Why become a member? ×

Very, very small isolated PSU needed.

dave_bass5

On 15/03/2020 at 11:31, Al Krow said:

Where's this PSU been all my life?!

Slots comfortably below a "flat" pedal board.

Delivers 1.9A vs my Trutone 1Spot CS6 1.6A vs former Ciocks DC5 0.9A. I mention those two 'cos they are two very good PSUs which can also work well under a flat board.

It provides two 500mA outputs with variable 9V/12V/18V which are the most common alternatives

AND costs much less than either the 1Spot or Ciocks!

PB - 2003mini II.jpg

Struggling to find these anywhere other than Thomann. Strange that they don't appear to be more widely available?

37 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It does look rather neat though doesn’t it. Quite tempted to get one myself. 

Seriously, they are very good e.g. twice the power of the market leading Ciocks DC5 for less than half the price, and even smaller.

What's not completely clear from the pic is that if you want to use the long ends of the PSU leads i.e. the middle three in my pic above, you need to angle the HB Iso5 just a tad. Easily done with a bit of felt pad or similar, and frankly it angles / rests fine on the long ends anyway.

Not an issue if you're happy using the short J ends (the end two in my pic) - but most of the time you'll want that for the pedal board above it, which in my case looks like this - and all powered by the HB Iso5 with a polarity reverse for the Smoothhound:

PB - 2003mini I.jpg

PS the board itself is also a Harley Benton Thomann own brand - the HB 50M. Ideal for having the B1X-4 on it as it's just that little bit deeper at 17cm than the PT Nano+ or Nano

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Bugger, i can see a new board build on the horizon. 

Well must admit - it's given a new lease of life to my multifx having them as the centre piece of my two boards.

Loving having the the Zoom paired with the Boss LS2 which allows me to parallel clean blend - something you can do internally on a Helix but not on the Zoom. The clean blend adds tonal authenticity and preserves low end and although cleverer folk than me have mentioned the risk of "comb filtering" when you put a digital pedal in a parallel loop as I have done with Zoom in the LS2's loop, it's not been at all noticeable in the fx patches I have got set up. And I can by-pass the Zoom altogether should I want,  with the LS2, thereby further eliminating a layer of pedal noise (not that the board is noisy at all given the isolated PSU from the Iso5).

Having the Smoothhound for wireless and Mosaic for octave up (which the Zoom, bless it, is pants at) gives me access to pretty much all the fx I'm going to be using live (other than perhaps a decent synth - but hey this is supposed to be a 'budget board'!)

Might be compact but it's definitely brought a smile to my face :)

Edited by Al Krow

Its always fun making these up. Expensive sometimes, but fun. Good to see the Zoom being used. Not touched mine since getting the Stomp, although i do plan on getting it out soon for the drum machine. Guess we all have a bit more time on our hands at the moment. 

I’m quite intrigued by that new MXR Thump pedal. If i get that ill need a small board like yours. 

25 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Its always fun making these up. Expensive sometimes, but fun. Good to see the Zoom being used. Not touched mine since getting the Stomp, although i do plan on getting it out soon for the drum machine. Guess we all have a bit more time on our hands at the moment. 

I’m quite intrigued by that new MXR Thump pedal. If i get that ill need a small board like yours. 

You can put your Becos on at the same time. What else will it have on it? 

Mind you if you end up with a P7 bass, you won't be needing the MXR thump, you'll have all that tone shaping available on your bass. 

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You can put your Becos on at the same time. What else will it have on it? 

Mind you if you end up with a P7 bass, you won't be needing the MXR thump, you'll have all that tone shaping available on your bass. 

Yes, its because i want to continue using the Beco’s (sticking with the one i have) that I’m thinking about another board.

Im not sure what to expect with the Thump, but if i does what I’m hoping it will, I’d use that for a bit extra EQ and ‘magic’, and my PBDDI at the end for three types of dirt/OD (and more EQ) or Stomp. Won’t  need an active bass at all, but if i did end up with a P7 it would be purely a passive instrument for me. 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

With due respect to the Sire P7, it's not meant to be a passive bass IMHO. Stick with your excellent Yammy BBs if you just want passive. A P7 in passive mode is like a bike stuck in first gear. 

But its a cheap way to get a good passive sounding 5 string P bass. Having gigged my active Sire V7 for a couple of years, mostly in passive mode,  i have no issues doing the same with a P7 if i had one. I probably would use the preamp if needed, but wouldn’t use it much. 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Hi JW, you can get this on Amazon. Same product different label 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JNDWQRN/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_hJFCEbAAGH7N3

Thanks Stew - not quite identical to the HB Iso5 Pro, which I'm using, which has all its outputs on one side and greater flexibility on voltages but with fewer outputs overall. The one you have listed is, however, definitely a clone of the HB Iso1 Pro. 

However if that Ammoon hits the spot (and my instinct is that I would only be able to use one set of outputs if I had it under my board and I was fine with just 5 outputs overall which the Iso5 provides for my mini board) then there's an even cheaper one on eBay

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Stew - not quite identical to the HB Iso5 Pro, which I'm using, which has all its outputs on one side and greater flexibility on voltages but with fewer outputs overall. The one you have listed is, however, definitely a clone of the HB Iso1 Pro. 

However if that Ammoon hits the spot (and my instinct is that I would only be able to use one set of outputs if I had it under my board and I was fine with just 5 outputs overall which the Iso5 provides for my mini board) then there's an even cheaper one on eBay

Whoops! You are quite correct, I muddled my Harleys. Sorry