Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

Just finished watching the PBS Special. I'm not sure there were too many spoilers in terms of song choices as it's pretty much what I expected it to be. I think I'm less nervous about it now having watched that.

It did occur to me after hearing the comment that Nik can sound very much like Phil on drums. Surely the the better description would be that he has to sound like Chester given that is the role he has taken over?

I was a little disappointed that there were no mentions or clips of Chester in the special.

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just finished watching the PBS Special. I'm not sure there were too many spoilers in terms of song choices as it's pretty much what I expected it to be. 

I was a little disappointed that there were no mentions or clips of Chester in the special.

There’s a couple of tunes in there that surprised me (pleasantly). And a few that didn’t (unfortunately :-))

Nic mentions Chester at one point (‘Big shoes to fill..’).

I've just watched the special ( thanks for posting it!) and thought it was very interesting.

I think it's unfair to dismiss it because the vocals are a bit ropey at the beginning.

Phil himself realises it and works on it.

By the time it got to the full production rehearsals his voice was pretty much there (much like a lot of the live stuff I've seen before), and there's no reason to think that it won't get even better by the time the gigs come along.

Obviously some of the "energy" will be missing because he won't be running around the stage, but  at least that means he won't get out of breath due to  exertion!

IMHO   obvs 😉 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I've just watched the special ( thanks for posting it!) and thought it was very interesting.

I think it's unfair to dismiss it because the vocals are a bit ropey at the beginning.

Phil himself realises it and works on it.

By the time it got to the full production rehearsals his voice was pretty much there (much like a lot of the live stuff I've seen before), and there's no reason to think that it won't get even better by the time the gigs come along.

Obviously some of the "energy" will be missing because he won't be running around the stage, but  at least that means he won't get out of breath due to  exertion!

IMHO   obvs 😉 

I wish I shared your optimism - at least I won’t be disappointed whatever happens 😄

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

While I agree that his voice comes along quite a lot in production, I wouldn't say "pretty much there", but certainly not too bad, we aren't talking Vince Neil levels of bad or anything. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good he got it, considering where it started from and his pitch was pretty good.

Definitely bittersweet for someone whose first gig as a teenager (and one of my most treasured musical memories) was Genesis at Earls Court in 1977. The instrumental medley on the documentary was excellent (won't mention track names in case it spoils) and I hope Phil's voice is back to (nearer) his former heights for those of you attending the gigs. Looks clear to me that he was a bit broken by personal circumstances during the documentary and hopefully the tour and working through those issues mean he is on the mend in more ways than one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Definitely bittersweet for someone whose first gig as a teenager (and one of my most treasured musical memories) was Genesis at Earls Court in 1977. The instrumental medley on the documentary was excellent (won't mention track names in case it spoils) and I hope Phil's voice is back to (nearer) his former heights for those of you attending the gigs. Looks clear to me that he was a bit broken by personal circumstances during the documentary and hopefully the tour and working through those issues mean he is on the mend in more ways than one.

I don’t suppose you remember which night you went?

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

This made me look up the date I saw them live.

It was May1st 1975 apparently ... At the Birmingham hippodrome ( my memory told me it was The Odeon but hey ...I'm old).

It was The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour and it was remarkable!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Interesting to learn that Phil could  possibly play drums again if he put his mind to it and put the time and effort into it. I assumed that it was a physical impossibility.

i reckon at best we’ll see him behind a rack of toms, doing some token flabbadabbing.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Interesting to learn that Phil could  possibly play drums again if he put his mind to it and put the time and effort into it. I assumed that it was a physical impossibility.

Yeah but that was only Mike Rutherford's opinion.

As someone who suffers from an "invisible"  ailment , I can assure you that "friends"  often have opinions on how one can handle ones illness!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Yeah but that was only Mike Rutherford's opinion.

As someone who suffers from an "invisible"  ailment , I can assure you that "friends"  often have opinions on how one can handle ones illness!

I found it an uncomfortable watch.

It was like Phil had happily said "that's it" but Mike and Tony had been peer pressuring him into doing it.  Smacked of a bit of selfishness to me. 

Phil reminded me of the feeling when you suddenly realise your super strong dad you've looked up to all your life suddenly go from "a bit older" to "frail".  You don't love them any less or anything, but it is uncomfortable to see.

I thought his son seemed to be a good solid drummer, so good on him.  I just hope Phil can get through the tours.

• Like 1

It was interesting to hear Mike talk so candidly, and quite brave of them to include it in the edit.

20 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I found it an uncomfortable watch.

It was like Phil had happily said "that's it" but Mike and Tony had been peer pressuring him into doing it.  Smacked of a bit of selfishness to me. 

I just hope Phil can get through the tours.

I agree with all of this, but I would say Phil strikes me as the kind of person that wouldn’t do it unless he had to. I reckon he might need the cash.

• Like 2

Is it me or does anyone else think that flashing up tabloid headlines in the documentary about Phil Collins' ex-wife marrying (their words) a "toy boy", demanding £15m and refusing to leave their Miami home was rather unkind and out of context (private lives are just that, private)? Surprised Genesis (and in particular PC) agreed to that

11 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Is it me or does anyone else think that flashing up tabloid headlines in the documentary about Phil Collins' ex-wife marrying (their words) a "toy boy", demanding £15m and refusing to leave their Miami home was rather unkind and out of context (private lives are just that, private)? Surprised Genesis (and in particular PC) agreed to that

If I was a betting man, I'd say Phil agreed to it 'cos it's a dig at Orianne.

• Like 1