Why become a member? ×

ABBA Bass Sound - What gear?

DanOwens

Me and a few friends are putting together an ABBA band for a PRIDE event in September. I have a cheapo passive PJ Yamaha and a Darkstar'd Precision. What toys do I 'need' to buy to get some ABBA sounds? Synth pedal? Bass preamp to 'active-up' the Yamaha?

What would you recommend?

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If this is a one-off tribute gig, I wouldn't buy any gear for it. Get a regular Fender low mid sound and you'll be there.

This. Who is seriously either going to be able to tell any difference between your tone and that on the record, or really be bothered? 

• Like 2

Abba bass parts turned out to be far more subtle and complex than I first imagined, the quality of musicianship is very very high. Underplaying should probably be the rule of the day, unless you have a lot of time to rehearse. And any bass with Fender on the headstock (or derivative of) will do the job, although of course the Hagstrom Super Swede is the real deal :)

image.png.20b37a9869bf17c8d49066ce336799bb.png 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Gadd, speaks for himself, I know but, blimey, Anders Wihk and Svante Henryson also know what they are doing.

The arrangements work great.

And the album is excellent too. I've been listening to it hundreds of times since I bought it when it was released.

61d6zvvW7RL._SY400_.jpg

• Like 1

There were three different Bass players on all those ABBA tracks. Although Rutger Gunnarsson played on the bulk of them, UK Bassist, Mike Watson, played on some of the big hits as well (Arnold Paseiro played on Voulez Vous) . 

A good read here about them all. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/philwbass.com/2014/01/02/the-bassists-of-abba/amp/?espv=1

• Like 2

Rutgar Gunnarsson usually played a  60's Fender Jazz or a  70's Musicman Stingray. Later he used the Hagstrom Super Swede and a Steinberger (according to his interview in Bass Player years ago.)

Mike Watson  usually used a '60's Fender Jazz.

19 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Love Gadd, but that’s horrid 😄

Luckily I never heard of them to be disappointed but that is really awful.

We play does your mother know, but I suspect you don't want to play it like us. I use the Obsydian drive on the helix, with a little bypass on a second channel to retain bass. 

On 02/03/2020 at 21:28, lemmywinks said:

Some great (and unexpectedly complex) bass lines in ABBA songs, have fun. I just use a bog standard J bass sound, had far more fun learning/playing ABBA than I thought I would!

If you think the bass lines are great (some of the best lines ever written in my pop imho), listen to the isolated vocals on youtube. It'll blow your socks off when you hear exactly what is going on...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

If you think the bass lines are great (some of the best lines ever written in my pop imho), listen to the isolated vocals on youtube. It'll blow your socks off when you hear exactly what is going on...

My opinion , is that Benny and Bjorn are ahead of Lennon and McCartney , in crafting perfect pop songs . Some of them are perfect

• Like 3

Even Lemmy was an Abba fan. That said, they came long after the Beatles and did learn their lesson more than well. Great pop tunes, for sure, very very well composed and arranged. Wish there were still so good pop bands nowadays.