice. And I knew what the setlist was going to be, so I'd got over the disappointment of that.

It turns out Phil's voice was - whilst still a shadow of its former self - far, far stronger than it was even a couple of shows ago. I was pleasantly surprised. There was only one song he had a sustained battle with, but it's not really one they can drop.

He's relaxed and clearly enjoying himself, as are the band (presumably even Tony, but you'd never know). Nic Collins is dynamite.

We had crap seats but the sound was amazing, especially for a Quality Street tin box like the Arena. The production was incredible (although we didn't get the full lighting setup last night - not enough room).

If you're a fan, but you're not going because you want to remember them how they were... I strongly urge you to reconsider.

The last domino? I actually have a feeling it might not be.

APC_0689.thumb.jpg.9c3b79e8462797f3ad53c3965f3c6cf5.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Newcastle last night - absolutely amazing.

To be fair, I'd been following reports of the previous dates so I was prepared for Phil's voice. And I knew what the setlist was going to be, so I'd got over the disappointment of that.

It turns out Phil's voice was - whilst still a shadow of its former self - far, far stronger than it was even a couple of shows ago. I was pleasantly surprised. There was only one song he had a sustained battle with, but it's not really one they can drop.

He's relaxed and clearly enjoying himself, as are the band (presumably even Tony, but you'd never know). Nic Collins is dynamite.

We had crap seats but the sound was amazing, especially for a Quality Street tin box like the Arena. The production was incredible (although we didn't get the full lighting setup last night - not enough room).

If you're a fan, but you're not going because you want to remember them how they were... I strongly urge you to reconsider.

The last domino? I actually have a feeling it might not be.

APC_0689.thumb.jpg.9c3b79e8462797f3ad53c3965f3c6cf5.jpg

Really glad to hear you enjoyed them too. 

Did you get LE and the excerpt from The MB, as per the programme set list? We didn’t, but I assumed that was due to the timing issues caused by the failed generator.