Why become a member? ×

Bad venue decorum

julietgreen

There are venues that know how to treat musos - provide free drinks, a place near power sockets, friendly reception, being expected etc. and then there are others. On Sunday I depped for a jazz band, doing their second gig in their new line-up. They had booked a slot at a local venue that were offering times for bands to play for free. Already it sounds wrong, right? But these guys were happy to do that to get one under the belt, as it were. Treat it like a live rehearsal. Put the stuff out before an audience before booking some paying gigs.  We were booked to play 3 - 5pm with the resident muso coming in at 5 - 7. When we arrived, we were immediately told that all the music had been cancelled for that afternoon. ALL of it. OK, so the band leader said, 'Well nobody informed the band.' So they played anyway. About half an hour into the set, the waitress informs us that there's a 4pm guillotine on the music. We play 2 numbers from the second set and finish. There is an audience. 'Is that all?' they ask. At which point we notice a whole load of other people hanging around - some musos we know. 2 other bands were booked to play at the same time. No free drinks either.

27 minutes ago, mikel said:

That all sounds like bad form to me, except the free drinks bit. Never been offered free drinks by a venue or promoter, and never expected them. No such thing as a free drink.

When we play the Cave in paisley i always get told to put my money away when i order 4 lemonades

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mikel said:

That all sounds like bad form to me, except the free drinks bit. Never been offered free drinks by a venue or promoter, and never expected them. No such thing as a free drink.

We've often been given free drinks, or at least the first drink free for the band. That's certainly been the case when we're not getting paid. It costs the venue so little but it pays off enormously in goodwill.

We get two free drinks each...it's part of the contract, even for pubs...but then we are a trio :0)  Actually, there's a couple of regular venues which don't adhere to this, but only a couple.

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Europe is the most hospitable place to gig in my experience. I rarely gig but U.K. venues have been less than, again in my experience. 

Quite agree, in Europe you get fed, watered, and offered accommodation. Usually the food is both snacks and a hot meal. In the UK at most venues you’re lucky to get a farkoff at the end of the evening.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

The Bell in Bicester and The Punch Bowl in Warwick offer free drinks, not many others I’ve played though!

Nice to know. We have a gig there in a couple months  :)

Actually, free drinks means a coke or an orange juice to most bands, since there's a drive home after the gig.

I suspect pub LL's know this, so offering free drinks isnt such a loss, but still its a nice gesture. They dont have to do this

Edited by fleabag
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Nice to know. We have a gig there in a couple months  :)

Actually, free drinks means a coke or an orange juice to most bands, since there's a drive home after the gig.

I suspect pub LL's know this, so offering free drinks isnt such a loss, but still its a nice gesture. They dont have to do this

Yes it’s a nice touch. Says a lot about the people running the venue in my experience. 

I once played at a club in Cardiff, we had no spare cash but were getting paid at the end of the gig. We asked if we could have a pint each (5 of us) on a tab to be deducted from the fee only to be flat out refused. So we drank water all night and took the whole fee home.

Clearly the guy hadn't worked out the economics of the situation!

• Like 2

A few of weeks ago we got free beers before the set, and after. The landlord was most upset I only wanted a half afterwards (driving) "The Worthington's virtually alcohol free anyway!"

In the 'green room'  for a 5-band gig my brother's band were playing at a month ago there were two huge trays of sarnies and free cans of beer and cider (but the bands were playing for nowt as it was a fund-raiser for a free festival).

🙂

Edited by Stub Mandrel

26 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I once played at a club in Cardiff, we had no spare cash but were getting paid at the end of the gig. We asked if we could have a pint each (5 of us) on a tab to be deducted from the fee only to be flat out refused. So we drank water all night and took the whole fee home.

Clearly the guy hadn't worked out the economics of the situation!

I once played a dep gig with a country band. They were being paid £150 for two 45 min sets. When the band had finished playing, two hours later, the band owed the bar £200.

They had to have a whip round to pay the manager the extra £50.

I'd had one coca cola.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, julietgreen said:

There are venues that know how to treat musos - provide free drinks, a place near power sockets, friendly reception, being expected etc. and then there are others. On Sunday I depped for a jazz band, doing their second gig in their new line-up. They had booked a slot at a local venue that were offering times for bands to play for free. Already it sounds wrong, right? But these guys were happy to do that to get one under the belt, as it were. Treat it like a live rehearsal. Put the stuff out before an audience before booking some paying gigs.  We were booked to play 3 - 5pm with the resident muso coming in at 5 - 7. When we arrived, we were immediately told that all the music had been cancelled for that afternoon. ALL of it. OK, so the band leader said, 'Well nobody informed the band.' So they played anyway. About half an hour into the set, the waitress informs us that there's a 4pm guillotine on the music. We play 2 numbers from the second set and finish. There is an audience. 'Is that all?' they ask. At which point we notice a whole load of other people hanging around - some musos we know. 2 other bands were booked to play at the same time. No free drinks either.

The acoustic division of Maple Road played The Harley Davidson Motor restaurant Saturday night from 5:30- 8:30.

We play there once every 2- 3 months. We have a good relationship with Harley and they book us for several large sumner events.

Great hours, great looking place, easy load in abd out. We play right in front of the bar which is also the route to the exit. Everyone has to walk by the band when they leave , so tips are fantastic . They have a very upscale crowd.

They send the band a check a few days prior to the gig. They comp drinks and right before the last set they take orders from the band for anything on the menu, also comped. I use to give you guys a hard time about comped food, but know I see the value to it.

And OMG! state of the art clean huge bathrooms.

Then we have those places that seem to go out of their way to make it difficult for bands 

Blue

FB_IMG_1583183859946.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, julietgreen said:

That is the problem with playing gigs for free - you have put a value on your services and that value is zero! If they had committed to pay a couple of hundred quid (or whatever the going rate is) then it is the venue's interest to make sure that they act professionally and keep you reasonably happy as they want to make their money back. If it's not costing them anything then why should they care? 

I'm not saying that you should never play for free, but it has offer something significant to make it worthwhile. For example, a support to a semi known band in a club where there will be a couple of hundred people there - you still may be treated badly, but at least it has put you in front of a suitable audience that may help your band to establish a following / sell merch, etc. 

As far as free drinks go, some places will give the band free sodas all night and many (but by no means all) landlords will buy you a beer at the end of the night. I would be more concerned about playing an unsuitable venue where they aren't bothered about having a band, but doing it anyway because it's not costing them anything. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gjones said:

I once played a dep gig with a country band. They were being paid £150 for two 45 min sets. When the band had finished playing, two hours later, the band owed the bar £200.

They had to have a whip round to pay the manager the extra £50.

I'd had one coca cola.

Were you playing at Bob's country bunker?

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, DanOwens said:

I don't expect free drinks, but when they're offered then great. The worst is when you have another gig at the same venue a few months later and the free beer has been stopped.... "how bad did I play!?!?!?!?"

I had this recently at a really nice pub with great (but expensive) beer. The last two times we were there we got free beer all night. Last time they just charged me. I'm far too british to ask why so I just paid up

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

I had this recently at a really nice pub with great (but expensive) beer. The last two times we were there we got free beer all night. Last time they just charged me. I'm far too british to ask why so I just paid up

Yeah, I simultaneously think "well that was nice whilst it lasted" and "where did your kindness go?"

• Like 1

We did a gig once in Stockport where there was some cat stinky poo on the stage.

The drummer accidentally put one of his stands in it and complained to the LL.

They didn't seem to be that bothered and didn't apologise so we packed up and left without playing.

• Haha 1