Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

I have absolutely no issues with him not drumming or sitting in a chair front of stage, what I do have an issue with is the vocal quality.

Some of the older performers just do not know when to give up/retire, it’s sad to see them performing as a shadow of their former selves, this is a reason why a lot of the high end tribute bands do so well, it’s like listening to the performance as it used to be.

There is one particular vocalist who is seventy and I have no hesitation in purchasing tickets for his tours, as I know his vocals are totally on point, that’s Paul Rodgers.

• Like 1

The problem with musicians is... that's all they know how to do. While some are happy to quietly disappear (Bill Bruford), some crack on despite not being able to sing (Geddy, McCartney).

It must be hard to walk away from your identity, even if you have enough money to buy a small country.

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

You don’t need to be able to walk to express emotion in your face or voice. He looks like he’s bored by himself. At least he and I agree on that. 

I'm not going to argue with you on that, but like I say... it ain't new.

Just now, wateroftyne said:

The problem with musicians is... that's all they know how to do. While some are happy to quietly disappear (Bill Bruford), some crack on despite not being able to sing (Geddy, McCartney).

It must be hard to walk away from your identity, even if you have enough money to buy a small country.

Very true, but the reality of the business it’s that’s it just that, a business, they’re often charging more for tickets now than at any point in thief careers. I don’t blame him, I’m simply not impressed by his performance.

I suspect financial rather than emotional motivation is more salient also 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Very true, but the reality of the business it’s that’s it just that, a business, they’re often charging more for tickets now than at any point in thief careers. I don’t blame him, I’m simply not impressed by his performance.

I suspect financial rather than emotional motivation is more salient also 

Very likely. Does  Phil Collins still pay Alimony?

Edited by JottoSW1
Punctuation

Watching that video sort of says enough for me. Unlike what was trendy, I never disliked Phil Collins, he was an excellent drummer and sang on what are some of my favourite songs. But that was a long time ago. As the gigs are bound to be stupidly expensive, I wouldn't have been going anyway but even if they hadn't been, him being like that would be a waste of time and money.

Good luck to him and all, hope they get his issues solved

38 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Just watched that clip of Phil. Not good. This tour will be a joke. 

That depends though. He’d had a lot of health problems fairly recent to that tour as I understand it. He may have got a bit better since then. There’s also a chance he may have spent the tour bombed out on pain meds. I have some idea of what that can be like. 

I tend to struggle with the idea of musicians telling other musicians when they should retire. The general public can vote with their feet, and nobody is forcing anyone to go to shows. But what happens when it’s your turn? My dad, who has been a jazz musician most of his life, retired from playing a couple of years ago because he felt he couldn’t cut it anymore, and his health has absolutely plummeted since. Because really, he’s nothing left to live for. It was everything to him. The same happened to his friend a few years before. He gave up playing, then gave up living, took to his bed and died. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I tend to struggle with the idea of musicians telling other musicians when they should retire. The general public can vote with their feet, and nobody is forcing anyone to go to shows. But what happens when it’s your turn? My dad, who has been a jazz musician most of his life, retired from playing a couple of years ago because he felt he couldn’t cut it anymore, and his health has absolutely plummeted since. Because really, he’s nothing left to live for. It was everything to him. The same happened to his friend a few years before. He gave up playing, then gave up living, took to his bed and died. 

I have seen that. I dont' think I would ever stop playing 'something', I would certainly stop performing for other people, but then tbh, that was never really the big drive anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have seen that. I dont' think I would ever stop playing 'something', I would certainly stop performing for other people, but then tbh, that was never really the big drive anyway. 

Don’t get me wrong, playing live has never been the driver for me either, thankfully writing has always been the most important thing to me. But for many it is. For many musicians I know playing live is everything. And imagine when that’s pretty much all you’ve ever done, playing at the level someone like Phil or McCartney has.

I will never forget Genesis at Earls Court in June '77 when I was just 13. Utterly blew me away and still, after hundreds of gigs, one of my top 3 ever. Phil was a ball of energy and sung (and played drums) phenomenally well. Great balance between Gabriel era (my fave) and early PC era (TOTT, W&W). Unfortunately I subsequently hated everything post And Then There Were Three.  For those reasons, I very much doubt I will be attending this tour.

2 hours ago, steantval said:

I have absolutely no issues with him not drumming or sitting in a chair front of stage, what I do have an issue with is the vocal quality.

Some of the older performers just do not know when to give up/retire, it’s sad to see them performing as a shadow of their former selves, this is a reason why a lot of the high end tribute bands do so well, it’s like listening to the performance as it used to be.

There is one particular vocalist who is seventy and I have no hesitation in purchasing tickets for his tours, as I know his vocals are totally on point, that’s Paul Rodgers.

I can see what you mean, but people go, and the majority probably really enjoy it.

6 hours ago, ambient said:

I can see what you mean, but people go, and the majority probably really enjoy it.

If it makes you feel good, you should absolutely do it. It’s why people watch films they’ve seen 100 times, watch the same sports team they watched as a kid despite the fact it is now rubbish and in the minor league, go to the same place in holiday each year trying to recreate the magical summer of ‘88 etc. Sentiment is powerful :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

IMO, Genesis are about songs as much as performance. Provided Phil can pretty much navigate his way around the melodies, that’ll be good enough for me.

Agreed, Although I’d like the band to be a little less sterile also

• Like 2

One of the nicest guys in the business. IMHO. So he's had a few probs over the years. He's still battling his health issues so i'm happy to give him a break.

He's given me so much enjoyment over the years i feel i owe him that even as a mark of respect.

Seconds Out was my fav era of Genesis and for me they were at their peak for that tour. Phil's first couple of solo albums started off with so much power and energy they will always be part of my fav albums. I only saw them on the Duke tour and thought Phil stole the show. Great singer, great drummer and a sense of humour on stage and great to watch.  

If ticket prices are reasonable i'll probably go again. I'll always have the image of Phil from late 70's / early 80's era.

Dave

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just listening to Phil now and his voice sounds terrible just speaking normally. Doesn’t bode well.

It does. Mind, he's just apologised for it and said he's been ill.

It sounds like they've at least had a dip-a-toe-in-the-water rehearsal, which is heartening.