Why become a member? ×

Hungarian Double Bass £2050 SOLD!
£2250
Whitby, North Yorkshire

I reluctantly need to sell this and so it is up for sale at a much reduced price. Grab a bargain! PRICE DROP TO £2050!  NOW SOLD.

Three-quarter size double bass, with violin corners, attributed to an unknown early 21st Century maker. Solid hand-carved spruce top with attractive 'orange' flaming to the back and sides. German end-pin. Pirastro Evah Pirazzi orchestral strings.

Dimensions:

Length of body: 1150 mm (45.5 inches)

Upper bout: 522 mm, middle bout: 380 mm, lower bout: 700 mm, upper rib depth: 200 mm, lower rib depth: 225 mm.

String Length: 1048 mm (41.25 inches)

Available to try near Whitby in North Yorkshire. Coffee and biscuits will be provided. I also have a nice pernambuco bow for sale.DSC_0522.thumb.JPG.9772ed9036464d45801dd88ba5675294.JPGDSC_0523.thumb.JPG.5c9fb37353ec8f95fb87420705d4d53f.JPGDSC_0526.thumb.JPG.abcdfe52fb693b42e60d76b76e4d1c4d.JPGDSC_0530.thumb.JPG.75f85f12d1d9cc5a8b55db7bd107a992.JPGDSC_0533.thumb.JPG.8836f554ebb6c362b911d49c6796010c.JPG

Edited by SteveJ
Price drop
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect that due to the coronovirus crisis there is little prospect of selling an instrument of this quality for the time being. However, for those avidly browsing the forum, I would be interested in a part-ex for a quality jazz guitar ( Gibson ES 175 - Ibanez George Benson or similar). If you have such a thing and are looking for a class double bass, please get in contact.

Stay safe.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve,

I'd like to see and try this bass but it's a 5 hour journey from Surrey and current restrictions forbid an overnight stay.  I may work out something, otherwise I will have to wait until restrictions are lifted, although I'm looking at more local stuff so may find something in the meantime.  I'll get back to you in due course if I'm still looking.

3 hours ago, Basilpea said:

Hi Steve,

I'd like to see and try this bass but it's a 5 hour journey from Surrey and current restrictions forbid an overnight stay.  I may work out something, otherwise I will have to wait until restrictions are lifted, although I'm looking at more local stuff so may find something in the meantime.  I'll get back to you in due course if I'm still looking.

Thanks for your interest. Difficult time to travel and buy a bass. Cheers!

I keep coming back to this for a look. Stunning looking bass! When you say “attributed to an unknown early 21st Century maker” does that mean you know the maker’s name but he is not well known or you don’t know who made the bass? If the latter how do you know it was made in Hungary? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The story from the chap I bought it from was that it was made as part of a batch in Hungary for a well known and expensive shop in the South of EnglandIt was finished and setup by a UK luthier but then bought by the previous owner before it made it into the aforesaid shop. It's a quality piece of kit.

Steve

• Thanks 1

• Rich locked this topic