Why become a member? ×

Genesis - The Last Domino? tour

wateroftyne

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Is that the O2?

Yes, but I see you have seen it is the same up there.

TBF, that is the sort of prices things go for now, which is why I doubt I will be seeing anything at the o2 again. and honestly I am ok with that. I saw NiN twice in the same year, once at the O2 and once at Scala, where I was at the front. O2 was twice the price of Scala, Scala was 5 times the enjoyment of the O2.

I think any gigs for me now have to be within the range of being able to see them well, and I have poor eyesight.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

I never liked the PG era Genesis at all. Which is strange because I love Gabriel’s solo work.

Not that strange, it is the same with me. The best thing that happened to both Peter Gabriel and Genesis was when he went solo, they both got better because of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

If that's what ticket prices are like then i'll be giving it a miss too. Pretty sure they will sell out no matter what the price.

Some artists have lost touch with reality of everyday life and the fact that it was the younger and poorer fans that made them so popular back in their heyday.

Kinda disgusts me when i see this.

Dave

I reckon that's probably the going rate for a big arena show these days.

Where it's changed from when I was a kid  growing up in the Midlands is that there used to be two types of tickets for your average NEC Arena show.

Standing and seated. Standing would be £5-10 cheaper than seated, but every seated ticket, no matter whether at the front or the back would cost the same.

These days tickets seem to be price graded depending whereabouts in the arena they are, and some chunks of prime seating only seem to be available as part of some sort of 'VIP package' (whatever that means) which is where the really daft top tier prices comes from.

Mind you, I've not been to an arena gig in over ten years, not since a friend dragged me along to see Franz Ferdinand and I realised how much I prefer smaller venues.

Edited by Cato

18 minutes ago, Cato said:

Where it's changed from when I was a kid  growing up in the Midlands is that there used to be two types of tickets for your average NEC Arena show.

Standing and seated. Standing would be £5-10 cheaper than seated, but every seated ticket, no matter whether at the front or the back would cost the same.

These days tickets seem to be price graded depending whereabouts in the arena they are, and some chunks of prime seating only seem to be available as part of some sort of 'VIP package' (whatever that means) which is where the really daft top tier prices comes from.

Mind you, I've not been to an arena gig in over ten years, not since a friend dragged me along to see Franz Ferdinand and I realised how much I prefer smaller venues.

Snarky puppy were charging similar for Ronnie Scott’s recently.

35 minutes ago, Cato said:

It's like First class tickets on a train, you don't get a better seat, but you get to sit among other people, who have also paid stupid money to sit near you.

I'm an advocate of Groucho Marx on this one, never pay to be the member of a club that would have me as a member

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Cato said:

Its been a few yrs since i was last at a large concert venue. Probably Rush Time Machine or Clockwork Angels Tour in Glasgow and had a seat directly behind sound desk and don't recall it being hugely expensive at the time. I had £35 in my head but that may have been the previous tour. I do remember them asking a ridiculous price the one 2 yrs after and tickets started at £65 i think same venue and i passed on that

To be fair Rush do put on a good show and will play for approx 2-3hrs

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its been a few yrs since i was last at a large concert venue. Probably Rush Time Machine or Clockwork Angels Tour in Glasgow and had a seat directly behind sound desk and don't recall it being hugely expensive at the time

The last tour rush did they were playing on my birthday, so we looked but it was £70-80 to sit at the back of the O2. They might have been one of my alltime favourite groups, but they were not at their prime and there is no-one I would pay that for.

8 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Promoters charge what they think they can get out of you, not what the act is worth. I'd guess most Genesis 'fans' can afford it. 

Personally i can but i won't. Few hundred quid for 2 decent seated tickets to see a band is too much and i grudge it nowadays. 

For those on low incomes i'm guessing it could be out of their range too.

I am a Genesis fan from a past era but not enough of a fan to pay that. I've seen them before in 82 and loved it but i would rather go see a decent tribute at a smaller more intimate venue these days.  

I guess if you are a true Genesis fan you'll find the money to pay it.

Dave

21 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Promoters charge what they think they can get out of you, not what the act is worth

I get your point, but what they think they can get out of you and what the act is worth are technically the same thing I think?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

One of the nicest guys in the business. IMHO. So he's had a few probs over the years. He's still battling his health issues so i'm happy to give him a break.

He's given me so much enjoyment over the years i feel i owe him that even as a mark of respect.

Seconds Out was my fav era of Genesis and for me they were at their peak for that tour. Phil's first couple of solo albums started off with so much power and energy they will always be part of my fav albums. I only saw them on the Duke tour and thought Phil stole the show. Great singer, great drummer and a sense of humour on stage and great to watch.  

If ticket prices are reasonable i'll probably go again. I'll always have the image of Phil from late 70's / early 80's era.

Dave

This is pretty much how I feel too. And it amy be that we never get to see them again; before today, only one of my favourite bands (F Mac) was still in existence, and then only barely. 

I hadn't realised the tickets came out today and my mate has bought us 2; he told me afterwards they were £183 each! Ouch and double ouch. But still, as I learned after missing Kate Bush last time, money comes and goes, but the experience stays with you. Or would have, in her case! I'm keeping my expectations very low, but it will be nice to see them again, if only to say a kind of goodbye to some of the songwriters and musicians that have influenced me most and have given me such wonderful moments in my life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I'm keeping my expectations very low, but it will be nice to see them again, if only to say a kind of goodbye to some of the songwriters and musicians that have influenced me most and have given me such wonderful moments in my life. 

Nicely put

• Like 1

O2 presale for Leeds First Direct; cheapest tickets £136 and some of those are nosebleeds.

Saw Fleetwood Mac there a few years ago. Fifteen rows back, opposite Mick Fleetwood’s drum riser, £125. 

Will wait for Musical Box next February. 

Edited by skb558
  • Like 1